Goldman gets paid

beardown3231

This is the kind of money you need to pay for a 24 year old stand out NT...it has long been a position that is underrated but if you ever want to get the best out of Smith you need to put a guy like Goldman in front of him...I love that Pace is swinging for the fences and building what could be a monster young defence.

1 hour ago, Pool said:

I don't know how I feel about this. Seems a bit pricey.

It definitively is, but I'm happy to at least have the spot secure for the next few years. Hopefully he stays healthy, Pace and Fangio seem to think he is still ascending so I won't question it.

Definitely sends a message that if you perform then Pace will take care of you. Exact opposite message Gruden and Davis have had to send in Oak. 

I really really like Eddie but do you pay a guy over 10 million a year to play 2 downs?

Will he play a bigger role?

Last season he was on the field for 57.5% of all defensive plays (he missed 1 game).

Hicks played 85.0% of all defensive snaps for comparison.

10 minutes ago, ColGerBear said:

I really really like Eddie but do you pay a guy over 10 million a year to play 2 downs?

Last season he was on the field for 57.5% of all defensive plays (he missed 1 game).

Hicks played far too many snaps.  Goldman stays in in nickel.  60% of the snaps is probably about right with a good 5 man rotation.  

3 hours ago, ColGerBear said:

If Eddie is really good at those 2 downs then yes you do. The 3-4 base is worthless without a NT.  Don't forget that the Bears don't have high picks the next 2 years.

I also think Goldman is capable of rushing the passer.

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Good for Goldman. Really good player. Especially with smaller ILB in Roquan and DT having a really good nose eating up 2 blockers is ultra important to what we do on defense. 

Amos looking like 2018 will be a Chicago swan song. 

Which is weird because PFF says he's somewhere between Ronnie Lott and Troy Polamalu 9_9

6 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

I dont hate it but dont love it. This is the price you would pay for him as a FA. We didnt get any hometown discount on this one haha.

Kind of hard to get a hometown discount when Goldman and his agent just saw Pace shell out $141M to Khalil Mack. :D

7 minutes ago, Golfman said:

So how close does this put you guys to the cap? After the Mack deal you weren't too far away from it? Any of his money going to apply to this year? 

Bears currently have $6M left in cap space.  $30M in 2019, $60M in 2020.  Even after the Mack deal the Bears are sitting very cap pretty 

Archived