Return To The Glory Hole (Need Your Input!)

D82

So as we all know, the DC forum (heck, FootballsFuture in general) has seen a gradual decline in activity and membership over the last couple of years.

There's several reasons for this, the rise of social media, members getting older, starting new careers, families, etc. My question to you guys is, what can we do to get the forum back to its original form and not only have some of our vets return but generate some new blood and ideas as well?

As members, feel free to get your buddies or other knowledgable football people you may know to join the forum. The new website is extremely mobile-friendly, so for those of us who aren't as glued to the computer screen as we used to be (or ever were for some), this is a great way to read the forum and make posts.

I plan on sending out emails to some of our veteran members, spreading the word of the new website and hopefully some of them will make a return. 

Feel free to share your ideas below! 

3 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

Getting rid of all the idiots would help.

I know, a productive response, but none the  less true. ;)

Way to make potential new members feel welcome, old timer. xD

If you guys want honest criticism... a few years ago the powers that be got out of control with bans, etc.  And, it's probably time to re-think some of the rules.  I can't tell you how many times there would be quality discussion related to football but not football itself.  And, the powers that be would lock the thread, warn members etc.  frankly, you are going to have members post elsewhere when they can't discuss things that are important to them.

5 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

If you guys want honest criticism... a few years ago the powers that be got out of control with bans, etc.  And, it's probably time to re-think some of the rules.  I can't tell you how many times there would be quality discussion related to football but not football itself.  And, the powers that be would lock the thread, warn members etc.  frankly, you are going to have members post elsewhere when they can't discuss things that are important to them.

Are we referencing political posts? That's still a no-go on here.

If not, some of the typical P&P has been revamped to encourage discussion on the site.

11 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

Are we referencing political posts? That's still a no-go on here.

If not, some of the typical P&P has been revamped to encourage discussion on the site.

For example... the Ray Rice and Greg Hardy threads.  Any thread dealing with the patriots cheating.  

And, the "trolling" rules are rather outdated and lame.  Like you said, people are going to post on twitter rather than in here if they can't even comment that "Eli choked" without a threat of a warning or getting banned.  

Agree with Slam. The ban hammer is a very bad thing. Way to many options available out there. I understand that occasionally it is a necessity, but generally speaking the ban hammer shouldn't be a consideration. I'm not sure what prime-time did to get banned and he bugged me to no end, but his views brought a ton of discussion...even though it was redundant.

I agree with Slam...and the late night drinking sessions.

Some of it is just hard with time.  I am all for bringing back Cowpokes, Ring of Honor, etc. not that I ever participated all that much in those but I feel like it gives people something to look forward towards.

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Agree with Slam. The ban hammer is a very bad thing. Way to many options available out there. I understand that occasionally it is a necessity, but generally speaking the ban hammer shouldn't be a consideration. I'm not sure what prime-time did to get banned and he bugged me to no end, but his views brought a ton of discussion...even though it was redundant.

Ha....Prime-Time....he was irritating as all get out and would beat a dead horse to a dust pile. I forgot he got banned. I can't remember what it is for either. Related to the GB game maybe. But a good example. But overall seemed to be a good guy and meant no harm. Man, he would stand is ground regardless and not budge lol.

Don't have any easy answers. There are a few I'd ban the hell out of here if I could. All they do is post crap just to be argumentative knowing it will get people PO'ed. Basically trolling, but done so it doesn't actually break any forum rules. Just right up to that edge.

Have fun being a mod. LOL I was one on a popular Android site. It can be a thankless job.

2 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

Ace might be checking in again...hopefully. 

Did I mention the site has an ignore feature? This should help with members getting into heated arguments which could lead to bans. 

But that is useless when an ignored members post is quoted by someone else. You can still see it if it's quoted if i'm not mistaken.

1 minute ago, HDsportsfan said:

But that is useless when an ignored members post is quoted by someone else. You can still see it if it's quoted if i'm not mistaken.

I wouldn't think so...would seem to me that would render the ignore function useless.

Archived