Week 1 GDT - Minnesota Vikings vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

12 minutes ago, Ataal said:

I'm not as optimistic as some of you here.  I think our running game is going to be somewhere between awful and below average for pretty much the entire season.  And, it has nothing to do with the recent injury.   Our defense has some glaring holes as well.

That said, Jimmy GQ will make up for some of our deficiencies and I think a lot of people are sleeping on our receiving corps.

We're still rebuilding.  And, we're going to look a lot better this year than the first 10 or so games last year.  But, a good team like the Vikings are probably going to have their way with us.

The season hasn't started yet and maybe I'm just overly cautious.  So, I could be way off.  If I am, I will happily eat that humble pie. 

Prediction: 30-17 Vikings. 

Nope, I'm in agreement with a lot of what you say. I'm hoping for the humble pie lol

3 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

In all seriousnesses, @Ataal, I'm not truly as confident in the team as I may let on.

I can see a spectrum of 8 to 11 wins for the season. I just choose to say screw it, I'm going in pumped and optimistic. :) 

8 on your low end?  I think that's pretty optimistic.  lol  I might go as low as 6, to be honest.  I'm very concerned about our lack of pass rush and I just don't feel like our secondary is good enough to make up for it.  I may change my tune after I see how Sherman plays for a few games, though.  Going to watch our safeties pretty closely, too.  So many question marks going into this season.

Now that the Debbie Downer stuff is out of the way....  I am, however, very excited to see what this offense can do after an offseason with Jimmy GQ meshing with the guys.  I have extremely high hopes for Goodwin.  And, even if Sherman doesn't come back 100%, I saw him basically coaching a lot of guys during the offseason in a ton of videos.  I think his presence and leadership will help in ways that can't be quantified easily.

I don't expect us to win tomorrow, but I want to see us playing competitively and making strides in areas we lacked last year.  Kind of craving that humble pie, actually.  I bet it's delicious. 

9 hours ago, Ataal said:

8 on your low end?  I think that's pretty optimistic.  lol  I might go as low as 6, to be honest.  I'm very concerned about our lack of pass rush and I just don't feel like our secondary is good enough to make up for it.  I may change my tune after I see how Sherman plays for a few games, though.  Going to watch our safeties pretty closely, too.  So many question marks going into this season.

Now that the Debbie Downer stuff is out of the way....  I am, however, very excited to see what this offense can do after an offseason with Jimmy GQ meshing with the guys.  I have extremely high hopes for Goodwin.  And, even if Sherman doesn't come back 100%, I saw him basically coaching a lot of guys during the offseason in a ton of videos.  I think his presence and leadership will help in ways that can't be quantified easily.

I don't expect us to win tomorrow, but I want to see us playing competitively and making strides in areas we lacked last year.  Kind of craving that humble pie, actually.  I bet it's delicious. 

I refuse to believe a 6-10 team last year with 5 losses of 3 points or less when their quarterback savior was on another team cannot improve by a single win with an improved roster and the quarterback presumably for 16 games.

8 hours ago, Aussie9er said:

Nice it takes getting use to watching nfl in early hrs of the morning 

The late games are my favourite wake up at 8am and theres a game on 

You're lucky. My late games start at 4am here. So 49ers home games are a pain, and a joy to watch at the same time. 

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I refuse to believe a 6-10 team last year with 5 losses of 3 points or less when their quarterback savior was on another team cannot improve by a single win with an improved roster and the quarterback presumably for 16 games.

Absolutely. This defense, though young, is improved. The offense, sans a big name player, is improved. We were a better team last year than our record indicated. If you flashback to last year, the Cowgirls, Eagles, and maybe the Panthers were the only teams that clearly out-classed us last year. If this team doesn't win at least 8 games with this schedule, I'll be disappointed. Personally, I'm predicting 9-7 and that's me being cautious. The only team we have no business beating on our schedule, we play in 3 hours. Every other team on our schedule is a very winnable game. If we can stay relatively healthy, I think we could be scratching and clawing for a wildcard berth by week 16. No homer glasses, just my honest opinion of what I believe this team is capable. 

3 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

That's the thing. If we had Jimmy G all last year then we would have won minimum 9 games. So if we were coming off a 9-7 season, would people still be picking us to win 6 games? Granted, this team definitely has its flaws and the early schedule looks brutal, but folks are underrating what a top notch HC/QB can do. 

Back to the game. Barrows said DJ Jones was one of the practice performers of the week award the team gives and that usually goes for players that aren't expected to play in the game. Richie James was another one, but that surely can't be right, right??? I mean I get he would only get time in the base front, but Mitchell shouldn't be getting all the snaps there. 

Archived