Preseason Week 2 Gameday Thread: Packers @ Redskins

MacReady

11 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

On the Trevor Davis fumble- that is kick catch interference.  It's the exact same play that Hyde was talking about last season.

The ball is not MUFFED until it hits the ground.  It can hit a player, bounce up in the air, but if the kicking team interferes with him after he initially bobbles it, that is kick catch interference.

Still, not a good look for him

I kind of agree, but what's the official language on this?

9 minutes ago, CentralFC said:

I kind of agree, but what's the official language on this?

might only apply in the case of a fair catch.  I'm not totally sure, the rule references an "airborne kick".  Ball is airborne, but unsure if the "airborne kick" rules still apply once he bobbles it.

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

might only apply in the case of a fair catch.  I'm not totally sure, the rule references an "airborne kick".  Ball is airborne, but unsure if the "airborne kick" rules still apply once he bobbles it.

Yeah it has to be only on a fair catch. Otherwise returner could theoretically bobble the ball all the way in for a TD and not get interfered with :)

Rulebook language is: (R10 S2 A2)

Item 3. Muff. After a valid fair-catch signal, the opportunity to catch a kick does not end if the ball is muffed. The player who signaled for a fair catch must have a reasonable opportunity to catch the muffed ball before it hits the ground without interference by members of the kicking team, and regardless of whether the ball strikes another player or an official.

so yeah it only applies after a signal. Either way, I'm not so concerned about the individual circumstances, it's more that it indicates a lack of ability to gain control of the ball, whether or not the rules grant us the ball back afterward.

36 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

, it's more that it indicates a lack of ability to gain control of the ball, whether or not the rules grant us the ball back afterward.

yeah, I totally agree with that.  I was just a bit miffed since I thought the same call went against us.  Anyway, Davis needs to keep getting reps and chances in the PS.  Force him to take all the PR reps, because he's got really good upside if he can balance risk/reward 

My takeaways from the game:

• Marwin Evans looks phenomenal. TT doesn't get enough credit for how he took an awful safety group a few years ago and turned it into what we have now. 
  • Spriggs looks like he could be cut. 
  • Pre-Season Janis is one of the GOATs. Does he just flourish against backup caliber players, or is it on Rodgers/McCarthy for not giving him a chance in the regular season?
  • Kenny Clark is a baaaaad man. Another position that TT did a great job of restocking. Barring Lowry's injury being something catastrophic, this could be the best group we've had in some time. 
  • Jake Ryan is ILB1 and might not be coming off the field on 3rd down anymore. Looks competent in all areas.
  • Fackrell plays better than he practices. Noticed him set the edge and put on a few nice rushes (albeit against some backups).
  • Geoff Gray might be starting at Guard for us this time next year, if not sooner. 

39 minutes ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

• Marwin Evans looks phenomenal. TT doesn't get enough credit for how he took an awful safety group a few years ago and turned it into what we have now. 
  • Pre-Season Janis is one of the GOATs. Does he just flourish against backup caliber players, or is it on Rodgers/McCarthy for not giving him a chance in the regular season?
  • Kenny Clark is a baaaaad man. Another position that TT did a great job of restocking. Barring Lowry's injury being something catastrophic, this could be the best group we've had in some time. 
  • Jake Ryan is ILB1 and might not be coming off the field on 3rd down anymore. Looks competent in all areas.
  • Fackrell plays better than he practices. Noticed him set the edge and put on a few nice rushes (albeit against some backups).
  • Geoff Gray might be starting at Guard for us this time next year, if not sooner. 

I actually thought Jake Ryan was pretty good on passing downs last year. Obviously the staff didn't, but I wasn't seeing too much to complain about. 

1 hour ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

Love the write up, good to know one back up olineman is doing okay!

Archived