GDT Week 1: SEA @ DEN

Broncofan

21 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Thanks! I will have the 2nd quarter up today, and then the 2nd half by Friday. I love all 22 but it's time consuming. Fascinating, yes, but time consuming. I have to do it at work on my lunch break seeing as I already ignore my fiance for 6 hours on a Sunday night (if there is good 'soccer' on, this could actually be 12 hours .......)

Do you guys not have the option to get NFL gamepass? Up until 2 years ago it was absolutely flawless. Perfect streaming, they had the condensed replay (every play in 40 mins) up with 3 hours of the game finishing and the all-22 up by Tuesday. However, they've started using a different stream service now and it's so hit and miss. Search twitter for @nflgamepassEU and you will soon get a feel for the quality of product (and customer service).

Still - it's the only option I have because the illegal streams (which I would never use ...) are rubbish and you can't watch replays which is obviously an issue for me with the time zone.

Canada had Sunday Ticket, Gamepass and everything available until 2017.  Then DAZN bought the rights to it all.   It’s trying to stream all the games online in HighDef at one time but the tech hasn’t caught up.  Glitches, lag, no audio and worse even  no feed for games.  And each time we switch to another game the above problems could occur.  

The uproar was so bad DAZN agreed to let other providers issue the Sunday Ticket - but without Redzone and no All-22.    Imagine DirecTV doing that in USA (the sole provider IIRC).   They hold the exclusive rights but they are so unable to meet demand this is what the landscape looks like in Canada.  

So we have to choose between a terrible live provider who has it all vs. having live games that are watchable. The free feeds are awful in CAN because our speed aren’t nearly as good so to really enjoy live games it’s down to DAZN who has it all or no All-22 / Redzone TV provider with Sunday Ticket.   I’ll gladly take the latter - besides there is a limit to being away from family with wife and 2 teen girls (some days I question that though lol).  While I love my Broncos, watching the other games is both enjoyable for fantasy football (duh) and also gives a much better feel for how we are vs. the league - and to scout the opposition for GD too.   Like you said there has to be a limit - my wife already wears black on Sundays lol.  

Q2 notes from all 22

(Link to Q1 Notes Below)

-          Great job by Todd Davis on 2nd and 7 near the goalline to keep his zone responsibility whilst also keeping his eyes in the backfield to drive on Wilson when he vacated the pocket)

-          Parks in again at LB/S hybrid on 3rd down

-          Courtland Sutton playing the ‘end’ (don’t know the actual term) on FG block. Interesting

-          I really like the play action, naked bootleg with a Guard pulling to the way of the play action. Gets the LB’s chomping and the guy running ‘free’ is the Defense’s biggest man, who Case can easily escape when he’s on the move already. Butt with a 8 yard gain and 1st down

-          A lot of pre snap motion in this Offense. Love it. Could do with getting out of the huddle a bit quicker, though

-          Love Garrett Bolles going looking for work. He’s initially on the outside of a double team on a Seahawks DE (#90), but once the (impressive) penetration of the DT gets passed him, he moves all the way to the opposite A gap to pickup Bobby Wagner to spring Lindsay for a 10 yard gain. I’d be shocked if this was by design – to walk 5 yards across the Line is so, so difficult with that many bodies

pnc3KuZhj

pnS8PQqkj

-          Love Lindsay’s burst, but also his quick decision making. You can tell his running isn’t premeditated (like Booker); it’s really quick decision making

-          Frequently targeting the soft zone, 4-7 yards deep, inbetween the LB and outside CB that you get from a Cover 3. No idea why we went away from this (from what I remember watching live)

-          Courtland Sutton from the slot on a couple of occasions now, including the long Sanders TD (Sutton was wide open, running away from Earl Thomas which is no mean feat)

-          Perfect, 10/10 pass pro on the TD pass. So much of this is down to the success of the running game which averaged something like 7 yards per carry on that drive

-          Having a QB spy can limit you defensively, especially the ability to double prevent quick slants (LB assignment changes to the QB) but it’s great for screens as the spy is reading the QB all the way. Todd Davis used as a spy on early downs it appears

