2019 Prospects thread.

Jimmy Austin

22 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

And idk about the top 3 being on the same tier if we are switching to a 3-4 , i mean quinnen William's would be wasted without another DT next to him imo  I dont think hes big / strong enough go be a 5 tech 

Bosa could be a 5 tech... but after hearing BA talk up LB speed Allen might be our guy . . . Just my powers of deduction at work

I think you got it backwards, Williams would be an ideal 5 tech. Bosa isn't a fit on the DL in a 3-4, he would be the 3-4 OLB/EDGE...

Bosa is a questionable fit in a sole 3-4 IMO. He's a perfect 4-3 DE...

Williams as a 5 tech and Allen as an OLB are the prototype 3-4 players...

4 hours ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

I think the top-3 are all on the same tier tbh, which is head and shoulders above everyone else in the draft. 

A guy I'm really high on is Montez Sweat. Really long kid, who has some of the best hands in the draft in my opinion. I want to see how he tests out at the combine, because he doesn't have the best lateral movement skills on tape. If he can show some more fluid movement, and better hips and bend. I think he will shoot up boards. 

And then the real big question is how Burns weighs in, and then how he looks with that added weight. If he can show up at 240ish, and still maintain the same kind of bend, and athleticism... he may be special. 

Good stuff, I believe Sweat is best suited for a 4-3 DE only, maybe kick inside to DT in nickel.  Burns has a good shot to vault himself into the top 10 with a good combine.  

3 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

And idk about the top 3 being on the same tier if we are switching to a 3-4 , i mean quinnen William's would be wasted without another DT next to him imo  I dont think hes big / strong enough go be a 5 tech 

Bosa could be a 5 tech... but after hearing BA talk up LB speed Allen might be our guy . . . Just my powers of deduction at work

Yea you're a little backwards though homie. Quinnen Williams is a perfect 5-tech. Really strong at the point of attack, and showed last year he can not only handle double teams, but at points dominate them. 

And Bosa would be a 3-4 OLB in our set, and tbh I think I great one. His brother has player the same position for years in SD and has balled out. I don't think it is an ideal fit, but Bosa has more than enough athleticism and bend to be an OLB. 

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

Good stuff, I believe Sweat is best suited for a 4-3 DE only, maybe kick inside to DT in nickel.  Burns has a good shot to vault himself into the top 10 with a good combine.  

Really? I don't see that at all... I think he weighs in at maybe 255lbs at the combine. I don't see him being an inside guy at all. I do think he is best suited for a 4-3 DE. And thats because of the lack of lateral movement like I said earlier. But if he proves he can move well in space, I think he is a really good fit for our scheme. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

Really? I don't see that at all... I think he weighs in at maybe 255lbs at the combine. I don't see him being an inside guy at all. I do think he is best suited for a 4-3 DE. And thats because of the lack of lateral movement like I said earlier. But if he proves he can move well in space, I think he is a really good fit for our scheme. 

If his arm length is there, then in certain packages, it is possible.  LA moves Ingram inside some times.  Not suggesting Sweat is there all the time.  I could be way off base, but I think Sweat will be too stiff to play OLB.

At 5, they are in a great spot to get an outside pass rusher with a better bend.  I know there is a temptation to trade down, but to be able to draft a true outside pass rusher that can actually dip around the corner is pretty enticing.  

1 hour ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

And Bosa would be a 3-4 OLB in our set, and tbh I think I great one. His brother has player the same position for years in SD and has balled out. I don't think it is an ideal fit, but Bosa has more than enough athleticism and bend to be an OLB. 

Chargers haven't run a 3-4 defense since 2016. Bosa has been a 4-3 DE majority of his pro and collegiate career...

Regardless, I think Nick would adjust fine, but I think if you're asking him to do anything other than be straight rush 3-4 OLB, you're wasting his talents...

41 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

If his arm length is there, then in certain packages, it is possible.  LA moves Ingram inside some times.  Not suggesting Sweat is there all the time.  I could be way off base, but I think Sweat will be too stiff to play OLB.

At 5, they are in a great spot to get an outside pass rusher with a better bend.  I know there is a temptation to trade down, but to be able to draft a true outside pass rusher that can actually dip around the corner is pretty enticing.  

Rams did it for years as well with Quinn, Long and Hayes. All 3 would be rotate kicking inside on 3rd down and passing downs...

20 hours ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

Yea you're a little backwards though homie. Quinnen Williams is a perfect 5-tech. Really strong at the point of attack, and showed last year he can not only handle double teams, but at points dominate them. 

idk if i agree, Bosa is similar to JJ watt, thats why i likened him to a 5 tech, i dont think he would be good at all as a OLB 

and is it really just me that thinks Quinnen would be best suited for a 4-3? i just think he would be highly more productive with a DT partner rather than getting eaten by doubles in the NFL , he may have beat doubles in college but doubles in the NFL are going to be much tougher

48 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

idk if i agree, Bosa is similar to JJ watt, thats why i likened him to a 5 tech, i dont think he would be good at all as a OLB 

and is it really just me that thinks Quinnen would be best suited for a 4-3? i just think he would be highly more productive with a DT partner rather than getting eaten by doubles in the NFL , he may have beat doubles in college but doubles in the NFL are going to be much tougher

Watt weighed 290lbs... Bosa will weigh in at like 260lbs... I don’t see that at all. 

And Williams of course would be more productive in a 4-3. The system encourages playmakers in the middle. That’s not to say he wouldn’t excel as a 5-tech. Especially in a 1gap system that we play now. I don’t like to give him the Donald comparison, but that would be his role in our defense. 

1 hour ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

Watt weighed 290lbs... Bosa will weigh in at like 260lbs... I don’t see that at all. 

And Williams of course would be more productive in a 4-3. The system encourages playmakers in the middle. That’s not to say he wouldn’t excel as a 5-tech. Especially in a 1gap system that we play now. I don’t like to give him the Donald comparison, but that would be his role in our defense. 

ok maybe im thinkng of Joey Bosa?.. i thought Nick was bigger

ya if we stay in a 4-3 you could compare Quinnen to Donald , but if hes going to play  5 tech then that comparison is mute and i think we are better of trying to get Allen

just depends on what front we are going to play in on most downs

that said i still think the better player of the two is Quinnen

23 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

ok maybe im thinkng of Joey Bosa?.. i thought Nick was bigger

ya if we stay in a 4-3 you could compare Quinnen to Donald , but if hes going to play  5 tech then that comparison is mute and i think we are better of trying to get Allen

just depends on what front we are going to play in on most downs

that said i still think the better player of the two is Quinnen

You do know Aaron Donald has played the 5-tech for the last 2 years... in a 1-gap 3-4. Hence why I made the comparison. 

On 2/18/2019 at 6:17 AM, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

I think the top-3 are all on the same tier tbh, which is head and shoulders above everyone else in the draft. 

A guy I'm really high on is Montez Sweat. Really long kid, who has some of the best hands in the draft in my opinion. I want to see how he tests out at the combine, because he doesn't have the best lateral movement skills on tape. If he can show some more fluid movement, and better hips and bend. I think he will shoot up boards. 

And then the real big question is how Burns weighs in, and then how he looks with that added weight. If he can show up at 240ish, and still maintain the same kind of bend, and athleticism... he may be special. 

Big fan of Sweat as well. Top 3 edge rusher in the SEC for sure. I think he plays faster than what his time will say in the combine. He should go top 20 and could be there in the second. GREAT 3-4 OLB prospect. 

• Like 1