Am I the only one not chugging the Kool-Aid?

G08

On Thursday, September 06, 2018 at 1:00 PM, RunningVaccs said:

I usually start drinking a _little_ early before a Bears night game, but by my math you've got 77 hours or so to keep it up.  

Ha ha .. been chugging since last Sat ! We're going to sneak up on alot of people .. pace and space, Mitch and Nagy will have growing pains but will succeed ! Tomorrow will be low scoring

BEARS 20                                    Pack 17

On 9/5/2018 at 8:30 PM, G08 said:

Am I alone here? Does anyone else feel different about this season than year's past? Have I become a jaded Bears fan that demands that they "prove it first" before they get to earn my passion?

I haven't really seen much honest-to-goodness kool-aid chugging among the Bears fans on the site. I think the Mack deal does make them a contender, but almost certainly not this year. Everyone's optimism seems to be tempered, which I think makes total sense. As to your various disappointments and letdowns from year's past, I think the others that responded to those did so very well, and keep in mind this is a different situation than those you listed (Cutler, Trestman, etc.)

On 9/7/2018 at 9:09 AM, Pool said:

Abusive relationship and been burned too many times before. Color me cautiously optimistic with undertones of extreme cynicism. Although out of all the times the Bears have come back to me promising me they've changed it just seems more believable this go around. 

To me, as well. It's because it's all coming together in a reasonable way, and it's clear there is a plan behind it all. Let's face it, while the Cutler deal made sense at the time, it was a pure desperation move by Angelo, and that team was a sputtering mish-mash because of his inability to draft well, and insistence on trading down when he shouldn't have (smartest guy in the room syndrome). 

One thing I have learned being a Cubs fan since the mid-60's is to just enjoy the ride.  Get excited when the good stuff comes and if it all falls apart move on to something else before you get too depressed. 

Optimism is high around here.  We're returning a top 10 defense, 7th in sacks, 9th in points given up. Our WRs/TEs went from this guy and whats his name to Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel, Anthony Miller, Trey Burton.  On paper, we should score 20+ points a game, compared to an average of 16 a game last year.  On paper, we look like a 500 team at worst.   We'll see what happens.  I'm just hoping for a win tonight.   

Uh, can I have like half the Kool Aid?  What a bizarre and awful game.  

Once the scripted plays fell apart, it really seemed like Nagy didn't know what to do besides clam up and hope Rodgers wasn't really going to stay the game.  That was bad.  Hopefully he learns from that and doesn't let fear get the better of him.

We get zero definition on Trubisky on this game.  He looked OK early, and then like a little kid late.  Would have been awesome to have him rise to the occasion and get _something_ done in the second half to win the game.  I said before he had showed us he at least wasn't terrible.  I'm worried that last night he showed us he's not going to be great either.  If he turns out to be middling, the next couple years are going to be rough. Imagine having a great defense, OK offense and Dalton level QB.  I'll eat crow I hope, but I've got a bad feeling about Trubisky.

IMO we are clearly a better team then GB. We really could have blown them out it looked. 

The D was great early. How we only managed 10 offensive points in the first half is a joke. Mitch again has done nothing and I hope the lasts years excuses are gone for him. 

Our OL especially in the 2nd half gave the announcers plenty to talk about. Especially how good the GB DL played. 

Kwik just doesn't have the athleticism to be a quality starter. Roquan caring more about his guarantees couldn't play cause he clearly had no idea what plays we were running. 

I know Floyd has the hand and he's going against a stud but he was a non factor.

Whoever is calling plays on O **** the ******* bed today. That's the secret O we didn't want to unleash onto the league?

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

Uh, can I have like half the Kool Aid?  What a bizarre and awful game.  

Once the scripted plays fell apart, it really seemed like Nagy didn't know what to do besides clam up and hope Rodgers wasn't really going to stay the game.  That was bad.  Hopefully he learns from that and doesn't let fear get the better of him.

We get zero definition on Trubisky on this game.  He looked OK early, and then like a little kid late.  Would have been awesome to have him rise to the occasion and get _something_ done in the second half to win the game.  I said before he had showed us he at least wasn't terrible.  I'm worried that last night he showed us he's not going to be great either.  If he turns out to be middling, the next couple years are going to be rough. Imagine having a great defense, OK offense and Dalton level QB.  I'll eat crow I hope, but I've got a bad feeling about Trubisky.

Again, let's keep things in perspective.  I don't like making excuses for guys, but in reality this was only Tru's 13th start in the NFL and first in an entirely new offense.  Let's cut the kid some slack. 

For comparison sake the great Aaron Rodgers lost 8 out of his first 13 starts in the NFL.  Also, for a little while there Alex Smith didn't look the number 1 draft pick he was in his SF years and look at him now.  Let's all have a little patience and not be so quick to jump to conclusions.

14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I knew the offense was a work in progress, but I am shocked about how rough it was.

It was even more shocking considering Nagy seemed really confident with how "ready" they were.

They were ready...for the first 15 plays...

We have to keep in mind it was Nagy's first game as an NFL HC...in such a huge game it's no shock he shrunk with a lead...that said he must learn from this and squeeze the next time he has his hand around a teams throat.

Archived