-          Ability of both Simmons and Stewart to play the deep, single high Safety gives Joe Woods the ability to really disguise coverages pre snap. Look at the still pre snap vs 3 seconds after the snap of the ball. Simmons at the far right hand side at the LOS …….. Stewart ends up in man coverage on the slot receiver to the right of the formation, with Simmons playing the single high Safety (shading to the right of our alignment)

pnBdc3QWj

plrF7PnNj

-          We ran a play out of the same 2 TE set that I mentioned earlier with a pulling Guard, but this time we ran out of it rather than play action. Jeff Heuerman even let the DE go in the same way, except last time he then ran into the flat rather than block on the 2nd level like he did here. Love those concepts whereby the look is the same, but the play is entirely different (run went for 11)

-          On the failed 3rd down, you can tell Case had Earl Thomas in the back of his mind. Sutton was in single coverage with Thomas playing the deep middle, but rather than toss it up, Keenum went for the safer back shoulder throw. That’s a low % throw in the tight coverage that the Seahawks rookie CB had

Todd Davis has come on so much. He has the ability to keep his eyes in the backfield on running plays whilst engaging the blocker. It’s a really tough skill; most LBs either play too aggressive against their blocker and the play passes them by, or they get washed out when attempting to peek in the backfield, thus not setting their weight properly. Below shows the makings of a big play before Davis read the RB, shedded his block and made the play for a 1 yard gain

poEvjuPEj

ASZ3W6.jpg

-          Roby playing almost exclusively in off man coverage. Stylistic or lacking in confidence? Either way, with the amount of jet sweeps and screens I saw last weekend, that will have to change

-          Just after singing his praises, Davis is at fault for the long completion to the rookie TE. Jewell, in for Marshall, passes off the TE to take the RB in the flat. Davis isn’t on the same page and switches way too late

-          First sign of something resembling the NASCAR package on 3rd and 13 late in the 2nd. Barrett at RE, Shane Ray and Gotsis in at DT with Von at LE (forced fumble on the play)

-          On the 2nd case pick (poor throw behind receiver) he had Courtland Sutton 1v1. Sutton won well on his route and I would’ve loved to see Case take a shot. Never looked his way unfortunately, perhaps due to quick pressure

-          2 missed tackles costing a total of circa 50 yards so far this half for Justin Simmons. It’s called Safety for a reason my friend …

-          Bradley Chubb with a pressure from RE. It’s been a quiet half for him for the most part. Shane Ray still operating solely at DE in this 2 minute drill

-          Another pressure from Chubb from RE, and he goes through (literally) a double team too. What on earth is Wilson doing with that spin towards his own endzone?

E1DHZu.jpg

zoO7HY.jpg

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Q2 notes from all 22

(Link to Q1 Notes Below)

-          Great job by Todd Davis on 2nd and 7 near the goalline to keep his zone responsibility whilst also keeping his eyes in the backfield to drive on Wilson when he vacated the pocket)

-          Parks in again at LB/S hybrid on 3rd down

-          Courtland Sutton playing the ‘end’ (don’t know the actual term) on FG block. Interesting

-          I really like the play action, naked bootleg with a Guard pulling to the way of the play action. Gets the LB’s chomping and the guy running ‘free’ is the Defense’s biggest man, who Case can easily escape when he’s on the move already. Butt with a 8 yard gain and 1st down

-          A lot of pre snap motion in this Offense. Love it. Could do with getting out of the huddle a bit quicker, though

-          Love Garrett Bolles going looking for work. He’s initially on the outside of a double team on a Seahawks DE (#90), but once the (impressive) penetration of the DT gets passed him, he moves all the way to the opposite A gap to pickup Bobby Wagner to spring Lindsay for a 10 yard gain. I’d be shocked if this was by design – to walk 5 yards across the Line is so, so difficult with that many bodies

pnc3KuZhj

pnS8PQqkj

-          Love Lindsay’s burst, but also his quick decision making. You can tell his running isn’t premeditated (like Booker); it’s really quick decision making

