Lions release DE Anthony Zettel; claimed by Browns

SteelKing728

Why in the hell would they release him?  He is a good young player and had a solid season last year.  Cut him?  Why?  They do not exactly have this great super star DL unit like say the Vikings do at defensive back.  And they STILL kept Holton Hill, they did not release him....  If any team should keep young defensive lineman in would be Detroit with that group they currently have.  

14 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Lol why?

hes a tough SOB. Not the best athlete but a hard worker, good motor. He’s also a little nuts.

He definitely is a tough guy, but when I watch him all I see it a slimmer version of Jamie Meder. Pretty much all grit and that's it, spot duty is the best for him IMO.

I'm not saying I'm 100% behind the Lions' reasoning on this but I'll break it down for you.

- Zettel was playing into the 4th quarter in the 4th preseason game so there was already an indication he was slipping down the depth chart.

- He had 6.5 sacks last season but only .5 of them came in the last 8 games, indicating even that production may have been a flash in the pan.

- In the preseason, he had several plays in the earlier games where he recklessly crashed inside on run plays, gave up the edge, and big runs ensued. This is something that both he, and the Lions' D as a whole, had problems with in the past also.

- We know that Patricia runs a system where players have very specific roles and jobs, and if someone doesn't do their job consistently, they're gone.

- I don't know Romeo Okwara, who the Lions signed from the Giants, but it seems that the Lions think he can do the specific role for a backup end they have in mind (which seemingly includes holding the edge on run plays) better than Zettel can. That is what caused him to be cut at this time.

Zettel has good qualities as a depth guy and could possibly hold a starting job on a team that has adequate pass rush from other players. I'm sure Browns fans will like him, he's tough and hard working if not supremely talented.

36 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

He definitely is a tough guy, but when I watch him all I see it a slimmer version of Jamie Meder. Pretty much all grit and that's it, spot duty is the best for him IMO.

I agree. He’s a backup. Maybe 5-10 plays a game.

Archived