would you trade bell?

3rivers

7 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Doesn't matter, he won't sit the whole year.  Bell loves money too much to do that.    But no, they wouldn't tag him again next year.  I'm sure they want to wash their hands of him.

If he were to show up at the end of Week 9,  the Steelers would work him back in and use him as much as possible down the stretch and into the playoffs.  After the season, it's sayonara and we get a 3rd rd Comp pick most likely.  

So he isn't going to risk injury for 15 million, but he will risk it for 5 million for the last 6 games?  I tend to think if he is willing to sit 10 games, he just might be willing to sit the entire year (assuming he is confident they will not tag him again).

8 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

So he isn't going to risk injury for 15 million, but he will risk it for 5 million for the last 6 games?  I tend to think if he is willing to sit 10 games, he just might be willing to sit the entire year (assuming he is confident they will not tag him again).

They don’t get a say. CBA puts him as automatically re-tagged. The only thing the team would do is rescind the tag if they chose. 

If he wants URFA he’ll have to play the last 6 games for $5mil. Last time this happened was VJax with the Chargers. Waited til week 10 for 2 years. When he got to FA he got a “big” deal from TB, but it was less than what the Chargers were offering in the first place. 

And being honest here: if he does sit out the entire year, doesn’t get the year accrued, less teams will want him. But at the same time we can then trade him for something. Even if it’s a 2nd round pick or 3rd round pick. 

We would still own his rights. So it’s a matter of telling a team that they may talk contract (basically allow them to tamper) but you need to trade then sign. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

They don’t get a say. CBA puts him as automatically re-tagged. The only thing the team would do is rescind the tag if they chose. 

Right, and he would be hoping they rescind it.  I would imagine there is a deadline for them to do that.

If he wants URFA he’ll have to play the last 6 games for $5mil. Last time this happened was VJax with the Chargers. Waited til week 10 for 2 years. When he got to FA he got a “big” deal from TB, but it was less than what the Chargers were offering in the first place. 

They COULD franchise him again, though for probably like 25 million. 

And being honest here: if he does sit out the entire year, doesn’t get the year accrued, less teams will want him. But at the same time we can then trade him for something. Even if it’s a 2nd round pick or 3rd round pick. 

We would still own his rights. So it’s a matter of telling a team that they may talk contract (basically allow them to tamper) but you need to trade then sign. 

Another team CAN'T talk contract with him.  Once he signs a franchise tag, it's over, he has to play on the tag.  It's not possible for a long term deal to happen at that point.

The ONLY way a long term deal could happen is if they rescind the tag,

1 minute ago, duke2056 said:

Right, and he would be hoping they rescind it.  I would imagine there is a deadline for them to do that.

They COULD franchise him again, though for probably like 25 million. 

If he holds out there is no retagging. His tag price does not go up. If he does not show up in 2018 it’s like anything in the 2018 league season did not happen. He’s still tagged at $14.5 mil. 

1 minute ago, duke2056 said:

Another team CAN'T talk contract with him.  Once he signs a franchise tag, it's over, he has to play on the tag.  It's not possible for a long term deal to happen at that point.

The ONLY way a long term deal could happen is if they rescind the tag,

Right now yes. 

If he doesn’t show up in 2018 and is still under the tag in 2019 who knows. 

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If he holds out there is no retagging. His tag price does not go up. If he does not show up in 2018 it’s like anything in the 2018 league season did not happen. He’s still tagged at $14.5 mil. 

I know.  I never disputed that. 

You said if he plays 6 games he becomes an URFA.  That isn't true.  He COULD be tagged again for a huge amount. 

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Right now yes. 

If he doesn’t show up in 2018 and is still under the tag in 2019 who knows. 

In order to be under the tag, he has to actually SIGN it.  Once he signs it, there is no possibility of a long term deal whether they trade him or not.

The ONLY way a long term deal can be reached by ANY team is if they rescind the tag.

10 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

In order to be under the tag, he has to actually SIGN it.  Once he signs it, there is no possibility of a long term deal whether they trade him or not.

The ONLY way a long term deal can be reached by ANY team is if they rescind the tag.

If it’s the offseason you have til a car rain date to come to an extension whether you sign the tag or not. DeSean Jackson signed his tag a few years ago and got the extension done. 

12 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

I know.  I never disputed that. 

You said if he plays 6 games he becomes an URFA.  That isn't true.  He COULD be tagged again for a huge amount. 

He could. They aren’t going to. The tag would be $21mil and they have to deal with this headache again. 

He could. They aren’t going to. The tag would be $21mil and they have to deal with this headache again. 

Right, they wont want to deal with the headache again, which makes me think it is POSSIBLE he just sits out the entire year and hopes they rescind the tag.  

All speculation, who the F knows.  

6 hours ago, duke2056 said:

Right, they wont want to deal with the headache again, which makes me think it is POSSIBLE he just sits out the entire year and hopes they rescind the tag.  

All speculation, who the F knows.  

And this is where you get off track. If he sits out the year is tag price remains at $14.5 mil. And he’s automatically tagged. 

Him I’m sitting out a year means we would have to rescind the tag. Which I don’t see happening. 

If he sits out the year, I can see the team holding onto the tag, trying to work out a trade, but giving him and the new team a chance to iron out a deal before the trade happens. 

Oh and if he never plays in 2018, that means he doesn’t get paid a dime. No pay means the $14.5 mil gets put on the cap. Which we can roll over with the $12mil we have. Along with the $15mil in space we already have. Meaning him sitting out an entire year could benefit the Steelers far more than anything else. 

Ultimately, and frankly I would support this, just stay away until we have 6 games left. Deal with being seen as the ****ty me first teammate. Get out. 

At this point, Id probably trade him for a 3rd round pick.

Just get him off the team.   

I do feel bad for RBs in todays league, as they are often expected to be work horses, but teams shy away from paying them because of a) their short shelf life and b) how easily replaceable they are relative to other positions, but my issue isnt with Bell wanting big money....its the fact that he has put himself above the team time and time again, and then acts like a baby when that fact is taken into consideration in contract talks.

I will be shocked if a team pays him the money he wants.   Too many damn red flags with this guy.

Archived