-          Frequently targeting the soft zone, 4-7 yards deep, inbetween the LB and outside CB that you get from a Cover 3. No idea why we went away from this (from what I remember watching live)

-          Courtland Sutton from the slot on a couple of occasions now, including the long Sanders TD (Sutton was wide open, running away from Earl Thomas which is no mean feat)

-          Perfect, 10/10 pass pro on the TD pass. So much of this is down to the success of the running game which averaged something like 7 yards per carry on that drive

-          Having a QB spy can limit you defensively, especially the ability to double prevent quick slants (LB assignment changes to the QB) but it’s great for screens as the spy is reading the QB all the way. Todd Davis used as a spy on early downs it appears

-          Ability of both Simmons and Stewart to play the deep, single high Safety gives Joe Woods the ability to really disguise coverages pre snap. Look at the still pre snap vs 3 seconds after the snap of the ball. Simmons at the far right hand side at the LOS …….. Stewart ends up in man coverage on the slot receiver to the right of the formation, with Simmons playing the single high Safety (shading to the right of our alignment)

pnBdc3QWj

plrF7PnNj

-          We ran a play out of the same 2 TE set that I mentioned earlier with a pulling Guard, but this time we ran out of it rather than play action. Jeff Heuerman even let the DE go in the same way, except last time he then ran into the flat rather than block on the 2nd level like he did here. Love those concepts whereby the look is the same, but the play is entirely different (run went for 11)

-          On the failed 3rd down, you can tell Case had Earl Thomas in the back of his mind. Sutton was in single coverage with Thomas playing the deep middle, but rather than toss it up, Keenum went for the safer back shoulder throw. That’s a low % throw in the tight coverage that the Seahawks rookie CB had

Todd Davis has come on so much. He has the ability to keep his eyes in the backfield on running plays whilst engaging the blocker. It’s a really tough skill; most LBs either play too aggressive against their blocker and the play passes them by, or they get washed out when attempting to peek in the backfield, thus not setting their weight properly. Below shows the makings of a big play before Davis read the RB, shedded his block and made the play for a 1 yard gain

poEvjuPEj

ASZ3W6.jpg

-          Roby playing almost exclusively in off man coverage. Stylistic or lacking in confidence? Either way, with the amount of jet sweeps and screens I saw last weekend, that will have to change

-          Just after singing his praises, Davis is at fault for the long completion to the rookie TE. Jewell, in for Marshall, passes off the TE to take the RB in the flat. Davis isn’t on the same page and switches way too late

-          First sign of something resembling the NASCAR package on 3rd and 13 late in the 2nd. Barrett at RE, Shane Ray and Gotsis in at DT with Von at LE (forced fumble on the play)

-          On the 2nd case pick (poor throw behind receiver) he had Courtland Sutton 1v1. Sutton won well on his route and I would’ve loved to see Case take a shot. Never looked his way unfortunately, perhaps due to quick pressure

-          2 missed tackles costing a total of circa 50 yards so far this half for Justin Simmons. It’s called Safety for a reason my friend …

-          Bradley Chubb with a pressure from RE. It’s been a quiet half for him for the most part. Shane Ray still operating solely at DE in this 2 minute drill

-          Another pressure from Chubb from RE, and he goes through (literally) a double team too. What on earth is Wilson doing with that spin towards his own endzone?

E1DHZu.jpg

zoO7HY.jpg

Re: Davis - for all of my disagreement on signing him back on a 2nd deal, when healthy he's a great run-stuffer.   It's just that's he literally a zero in pass coverage.    That breakdown of the plus/negative plays really covers what he brings & doesn't.  

Re: Roby, that's a key problem, because if he's uncomfortable in man, that makes us very vulnerable with Woods' scheme.   Definitely something to watch for.

Re: pre-snap motion, another reason why I think Musgrave is doing a fantastic job as OC.   He's so creative, and he's flexible in how he deploys personnel.   While I still have major doubts on VJ, I'd hope Musgrave would be retained or even promoted to HC if (more likely when) VJ moves on.

