James Conner and running styles

warfelg

17 hours ago, 3rivers said:

throw the bell playbook in the trash and move on. I am tired of reading and watching how everyone is so dependant on a player that we haven't won anything with, never beat the pats  either. 

HOF QB

HOF WR

Top7 OL IMO

RD3 RB that had a good NCAA 

Rising Star WR2

WR3 looks to be abs end zone threat and a sleeper but also has speed

Maybe losing bell is the best thing that happened, it might make the team go to a more traditional rushing attack and control the clock more.   I don't know if we should waste anymore time on this. Connor and the OL will be out to prove people wrong and they will. I just want them to trade bell but  I doubt it happens but to the bungles for Lawson and Carson.  

just to touch on the 3rd round rb idea a bit because i have already chatted this up with some friends. I would love to paid a guy like etienne from clemson who has a great compliment to conners down hill style. We wont be able to replace 100% of bells all around production without a homerun pick of a rb, but i like being able to replace 90% of it between a couple backs at a fraction of the cost and seeing us use his money on a pass rusher.

5 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

Is the idea that Ben want shotgun formation coming from anywhere or just your pure speculation? I don't know that I have seen anything like that in the media.

Its largely speculation on my part, but its because of the evidence put forth. 

- Since Ben's leg injuries we have run more shotgun each year because its less wear and tear on his legs. Last year we were in shotgun 71% of the time which was up from the 66% of the time in 2016. 

- Ben loves to run no huddle, because he gets to run the show -- that's not really a secret as he mentions it as much as possible in the media. From the no huddle offense, we were in the shotgun formation 93% of the time. So when Ben calls the plays, we are under center 7 times out of 100. 

The offense Ben wants is the fast paced, call my own plays and sling it offense -- which when we go to that, its almost exclusively out of the shotgun. That fits perfectly with Bell. I am not sure it does with Connor. Would love to see more single back, downhill running with Connor, but that's largely up to Ben now. 

26 minutes ago, Big Snack said:

just to touch on the 3rd round rb idea a bit because i have already chatted this up with some friends. I would love to paid a guy like etienne from clemson who has a great compliment to conners down hill style. We wont be able to replace 100% of bells all around production without a homerun pick of a rb, but i like being able to replace 90% of it between a couple backs at a fraction of the cost and seeing us use his money on a pass rusher.

What I like about this is Conner is the runner, but a good enough pass catcher to be a threat and you can't just assume it's a run.

Etienne is the pass catching type, but a good enough runner to be a major threat that you can't assume it's a pass.

I just don't want RBBC where it's straight up he runs, he catches passes, he pass protects.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

What I like about this is Conner is the runner, but a good enough pass catcher to be a threat and you can't just assume it's a run.

Etienne is the pass catching type, but a good enough runner to be a major threat that you can't assume it's a pass.

I just don't want RBBC where it's straight up he runs, he catches passes, he pass protects.

exactly my thoughts! I like guys like chris thompson who are great at being a receiving threat, but dont like it when its obvious what they are doing. Etienne has enough juice as a runner to keep teams honest against the run and conner has enough passing game chops be accounted for in the passing game. If one of them is out for a game you dont have to abandon part of your playbook.

On 9/6/2018 at 10:05 AM, warfelg said:

So I wanted to put in something and talk about running styles as it came up in another thread. 

What effect  will Conners downhill style change the offense. Does it change play action? Will defenses loosen up in a different way? Is he gonna be overlooked in the passing game a bit?

I would think it would allow the OL to be more aggressive.  Get those blocks in quick and know that Conner will hit the hole quickly.  Allows them not to have to hold blocks, an extra 2-3 seconds and hedge their bets with how much time they have to hold up.  

22 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Its largely speculation on my part, but its because of the evidence put forth. 

- Since Ben's leg injuries we have run more shotgun each year because its less wear and tear on his legs. Last year we were in shotgun 71% of the time which was up from the 66% of the time in 2016. 

- Ben loves to run no huddle, because he gets to run the show -- that's not really a secret as he mentions it as much as possible in the media. From the no huddle offense, we were in the shotgun formation 93% of the time. So when Ben calls the plays, we are under center 7 times out of 100. 

The offense Ben wants is the fast paced, call my own plays and sling it offense -- which when we go to that, its almost exclusively out of the shotgun. That fits perfectly with Bell. I am not sure it does with Connor. Would love to see more single back, downhill running with Connor, but that's largely up to Ben now. 

ben has taken over this offence , no more  blaming arians or haley or lack of talent. He has it all now, so lets see how this ends . 

Archived