Lions release DE Anthony Zettel; claimed by Browns

SteelKing728

On 9/6/2018 at 6:14 PM, Nnivolcm said:

As a Lions fan, I honestly have no clue. 

Not a fit for the defense. He's a decent effort player, will get a few sacks by playing hard for longer than the OT, but the guy never showed much as a run defender and didn't show anything as an interior rusher in the pre-season. Not sure how he'll fit in the Browns defense, but I wouldn't expect much if I were a Browns fan. He only produced as much as he did here because there was no one else around to actually get an effort sack or chase down a play. I doubt he sees much PT with guys like Garrett and Ogbah deserving a ton of snaps in front of him.

It is confusing that the Lions didn't trade him though. He's not great, but he's not bad either. I would have figured they could have called a few teams and had a few offers for a conditional 6th/7th or a player swap or something.

38 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

huh... since when? He pretty much got cut for his inability to defend the run in this defense...

You'll have to forgive me for this source, and I did not watch many Lions games last year, but PFF graded Zettel as 11th in run defense among 4-3 DEs last season. While their grading system is obviously flawed and subjective, I find that usually they aren't super erroneous as far as players I've witnessed myself.

5 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

You'll have to forgive me for this source, and I did not watch many Lions games last year, but PFF graded Zettel as 11th in run defense among 4-3 DEs last season. While their grading system is obviously flawed and subjective, I find that usually they aren't super erroneous as far as players I've witnessed myself.

they are kinda are with overall grades.  they said Jonathan cyprien was like insanely good at safety(it was something like 90 overall and almost all of it was run defense but i was never impressed with his run defense as he usually took bad angles and wasnt a great tackler. 

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I mean... PFF might like him, but that doesn't change the fact that he was cut for not being able to play the run properly. That's kinda hard to look past.

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I think he did ok last year but the PFF score for him screams more so that they like him than what his actual grade should be. 

In preseason, the Lions had a horrible time keeping outside contain and he was consistently part of the problem (even in plays where he technically wasn’t part of the problem as the play went the other way but he still lost outside contain). 

I’m a little surprised they couldn’t find a trade suitor but I think they wanted to make a move quickly and get someone in ASAP

2 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

they are kinda are with overall grades.  they said Jonathan cyprien was like insanely good at safety(it was something like 90 overall and almost all of it was run defense but i was never impressed with his run defense as he usually took bad angles and wasnt a great tackler. 

According to their rankings Brien Boddy-Calhoun is somewhere between Patrick Peterson and Chris Harris Jr. and Cody Kessler just as good as Andy Dalton

16 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

In what way?

https://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2018/09/romeo_okwaras_long_arms_put_hi.html#incart_river_index

So in comes Okwara, who at 6 feet 5 inches and 274 pounds is only a bit bigger than Zettel was at 6-4 and 270 -- but the difference is in their arms. Okwara's measured 34 1/8 inches at the 2016 NFL Combine, a full three inches longer than Zettel's.

44 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

So in comes Okwara, who at 6 feet 5 inches and 274 pounds is only a bit bigger than Zettel was at 6-4 and 270 -- but the difference is in their arms. Okwara's measured 34 1/8 inches at the 2016 NFL Combine, a full three inches longer than Zettel's.

gotcha, so Okwara's arms are approximately 3 inches longer than Zettel's, never mind Zettel had 6.5 sacks last season and Okwara has played 22 games in 3 seasons and has 1 career sack.  It all makes perfect sense... 

I sure hope this isn't the reason for Zettel's release. 

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:50 PM, IDOG_det said:

He's a decent effort player, will get a few sacks by playing hard for longer than the OT

Isn't that the idea? 

He only produced as much as he did here because there was no one else around to actually get an effort sack or chase down a play.

So you're saying the Lions just cut the one guy on their defense that plays with effort, and bothers to chase down plays?  Damn, I almost feel bad for Lion fans...

I doubt he sees much PT with guys like Garrett and Ogbah deserving a ton of snaps in front of him.

Garrett and Ogbah are the starters, but Zettel is the next man up, and will probably play some inside as well.  I don't really see this scenario of yours where Zettel barely plays..  Besides, Ogbah had 4 sacks and 18 tackles last season; we're not exactly talking about Strahan here.

@frenchie you're making poor assumptions man. Ogbah is more than twice the player that Zettel is. Zettel only brings value on effort, he doesn't really beat opposing players based on talent (which is the idea, you know, being good). Zettel wasn't the "one guy" who gave effort, there were others that got injured. They also added other good players this year that play hard and they beat out Zettel, so they should be just fine. Don't get too excited about Zettel man, he was cut for a reason. 

1 minute ago, IDOG_det said:

@frenchie you're making poor assumptions man. Ogbah is more than twice the player that Zettel is. Zettel only brings value on effort, he doesn't really beat opposing players based on talent (which is the idea, you know, being good). Zettel wasn't the "one guy" who gave effort, there were others that got injured. They also added other good players this year that play hard and they beat out Zettel, so they should be just fine. Don't get too excited about Zettel man, he was cut for a reason. 

Say this louder for us please? I need it heard in the Packers forum.

Archived