Re: Simmons, I really think he's going to continue to develop into a breakout S player barring injury.   I mentioned it in the Week 2 thread, but he's a good foil for Jared Cook this week, and I think he'd improve our TE coverage - just that if we had a good LB/S hybrid to cover TE's, then we'd be able to use Simmon's fantastic CF range to help the secondary even more.   I do think Simmons is going to be a great S for both TE matchups and his CF skills are already legit.

Awesome work, much respect again.

44 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Re: pre-snap motion, another reason why I think Musgrave is doing a fantastic job as OC.   He's so creative, and he's flexible in how he deploys personnel.   While I still have major doubts on VJ, I'd hope Musgrave would be retained or even promoted to HC if (more likely when) VJ moves on.

I suspect that Musgrave is a bit like Wade Phillips - great coordinator, probably a poor HC (and I get the impression he won't be interested).

Of the changes made last year the only one I liked was bringing in Musgrave as QB coach and I couldn't understand why he didn't get an OC gig somewhere given what he had done with the Raiders.

7 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

I suspect that Musgrave is a bit like Wade Phillips - great coordinator, probably a poor HC (and I get the impression he won't be interested).

Of the changes made last year the only one I liked was bringing in Musgrave as QB coach and I couldn't understand why he didn't get an OC gig somewhere given what he had done with the Raiders.

Yeah, that's possible Musgrave should only be an OC - why my plan A is OC in perpetuity, but sometimes that's not an option.  

Re: him only getting a QB coach gig after leaving OAK, Carr / Cooper / Crabtree and that OL got a ton of credit (and deservedly so) being top-shelf players.  I actually think Cooper will bounce back, as long as that curious decision to have him bulk up (it rarely goes well for WR's, see David Boston).    But back to Musgrave - he really got very little credit for the OAK surge after he left - obviously it's hindsight, but it's becoming clearer and clearer that Musgrave's scheme maximized the talent there.   It's a really positive sign for our O here.  I'm very optimistic on that front (even if I think Keenum is JAG, under Musgrave, we'll get the most of him before we move on - which I do think is likely after 2019.   That 2-year deal provides a window to avoid investing heavily in the 2019 draft class for QB if Kelly isn't the long-term answer, which is a good thing, because the top-end talent still looks incredibly meh).

3rd Q all 22 notes

·         Good range shown by Stewart on the failed 3rd and 1 on the Seahawks first drive of the half, but that’s a bad throw from Wilson. His TE is wide open and he leads him upfield instead of to the touchline. His RB is wide open for a 1st down too

·         Really not convinced by any of our jammers on ST. Brock isn’t twitchy enough (young mans game is ST), Sutton doesn’t have the low centre of gravity for it and the same for Patrick. Something to keep an eye on

·         Seahawks mixing in some man coverage on our opening drive. They played Cover 3 and zone Cover 1 almost all of the 1st half

·         Seahawks dialled up a 5 man pressure on 2nd and 5. 4 solid wins for us upfront with 1 negligible loss from Leary (his man dove straight inside, arguably too far inside to affect the play)

·         I mentioned in my earlier notes that I thought when watching live we went away from targeting 4-7 yard soft spots in the Cover 3 zone, but we are really attacking them in this 1st drive. You can see below we’ve got 5 routes all doing exactly that

3w23GZ.jpg

·         Booker is just not a good runner. He’s not got the vision needed to play the position and I know this is nothing new to this forum. He has to see that Paradis has inside leverage to peel off to the next level, thus the hole is going to be right in front of him. Instead, he bounces it to the right where the LB has perfect inside leverage on Veldheer to step in and stuff the play for no gain.

zrjhHv.jpg

T1Hwrs.jpg

·         Very conservative play call on 3rd and 11 from our 30 yard line. No route even coming close to the sticks. Worryingly, one of the first 3rd and longs we have results in a sack. Seahawks DE’s align in the ‘wide 9’; Bolles is far, far too aggressive with his kick out and Frank Clark runs a game with his DT, with Bolles now being far too wide to pickup the DT. Paradis is actually over there to try and pickup Clark but he’s too strong and bullies him for the sack

