Week 1 GDT - Minnesota Vikings vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I think that @N4L may be a little right though. I feel like if it's not something serious, its very possible the staff could worry about his toughness. Remember, Kyle already seemed irked some this off season by how long it took Garnett get into full practice swings with that leg injury. We had the same issues with Brown.

And the staff loves Magnuson, who played through some pretty bad injuries last year. He sucked it up and kept grinding through, out of position at that. I do think the coaches value this "toughness". Without saying they'll hate players who go down with nagging injuries often, they'll perhaps just value those who do a lot more, and hold them in high esteem, probably even publicly. 

The loss stinks but there was a lot of good in this game if they fix the mistakes. For such a young unproven group on defense they did pretty well keeping their offense honest. If the offense fixes their mistakes they were still in the game they made some dumb plays that cost them big time. I didn't like all those rushes at the goal line, it was so predictable. Against a defense like the Vikes you gotta be more creative that's why they caused the fumble. I'm mad at the loss but it doesn't hurt as much knowing they were in that game and had a chance still.

Just watched the whole game. Thoughts:

• Our Defense played pretty well. There was some poor tackling, but guys like Cook and Diggs do that. They just made some great plays, those touchdown catches were beautiful by Diggs and Rudolph. Cousins also played really, really well.
  • K'uann Williams is an enigma to me. He will have great games, then have games like this where he consistently messes things up
  • Fred Warner and Foster is going to be scary
  • Buckner is a one man wrecking crew
  • Sherman had a very good game, looks like we don't have to worry about him. Akhello got beat but made some nice plays too.
  • Tartt sort of did some Tartt things, inconsistent, but made some really nice plays too
  • Coyle is a good backup, but he's just limited. 
  • Solly's jump is inexcusable. He's really..not doing much to make me feel better. He looks better, looks more active than last year. But he really needs to step it up. Our pressure cannot rely completely on Blitz packages and Buckner. Really a tough pill to swallow that we drafted this guy. Hopefully he gets into a rhythm this year. 
  • Our run game is going to be an issue. Reallllly concerned about our ability to protect Jimmy
  • Speaking of Jimmy, he showed enough flashes this game to not make me worry, but he made some really poor decisions and throws. That miss on Kittle was bad. That last INT was real bad. The Rhodes pick was a great play on poorly thrown ball. He had bad game, but he also showed his talent. Hopefully he gets his **** together soon. 
  • We absolutely shot ourselves in the foot multiple times this game. Kittle, Jimmy G, Breida/Morris and Garcon really left a lot of chances on the table. really frustrating to watch at times
  • Kendrick Bourne is not good.

Like everything there, @John232 , but not ready to convict Bourne of sucktitude. 

I'm a Jimmy G fan as most know, but that INT was barely on Bourne. Looked to me like a poorly placed pass and poor QB footwork to get it where it needed to be. 

Bad loss, but on the road vs Minny was quite the challenge. Too many screwups, but no one could argue against SF being very much in it, had the turnovers not sunk the efforts. Things just fell right for them and wrong for us. It's whatever. This ain't no 40 yard dash. It's a mofo marathon. 

2 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Like everything there, @John232 , but not ready to convict Bourne of sucktitude. 

I'm a Jimmy G fan as most know, but that INT was barely on Bourne. Looked to me like a poorly placed pass and poor QB footwork to get it where it needed to be. 

Bad loss, but on the road vs Minny was quite the challenge. Too many screwups, but no one could argue against SF being very much in it, had the turnovers not sunk the efforts. Things just fell right for them and wrong for us. It's whatever. This ain't no 40 yard dash. It's a mofo marathon. 

Probably  a bit unfair to Bourne, but he has got to do a better job of keeping his feet. At least twice he got mugged to the ground. The pass that would have gone to Bourne if he ran the correct route probably would have been incomplete. Not even a matter of the throw, just not a good place to go with the ball. I will say, Jimmy G is not hesitant and I don't see that changing any time soon. Hopefully he can get on the same page with guys and maybe work on sailing balls. 

His Deep ball did look better though. That pass to Juice, the one that was well defended that went to Pettis, and the Kittle pass were all really well thrown. 

1 hour ago, John232 said:

Just watched the whole game. Thoughts:

• Our Defense played pretty well. There was some poor tackling, but guys like Cook and Diggs do that. They just made some great plays, those touchdown catches were beautiful by Diggs and Rudolph. Cousins also played really, really well.
  • K'uann Williams is an enigma to me. He will have great games, then have games like this where he consistently messes things up
  • Fred Warner and Foster is going to be scary
  • Buckner is a one man wrecking crew
  • Sherman had a very good game, looks like we don't have to worry about him. Akhello got beat but made some nice plays too.
  • Tartt sort of did some Tartt things, inconsistent, but made some really nice plays too
  • Coyle is a good backup, but he's just limited. 
  • Solly's jump is inexcusable. He's really..not doing much to make me feel better. He looks better, looks more active than last year. But he really needs to step it up. Our pressure cannot rely completely on Blitz packages and Buckner. Really a tough pill to swallow that we drafted this guy. Hopefully he gets into a rhythm this year. 
  • Our run game is going to be an issue. Reallllly concerned about our ability to protect Jimmy
  • Speaking of Jimmy, he showed enough flashes this game to not make me worry, but he made some really poor decisions and throws. That miss on Kittle was bad. That last INT was real bad. The Rhodes pick was a great play on poorly thrown ball. He had bad game, but he also showed his talent. Hopefully he gets his **** together soon. 
  • We absolutely shot ourselves in the foot multiple times this game. Kittle, Jimmy G, Breida/Morris and Garcon really left a lot of chances on the table. really frustrating to watch at times
  • Kendrick Bourne is not good.

Why do you say Bourne is not good? Because of that INT? Aside from that he wasn't even targeted right? 

27 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

That INT was completely on Bourne, he even admitted it.

Just now, oldman9er said:

Okay. Very enlightening. Happy to consider this as less a concern of our QBotF then.  :) 

Still a bad game from Jimmy but at least that throw wasn't because he was inept. 

Overall this is about what I expected from us. We managed to stay competitive which I'm happy about but all those mistakes cost us the chance at winning which really sucked. If only Morris didn't fumble, if only Kittle caught that deep pass, if only Bourne ran the right route. If we can clean up those mistakes we can stay competitive with some of the best teams in the league which is really great when you think about where we were at this point last year. 

Archived