New Rules

Golfman

Just now, KingOfTheNorth said:

Dude, relax. My opinion differs from yours. I see a ball that could have been placed better. Not sure why your having an aneurysm over this.

I'm upset about this because the visual evidence is literally right in front of you.  How could Ryan have placed the ball better without literally changing the defender's matter in order to make the ball literally pass through him? 

If somebody said Mount Rushmore has six faces on it, are you going to accept that they have a different opinion? 

Just now, Leader said:

That pass is virtually indefensible.

Mills is 6'0" and Jones's hands look about 3' higher than his shoulders.

Could Mills have been in a different position that allowed him to get better vertical? Probably - but not that much IMO.

Watch the play.  Look at where Mills was when Ryan threw the ball.  LITERALLY (and I'm not making this up) standing DIRECTLY (and I'm not making this up) in front of Julio.  I'm confused by this post because you say the pass was virtually indefensible, so that looks like you're agreeing with me.  The rest of the post seems like you're disagreeing with me. 

Seriously though, people need to watch the play in slow motion.  YouTube lets you play the movie in slow motion.  Watch it from all angles starting at 15:40 and slow it down to a quarter of its normal speed and realistically tell me Ryan, seeing what he saw, could have placed that ball in any better position at all. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm upset about this because the visual evidence is literally right in front of you.  How could Ryan have placed the ball better without literally changing the defender's matter in order to make the ball literally pass through him? 

If somebody said Mount Rushmore has six faces on it, are you going to accept that they have a different opinion? 

The visual evidence shows me that the defenders hand was more than 1 foot away from the ball. Unless your saying Julio's arm is only 1 foot long?

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Watch the play.  Look at where Mills was when Ryan threw the ball.  LITERALLY (and I'm not making this up) standing DIRECTLY (and I'm not making this up) in front of Julio.  I'm confused by this post because you say the pass was virtually indefensible, so that looks like you're agreeing with me.  The rest of the post seems like you're disagreeing with me. Seriously though, people need to watch the play in slow motion.  YouTube lets you play the movie in slow motion.  Watch it from all angles starting at 15:40 and slow it down to a quarter of its normal speed and realistically tell me Ryan, seeing what he saw, could have placed that ball in any better position at all. 

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anybody. Just making a comment. I didnt see the play and dont need to watch it in slow motion.

All I said was - in that still shot - the DB has no shot. It aint happening. It appears he may have been caught a bit flat footed - reason he's so far below the point of possible reception. So - could he have been in better position? Yes. Probably. But still - that was Julio's ball or nobodies. 

Could Ryan put the ball 6-12" lower? Maybe. Probably. Possibly. but damn - these things arent happening in a vacuum and pinpoint accuracy isnt easily achieved.

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The zeal in which you try and win every argument is impressive.

See the source image

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anybody. Just making a comment. I didnt see the play and dont need to watch it in slow motion.

All I said was - in that still shot - the DB has no shot. It aint happening. It appears he may have been caught a bit flat footed - reason he's so far below the point of possible reception. So - could he have been in better position? Yes. Probably. But still - that was Julio's ball or nobodies. 

Could Ryan put the ball 6-12" lower? Maybe. Probably. Possibly. but damn - these things arent happening in a vacuum and pinpoint accuracy isnt easily achieved.

This is how you have a discussion. Not making insane comparisons to discredit a person. (Really, 6 face Mount Rushmore?)

I just believe that if Ryan is an elite QB like many say he is, he can make that throw better. Ryan has some of the lowest Red Zone TD numbers for players with 70+ attempts in the Red Zone. Its not just Julio who struggles inside the 20.

The visual evidence shows me that the defenders hand was more than 1 foot away from the ball. Unless your saying Julio's arm is only 1 foot long?

This is where the ball was when it got between Julio's hands:

Screen_Shot_2018_09_07_at_11_13_21_AM.pn

This is where Mills was the moment Ryan threw the ball:

Screen_Shot_2018_09_07_at_11_11_24_AM.pn

Watch the play and you'll see that Mills had a REALLY bad jump on the ball.  You expect Ryan to know that Mills is going to have a really bad jump?  Knowing that Julio can jump probably a full additional foot than what he did?  You expect Ryan to not throw it high when the defender is standing literally directly in front of Julio? 

It's not, "Ryan could have thrown the ball a foot lower," Mills' outstretched hand is about an inch from the start of Julio's forearm.  Unless you think Julio's forearm is two feet long...

The ball placement was fine, it was a duck of a throw if I recall but it ended up in a fine spot. Problem was the play sucked and the scramble drill had absolutely no rhythm. Jones had used up all the field, steps out of bounds, tries to regain position and jumps for the ball.

Throw should've been sooner and Julio should've come down with that, even though it doesn't count.

Is this any evidence he struggles in the red zone however? No. There's so much wrong here that has nothing to do with Julio.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

This is where the ball was when it got between Julio's hands:

Screen_Shot_2018_09_07_at_11_13_21_AM.pn

This is where Mills was the moment Ryan threw the ball:

Screen_Shot_2018_09_07_at_11_11_24_AM.pn

Watch the play and you'll see that Mills had a REALLY bad jump on the ball.  You expect Ryan to know that Mills is going to have a really bad jump?  Knowing that Julio can jump probably a full additional foot than what he did?  You expect Ryan to not throw it high when the defender is standing literally directly in front of Julio? 

It's not, "Ryan could have thrown the ball a foot lower," Mills' outstretched hand is about an inch from the start of Julio's forearm.  Unless you think Julio's forearm is two feet long...

I expect Julio to win those 50/50 balls. So even if Mills get 2 fingers on the ball, Julio should come down with it. I see WR's win those ball consistently. Mills definitely doesn't intercept like you claimed before. I cant see the pics you posted because of my work firewall. But I did watch the game and the replays and came away with the same opinion.

Ryan has some of the lowest Red Zone TD numbers for players with 70+ attempts in the Red Zone. Its not just Julio who struggles inside the 20.

Ryan had 17 touchdowns, 2 interceptions in the red zone last year.
Ryan had 31 touchdowns, 1 interception in the red zone in 2016.
Ryan had 17 touchdowns and 4 interceptions in the red zone in 2015.
Ryan had 19 touchdowns and 0 interceptions in the red zone in 2014.
Ryan had 19 touchdowns and 2 interceptions in the red zone in 2013.
Ryan had 28 touchdowns and 2 interceptions in the red zone in 2012.
Ryan had 18 touchdowns and 1 interception in the red zone in 2011.
Ryan had 23 touchdowns and 1 interception in the red zone in 2010.
14 and 2 in 2009.
11 and 2 in 2008.

Ryan had his third best red zone passer rating in the red zone the year before Julio Jones entered the league.

In 2016, Matt Ryan's MVP season, he had 31 touchdowns and 1 interception in the red zone. 

Maybe Ryan has been struggling in there because he's keying too much on Julio. 

Archived