O5hEUD.jpg

·         Simply no chance of that pass Case threw for the 3rd INT being completed. It’s basically a throw into triple coverage. Based on the route concept, I imagine DT was his 2nd read and although not open, he’d have been a much better target. Once again, Courtland Sutton was coming across the middle of the field uncovered

·         Kerr playing more DE than NT in reserve. Seen Shelby Harris at NT, which is different to what you would expect

·         You can tell the Marshall TD wasn’t part of the route tree by the way Wilson points to tell him to go deep. Roby was all over the actual slant, but it’s really tough to stop that backyard stuff when the play breaks down. It’s a 5 man pressure from us and Wilson/the Center got the protection perfect

·         Calling it now that Courtland Sutton is going to block a FG this year

·         Whiff by McGovern for a gain of 1

·         Jake Butt in at FB for a solid run play of 6 yards. Bolles pancaked the RE on a zone run play to his side, so if anything that run should’ve gone for more

·         Butt in again at FB, and he was the target of the pass on the wheel route. They tried to clear the Cover 3 CB out with a go route and bring Butt in underneath with a favourable matchup. Unfortunately, it ended up being McDougle rather than a LB so no separation for Butt. Like the concept though. Sutton was the go route and he won with a really nice move off the LOS

·         On the Tim Patrick drop, Sanders got behind Earl Thomas. Trips to the right (Patrick, Thomas, Sanders) caused definite communication issues on the backend for the Seahawks in their Cover 3

·         The Simmons pick was once again a by-product of us showing something totally different pre snap to our actual coverage. Simmons was once again near the LOS before the snap, only for him to fall back into the zone flat as our RCB, with Pacman going back to a Safety in a Cover 2 look. I actually think Wilson saw Pacman go back, but missed Simmons

5Fln61.jpg

5y9VIe.jpg

·         Shelby Harris hasn’t played many snaps, but he’s making them count thus far. Really big fan of his, especially as a reserve. Penetrates on 1st and 10 for a TFL. Gets a QB pressure the very next play too!

·         We actually played Cover 3 on the 3rd and 11 that Seattle converted to end the Quarter. Not a big fan of that call, given Seattle’s Offense are really used to seeing that Defense. That said – it’s a hell of a throw by Wilson into the soft zone of triple coverage

9 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Will try to get to the 4th Quarter up tomorrow. Feel free to ask any questions on certain players, etc. 

The big take home message I'm getting is not to get All-22 coverage since it doesn't come with the Canuck Sunday Ticket - because it's mostly unnecessary with your great work.  Given the amount of time you're spending, it's much appreciated. 

Q4 all 22 notes

-          Really weird play design by Seattle to start the Quarter. They went play action to the left of their line, then threw a screen to the RB that they used for the play action. Well, our Defense bit on the play action but as a result, our LB’s were in position to be all over the screen …. Really weird. Not sure I’ve seen that before.

-          As I mentioned live in the game thread, the long TD to Lockett is a really nice double move by him. There’s no way Harris and Simmons are expecting a double move 20 yards down the field against our DL (who got washed out in the play action. Really nice play design)

-          Courtland Sutton can block. Really, really block

-          Although not the exact same Offense, there are similarities between our Offensive scheme and Sean McVay’s. It looks complicated, but it’s a simple one to learn. So many of the looks are the same but different plays can be ran out of them so a Defense can’t key on to anything

-          After the big Sutton gain, Case missed a wide open Sanders. Thomas was reading Case who was staring down Sutton all the way, and jumped on Sutton. Look at Sanders below; nothing but green grass. Case nearly through it to Garrett Bolles …

Icvlsv.jpg

-          I don’t know his game that well but Earl Thomas has shown no respect to Case’s ability to look off a Safety all game. The very next play Thomas jumps all over a check down to Lindsay. Crazy play if Case looks him off

-          Connor McGovern definitely getting tired now. Slow picking up games

-          Roby still playing 7-9 yards off his WR. Would love to know if this by design or not

