Week 1 GDT - Minnesota Vikings vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Given how poorly we executed and performed offensively, I don't see how how any Niner fan can hang their head after that loss. Sure, it sucks losing a game you could have just as easily won but most of us didnt pencil that in as a 'W' before the season. If anything, that performance should show you just how much potential this offense has when we get all our ducks in a row. I came away from that game, more optimistic than frustrated.  

Not a bad breakdown, but I still don't understand why people keep saying that Pettis dropped that pass in the endzone. The ball hit the defenders arm before it reached his hands. That was a pass deflection 100%. Also the guy keeps talking about garcons 'drop' where he got sandwiched in between two defenders. That's not a drop imo. A drop is a failed catch of a pass that had a reasonable explanation of getting caught. That would have been an incredible catch if he would have held on.

I didn't watch the whole video but it would be nice if he tried to identify coverages. Seems like they played a fair amount of man coverage, which is why those shallow crossing routes had success. There were definite times where the vikes were playing zone, like the play where Pettis slips and falls. 

I love the all 22 film, it really shows Kyle's brilliance. He's the master of identifying the coverage or forcing you into certain play calls and then hitting you with the right route combinations to take advantage of it. 

17 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Given how poorly we executed and performed offensively, I don't see how how any Niner fan can hang their head after that loss. Sure, it sucks losing a game you could have just as easily won but most of us didnt pencil that in as a 'W' before the season. If anything, that performance should show you just how much potential this offense has when we get all our ducks in a row. I came away from that game, more optimistic than frustrated.  

49ers have a good team with a very smart head coach. Jimmy G is the real deal imo. I think you're lacking at WR and RB but it's nothing that free agency and the draft can't fix. I thought your defense did a good job against the Vikings offense. Nothing but good things coming for San Francisco.

3 hours ago, TENINCH said:

49ers have a good team with a very smart head coach. Jimmy G is the real deal imo. I think you're lacking at WR and RB but it's nothing that free agency and the draft can't fix. I thought your defense did a good job against the Vikings offense. Nothing but good things coming for San Francisco.

I don't know that we're lacking at WR necessarily, but we are lacking a redzone threat. Whether that player happens to be a RB, WR, or TE isn't as relevant as finding the guy who is going to score TDs. It might end up being a WR, but that is our real need. Even with a healthy McKinnon, I'd agree the RB corps still needs a third piece. Morris, outside of the fumble, has looked fine, but is not a long-term solution. 

This game didn't necessarily show it well, but Goodwin, Pettis, and Taylor look to be a good, young corps of receivers and Garcon should theoretically help with that. Bourne and Richie James have potential in our depths as well. 

19 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I don't know that we're lacking at WR necessarily, but we are lacking a redzone threat. Whether that player happens to be a RB, WR, or TE isn't as relevant as finding the guy who is going to score TDs. It might end up being a WR, but that is our real need. Even with a healthy McKinnon, I'd agree the RB corps still needs a third piece. Morris, outside of the fumble, has looked fine, but is not a long-term solution. 

This game didn't necessarily show it well, but Goodwin, Pettis, and Taylor look to be a good, young corps of receivers and Garcon should theoretically help with that. Bourne and Richie James have potential in our depths as well. 

Agreed, and I still think Kittle has to be our go to RZ target. He did beat Smith in the 4th quarter but Garoppolo overthrew him. Kittle can be our version of Travis Kelce. He has that type of athleticism and is a match up nightmare for LBs. 

Kittle could have easily had close to 180 or so yards last game but dropped a 40+ yard reception and then another one he had beat Smith by a few yards but the pressure got to Jimmy G so he overthrew him by a few yards.s 

The problem is that Shanny's offense is all designed around open field tactics of threatening everywhere and getting openings somewhere. Kittle can thrive in that offense most of the time. But there's a reason we don't do well in the redzone and I think it's partly because those same tactics that work at midfield with 50 yards or open field ahead of you don't work nearly as well when everything is compressed down to about a 20 yard window. Right now I'm not sure that Shanny believes in the kind of plays that Gronk has probably scored half of his TDs on - simply being bigger and stronger than the defender and outmuscling him for the ball. I'm not sure he believes in corner fades either, which is a staple of a lot of redzone tactics. Aiming for separation is great. But the chances of achieving that get a lot harder when the field is constricted and all 11 defenders are rushing or wihin 10-15 yards of the los.

4 hours ago, big9erfan said:

The problem is that Shanny's offense is all designed around open field tactics of threatening everywhere and getting openings somewhere. Kittle can thrive in that offense most of the time. But there's a reason we don't do well in the redzone and I think it's partly because those same tactics that work at midfield with 50 yards or open field ahead of you don't work nearly as well when everything is compressed down to about a 20 yard window. Right now I'm not sure that Shanny believes in the kind of plays that Gronk has probably scored half of his TDs on - simply being bigger and stronger than the defender and outmuscling him for the ball. I'm not sure he believes in corner fades either, which is a staple of a lot of redzone tactics. Aiming for separation is great. But the chances of achieving that get a lot harder when the field is constricted and all 11 defenders are rushing or wihin 10-15 yards of the los.

I agree. I believe part of the problem is Shanny's scheme, specifically the zone-blocking. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I remember years ago reading a article that stated zone-blocking offenses typically struggle in the red-zone and with short-yardage plays, more than their non zone-blocking counter parts.

Archived