Return To The Glory Hole (Need Your Input!)

D82

3 hours ago, Webmaster said:

Are you kidding me?  Try being a mod in NFL general for one day.   All people do is complain about trolling.  'He said my QB wasn't a HOFer, he's a troll, ban him'.  'He said my team won't win the superbowl, troll, ban him webby'.  All that this NFC east forum/thread would become is just another NFL general.  Also, either way it pulls away activity from the team forums.

Very much this.  I don't know how many times I've seen a poster go into a divisional rival forum say something negative about the team or the poster, and immediately labeled a troll.  You can be critical of another team or player and not be trolling.  In fact, I'd probably argue that there's a large portion of FF that has an inaccurate definition of trolling.  Trolling is posting with the intent of inciting a response.  Saying something negative about your team or a player on your team isn't trolling.  This isn't exclusive to any one team forum or even NFL General alone.  Adding a division forum doesn't help spur forum discussion, it takes away from team forum and creates more hostility.

It is a lot faster to make a post on the new forum as opposed to the old. 

I love using the site on my phone now as well, I basically can do everything I can on there that I can on my laptop. 

I legitimately think we can create discussion in all four team forums even with separate NFC East threads. 

As Webby pointed out, the new site has a lot of great features to help keep you notified when replies are made. And, if you're out and about, as I mentioned above - the mobile site is 100x better than the old one.

3 hours ago, Webmaster said:

@The_Slamman can we stop discussing bans and forum administration.  This is the second time you've turned the discussion to this topic.  If you want to keep discussing forum administration hit me up with a PM.  

As for chatzy and a chat room.  Yes, telling members to post in a chat room instead of on the forum does take activity away from the forum.  I'll look into adding a chat room if the activity is there to support both a chat room and a forum.  Also, this new software updates posts in real-time so I think that it will be a much better experience for gameday discussion.  

I don't really want to get into a debate over chatzy, but I feel that they take traffic away from the Lions forum, at least. I suppose the context is important, though. Perhaps there's a situation where one could be used, but we've never run into that situation in the Lions forum. If the option became available and our forum had one, it would definitely hurt our activity level, without a doubt. 

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 7:27 PM, acowboys62 said:

Also...step 1 to pick up convo...change title to "Return to Glory Hole" 

Guarantee you hear from Matts, Slam, TO7, HT and Plan9 in under an hour. 

Smartarse. I purposely waited longer just to prove you wrong. Hahaha.

11 hours ago, X_Factor_40 said:

I don't really want to get into a debate over chatzy, but I feel that they take traffic away from the Lions forum, at least. I suppose the context is important, though. Perhaps there's a situation where one could be used, but we've never run into that situation in the Lions forum. If the option became available and our forum had one, it would definitely hurt our activity level, without a doubt. 

I know it took away discussion from our forum when we used it.

Whatever the case, we have a new forum with a lot of new features to make posting and accessing the site far more easier than it was before. 

Let's try and utilize them to promote discussion and get new members to join and hopefully entice some of our vet members to come back as well. 

I think forum usage period is down on every forum. Twitter, FB, etc has really killed a lot of newer folks' desire to join forums. A lot of the forum users now are 30+ where as it used to be 20+ - and 30+ and 40+ users have far less free time on their hands.

Worse, the over saturation of the football market these last few years has a lot of people avoiding football on the "off days" or turning to media networks for football talk. It used to be, if you didn't talk football on a forum, you went without football for 5 days a week. Now you have football coverage 24/7 on even the most basic cable tv packages now, plus you have an extra football game earlier in the week starting your football consumption time early even if you avoid the nonstop coverage. Also, it's easy to see out of market games now - NFL redzone, gamepass, etc.

We can lure new forum users by responding quickly like once was the norm, but that requires constant activity by a group of regulars. And that same group of regulars we used to have likely have far less time with college in the past, families in the making, careers to worry about, etc. It's just a sad fact with getting old :P

This section used to be the most active team based section on the forum. It'll pick up when season starts. I'm sure our usual suspects will return to lurking about.

Were we able to do the forum wide mock stuff like last year when DaBoys and I represented this forum last year? How did that go? If it went well, I think we will be fine :)

I like the chat room idea. On game days, especially Sundays, when overall activity is high, old site was slow. That was one reason I gravitated to chat room. That and I preferred the easy reading. Not sure how functional that would be here tho. Chat rooms for every team would probably bog down server anyway.

If new site proves to be faster than I'm not too worried about it. 

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

I like the chat room idea. On game days, especially Sundays, when overall activity is high, old site was slow. That was one reason I gravitated to chat room. That and I preferred the easy reading. Not sure how functional that would be here tho. Chat rooms for every team would probably bog down server anyway.

If new site proves to be faster than I'm not too worried about it. 

The cool thing about the chat room is real time conversation during the game.  With the GDT, it's impossible to replicate real time or build upon other posts because by the time you read a response and type a reply... 2 others plays have gone by.  

All im saying is that it's a good idea for game day or the draft.  And the thing is...it doesn't distract from posting in the forum.  In the forum, we would still post about TDs, Ints, big plays.  I would never post about a 3 yard run in the forum anyway.  But I would inthe chat just because it's live time.

5 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

The cool thing about the chat room is real time conversation during the game.  With the GDT, it's impossible to replicate real time or build upon other posts because by the time you read a response and type a reply... 2 others plays have gone by.  

All im saying is that it's a good idea for game day or the draft.  And the thing is...it doesn't distract from posting in the forum.  In the forum, we would still post about TDs, Ints, big plays.  I would never post about a 3 yard run in the forum anyway.  But I would inthe chat just because it's live time.

Posting on the new site is pretty much instant.  I don't see how it's any different than a chat room.  

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Posting on the new site is pretty much instant.  I don't see how it's any different than a chat room.  

Yup.

If you set up notifications, you get instant alerts when someone makes a reply and can respond accordingly. 

14 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Im not arguing either way, but there are no filters in a chat room. Thats the difference. Things we post here are more permanent and controlled. 

Archived