-          Remember the pictures I put in earlier of Bolles oversetting vs a wide 9 rusher? Duane Brown did the exact same vs Bradley Chubb on that Von sack that lost about 15 yards Lovely inside move by Chubb

EEC8bM.jpg

SHgZFb.jpg

-          Wish I had the ability to make .GIFs at work. I remember when I first started watching football and Marshall Faulk would always say a RB has to be able to ‘get skinny’ in the NFL. Look at this ‘hole’ Philip Lindsay gets through for a gain of 7

PHuOus.jpg

-          Both Tim Patrick and Hamilton getting reps in whilst DT and Sanders take breathers

-          Based on this game, I’ve no idea how Booker sees the field this week. Key 3rd and 6, and he misses his blocking assignment (meant to be his strength). Earl Thomas comes on a delayed blitz but we’ve got it lined up perfectly – Leary on Griffin (#49), Booker on Thomas (#29). Booker jumps on Griffin in error leaving a clean shot for Thomas. Case manages to evade it and flip it to Booker but it’s short of a 1st

KKBark.jpg

-          After I criticised him earlier, it’s only fair I praise Tim Patrick for his Gunning in the 4th Quarter. Like his aggression, even if I don’t think he’s the shiftiest

-          Shane Ray getting his first consistent reps on the outside (LE) deep in the 4th Q

-          Terrible read by Wilson on the Chris Harris blitz and sack. Has to get that ball out quick to the side where the blitz has come from

-          Got to catch that punt, Pacman. Lost 15 yards from him not getting there

-          Look at the hole below on the first play on our final drive. Brilliantly blocked, led by McGovern on the pull block. Both Jake Butt and Heuerman can be proud of the way they’ve blocked in this game. Butt blocking a 300lbs man (#94) 1v1 on this play. Huge 20 yard run for Royce

pFn7tG.jpg

-          Throwback to the Shanahan era deep in the 4th, with us running the same play twice in three plays but to different sides

End of Game Review – Positives

-          Balanced, hard to key on Offense

-          Positive plays on 1st and 2nd down to keep ahead of the down

-          Ability to run the ball in obvious running situations late in the game

-          Cohesion upfront in the running game

-          All kinds of potential in a 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB formation due to TE versatility

-          Ability of skill positions to create separation in the passing game

-          Ability to pressure with 4 men (as in, all 4 men)

-          Play of Shelby Harris in reserve; will need this deep in the season and with Wolfe’s injury history

-          Scheme flexibility due to skillset of starting (and reserve) Safeties

End of Game Review – Concerns

-          Concern with covering TE’s on 1st and 2nd down. Our Defensive scheme doesn’t lend itself to using Safeties to cover TE’s on early downs

-          OL still relatively untested in 3rd and long situations. Due to their own good work on early downs, we stayed out of 3rd and long but we did have issues from a protection standpoint on the couple of occasions we did face 3rd and long

-          Gunners and Protectors on ST. Worry about our level of athleticism (or lack thereof) in this department. Will show more on the road without the thin air, thus more Punt returns to talk of

-          Case locking in on #1 read; directly lead to 2 of his 3 picks

-          Not much of a look at our CB depth due to Seahawks being thin at WR

I am on holiday in Croatia next week so I am afraid the breakdown of the Raiders game will have to wait!

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Q4 all 22 notes

-          Really weird play design by Seattle to start the Quarter. They went play action to the left of their line, then threw a screen to the RB that they used for the play action. Well, our Defense bit on the play action but as a result, our LB’s were in position to be all over the screen …. Really weird. Not sure I’ve seen that before.

