Week 1 GDT - Minnesota Vikings vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, John232 said:

Not on this forum. But man, you'd think we just had the second coming off the Lobster. 

Lol. The Jimmy g is a bust things are pretty funny. 

There were some things in this game that still very much concern me, but overall I really don't think we can ask for more at this point. It's hard to watch in the moment sometimes, but in the end, that game finished largely how I thought it was going to, so really hard too feel any sort of bigger disappointment than just losing the game

12 minutes ago, John232 said:

I'm wondering if Pettis is starting sooner rather than later.

Suppose it depends on Goodwin. If Goodwin is out, I think you start Pettis. I wasn't overly impressed with Garcon today, though admittedly he got crunched a few good times

17 minutes ago, John232 said:

I'm wondering if Pettis is starting sooner rather than later.

I asked this question a few weeks back. He's just too good not to start. But right now Goodwin is the obvious #1, and Garcon is still the guy you rely on to make the tough catches in the middle of the field. If Pettis over takes Garcon, then who fills that void? 

I just say, Shanny drew up some awesome deep shots today. We just didn't execute, mainly due to drops or Jimmy G having to rush the throw. You put on the field Pettis/Kittle/Goodwin? Sheesh you would have so many opportunities for big plays. 

Yeah so, definitely some overreactions, don't look at the 49ers subreddit, it's a whole mess in there. First off, it could have been way worse, losing by only 8 points to a Superbowl contender in spite of numerous mistakes is impressive to me. Offense wise, it actually wasn't that bad. Jimmy G did move the ball well when he had some protection. Made some bad errors in judgment, but I think the essence of playing against that D strikes fear into anyone. Two passes for TDs were dropped and Kittle dropped a 40-50 yard pass that could have set up another TD. I'm scared for the offensive line to be honest, that could be a nightmare if Person or Garnett are out long term, here's to hoping not. 

As for defense, pretty solid. Saleh made some adjustments and the Niners held them back pretty well outside of the first quarter. Thomas was nonexistent outside of his horrific mistake, I hope he thinks long and hard about that one. Buckner IS going to win a DPOY sometime in his career, he is simply too good not to, I love him. Fred Warner is a player, he's going to be a beast, I can't wait to see him next to Foster in two weeks. Sherman and Spoon did well, happy about that. I didn't notice Colbert, Tartt made some good plays. Coyle sucks, way too slow. 

If this team had more discipline we could have one this game. I can understand injuries. I can see missed tackles or blocks, because the talent you have just isn't that good. But things like fumbles, dropping easy passes, jumping offsides on 4th down, or running the wrong route just makes me want to puke as a fan. It's really frustrating when you have guys that you know shouldn't be making those mistakes. Feels like it's worse than a team just being straight up better than you. The Vikings are, but I felt like this game should have been closer. Hopefully next week at home against the Lions it's a different story. McKinnon and Foster would have helped immensely today. 

At least the Seahawks, and Cardinals lost. Not that I have hopes of winning the division or anything. 

Meh, its the first game. Mistakes and sloppy play are things I expect the first two weeks. Especially with such a young team and with the number of young players we have playing vital roles. Not making excuses but its the growing pains of a young team learning what it takes to win consistently in this league. Its a process. We're still in the beginning stages of that process. We'll be fine. 

I know Jimmy is gonna get alot of flak from the talking heads for his performance but he wasn't that bad. Granted he wasn't that great either but the 3 ints look worst on paper than if you actually watched the game. He did miss Kittle wide open in the back of endzone and that Rhodes int was clearly a bad accuracy, but the only really just bad decision-making was the Harrison pick. Drops hurt not only his overall production but the flow of the offense as well. He most certainly needs to be better, but the offense as a whole lost that game, not Jimmy and his interceptions.

10 hours ago, Forge said:

There were some things in this game that still very much concern me, but overall I really don't think we can ask for more at this point. It's hard to watch in the moment sometimes, but in the end, that game finished largely how I thought it was going to, so really hard too feel any sort of bigger disappointment than just losing the game

Yes. The team is who we thought they were. A better than average ~10-6ish team that has some real strengths and flaws. They had the expected problems with the Minnesota defensive front and gave up some yardage to a very talented offense. But they didn't break defensively and moved the ball well and were an incorrect route and a goalline fumble away from a win against top competition. After starting last year 0-9, I will take it all day.

So Garoppolo was pressured on 19 of his 38 dropbacks which is pretty bad and a big reason for his performance. Now, luckily for us only a select few teams have the front the Vikings have, but feels like our guard situation is going to be a weakness once again. If McGlinchey has to play guard and Gillam has to play RT, then that's also going to be a position of weakness.

Shanny by all means is a phenomenal play caller. He was still able to draw up some WIDE open receivers down the field against an elite defense. But I'm still not sure why he doesn't use more spread formations in the RZ. He got way too predictable yesterday down in the RZ and that proved to be costly. Just watching the Patriots/Chiefs/Saints all kill it in the RZ by using spread formations made it all that worse. Hopefully this is something he adjusts to ASAP. This was as frustrated as I've ever seen him in a post game conference. You could tell he knew we let one slip away with all those RZ mistakes. 

This game was so winnable. Just eliminate a mistake or two and there may have been enough of a swing in the score to win it. Wow. 

And much of the mistakes were on the O. Including Jimmy. Did not see that coming. I guess it's best to get that sort of game out of the way ASAP, though, right? I hope it is out of our system and our effort improves from here on... :$

Archived