-          As I mentioned live in the game thread, the long TD to Lockett is a really nice double move by him. There’s no way Harris and Simmons are expecting a double move 20 yards down the field against our DL (who got washed out in the play action. Really nice play design)

-          Courtland Sutton can block. Really, really block

-          Although not the exact same Offense, there are similarities between our Offensive scheme and Sean McVay’s. It looks complicated, but it’s a simple one to learn. So many of the looks are the same but different plays can be ran out of them so a Defense can’t key on to anything

-          After the big Sutton gain, Case missed a wide open Sanders. Thomas was reading Case who was staring down Sutton all the way, and jumped on Sutton. Look at Sanders below; nothing but green grass. Case nearly through it to Garrett Bolles …

Icvlsv.jpg

-          I don’t know his game that well but Earl Thomas has shown no respect to Case’s ability to look off a Safety all game. The very next play Thomas jumps all over a check down to Lindsay. Crazy play if Case looks him off

-          Connor McGovern definitely getting tired now. Slow picking up games

-          Roby still playing 7-9 yards off his WR. Would love to know if this by design or not

-          Remember the pictures I put in earlier of Bolles oversetting vs a wide 9 rusher? Duane Brown did the exact same vs Bradley Chubb on that Von sack that lost about 15 yards Lovely inside move by Chubb

EEC8bM.jpg

SHgZFb.jpg

-          Wish I had the ability to make .GIFs at work. I remember when I first started watching football and Marshall Faulk would always say a RB has to be able to ‘get skinny’ in the NFL. Look at this ‘hole’ Philip Lindsay gets through for a gain of 7

PHuOus.jpg

-          Both Tim Patrick and Hamilton getting reps in whilst DT and Sanders take breathers

-          Based on this game, I’ve no idea how Booker sees the field this week. Key 3rd and 6, and he misses his blocking assignment (meant to be his strength). Earl Thomas comes on a delayed blitz but we’ve got it lined up perfectly – Leary on Griffin (#49), Booker on Thomas (#29). Booker jumps on Griffin in error leaving a clean shot for Thomas. Case manages to evade it and flip it to Booker but it’s short of a 1st

KKBark.jpg

-          After I criticised him earlier, it’s only fair I praise Tim Patrick for his Gunning in the 4th Quarter. Like his aggression, even if I don’t think he’s the shiftiest

-          Shane Ray getting his first consistent reps on the outside (LE) deep in the 4th Q

-          Terrible read by Wilson on the Chris Harris blitz and sack. Has to get that ball out quick to the side where the blitz has come from

-          Got to catch that punt, Pacman. Lost 15 yards from him not getting there

-          Look at the hole below on the first play on our final drive. Brilliantly blocked, led by McGovern on the pull block. Both Jake Butt and Heuerman can be proud of the way they’ve blocked in this game. Butt blocking a 300lbs man (#94) 1v1 on this play. Huge 20 yard run for Royce

pFn7tG.jpg

-          Throwback to the Shanahan era deep in the 4th, with us running the same play twice in three plays but to different sides

End of Game Review – Positives

-          Balanced, hard to key on Offense

-          Positive plays on 1st and 2nd down to keep ahead of the down

-          Ability to run the ball in obvious running situations late in the game

-          Cohesion upfront in the running game

-          All kinds of potential in a 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB formation due to TE versatility

-          Ability of skill positions to create separation in the passing game

-          Ability to pressure with 4 men (as in, all 4 men)

-          Play of Shelby Harris in reserve; will need this deep in the season and with Wolfe’s injury history

-          Scheme flexibility due to skillset of starting (and reserve) Safeties

End of Game Review – Concerns

-          Concern with covering TE’s on 1st and 2nd down. Our Defensive scheme doesn’t lend itself to using Safeties to cover TE’s on early downs

-          OL still relatively untested in 3rd and long situations. Due to their own good work on early downs, we stayed out of 3rd and long but we did have issues from a protection standpoint on the couple of occasions we did face 3rd and long

-          Gunners and Protectors on ST. Worry about our level of athleticism (or lack thereof) in this department. Will show more on the road without the thin air, thus more Punt returns to talk of

-          Case locking in on #1 read; directly lead to 2 of his 3 picks

-          Not much of a look at our CB depth due to Seahawks being thin at WR

I am on holiday in Croatia next week so I am afraid the breakdown of the Raiders game will have to wait!

Really great work. Reading this was such a treat

Archived