Goldman gets paid

beardown3231

35 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Bears currently have $6M left in cap space.  $30M in 2019, $60M in 2020.  Even after the Mack deal the Bears are sitting very cap pretty 

Those were the numbers after Mack, but before Goldman. That isn't exactly sitting pretty. 

None of the guys on this list count in that 30 million in cap space. Now, none are probably must re-sign guys, but you have to replace them with someone. Which means you're pretty cap strapped next year once Goldman's numbers go against that. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/chicago-bears/ 

8 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Those were the numbers after Mack, but before Goldman. That isn't exactly sitting pretty. 

None of the guys on this list count in that 30 million in cap space. Now, none are probably must re-sign guys, but you have to replace them with someone. Which means you're pretty cap strapped next year once Goldman's numbers go against that. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/chicago-bears/ 

The majority of those guys dont even count against the cap and won't count against the cap next year if resigned.  Even if Goldman counts $10M against the cap next year (he wont) that still leaves $20M the Bears are probably going to free up about another $15M in cuts next year.  Amos is really the only one on that list who is significant.  But hes a box safety and the market is very week on safety's, so he'll either resign for cheap or he'll be replaced.

6 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The majority of those guys dont even count against the cap and won't count against the cap next year if resigned.  Even if Goldman counts $10M against the cap next year (he wont) that still leaves $20M the Bears are probably going to free up about another $15M in cuts next year.  Amos is really the only one on that list who is significant.  But hes a box safety and the market is very week on safety's, so he'll either resign for cheap or he'll be replaced.

How are you going to re-sign any of those players and not have them count any against the cap next year? I'm not arguing most aren't important re-signings, but please explain that math. IF Amos is starting safety caliber he's going to be 5 a year at a minimum. 

I can see where you would get 15 million in cuts, I won't argue that point. On second look, please explain where the 15 million in cuts are going to come from next year? I don't see it. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/chicago-bears

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

How are you going to re-sign any of those players and not have them count any against the cap next year? I'm not arguing most aren't important re-signings, but please explain that math. IF Amos is starting safety caliber he's going to be 5 a year at a minimum. 

I can see where you would get 15 million in cuts, I won't argue that point. 

It's the way the cap works.  Typically players on minimum deals dont even register on the cap.  Also keep in mind the Bears rookie pool will be significantly lower with no picks before the 3rd.

3 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

It's the way the cap works.  Typically players on minimum deals dont even register on the cap.  Also keep in mind the Bears rookie pool will be significantly lower with no picks before the 3rd.

I'm aware of the rookie pool, but if you are re-signing some of those players, they aren't going to be minimum. By the way, a veteran free agent re-signing has a much higher cap number than a rookie free agent. Those salaries will register. The top 53 salaries count towards the cap. Right now you've got a guy making under 500K registering on your top 53. 

Either way, you guys are closer to the cap than a team who is still building should be. If Trubisky doesn't turn out to be the guy, you're back to square one. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

I'm aware of the rookie pool, but if you are re-signing some of those players, they aren't going to be minimum. By the way, a veteran free agent re-signing has a much higher cap number than a rookie free agent. Those salaries will register. The top 53 salaries count towards the cap. Right now you've got a guy making under 500K registering on your top 53. 

Either way, you guys are closer to the cap than a team who is still building should be. If Trubisky doesn't turn out to be the guy, you're back to square one. 

This the whole point.  If Trubisky is good they are set to be a contender for a long time.  If hes not well, all of the money is going to be available again for the next GM and bc.  They are going for it.  IMO that's what they should be doing.  The GM had conviction on the QB to move up and get him. Your best chance at winning a superbowl in today's NFL is to find that guy and capitalize around him.  People are trying to say they are mortgaging the future but they aren't.  They weren't going to be replacing MT10 before 2021 even if hes awful.  The picks mean nothing.  

3 hours ago, Golfman said:

I can see where you would get 15 million in cuts, I won't argue that point. On second look, please explain where the 15 million in cuts are going to come from next year? I don't see it. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/chicago-bears

Instead of merely posting a link, and then assuming we're all going to prioritize players and come out with the same math that you have, could you please summarize your point for us?

Also, you do know the cap will likely rise next year, correct? 

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Instead of merely posting a link, and then assuming we're all going to prioritize players and come out with the same math that you have, could you please summarize your point for us?

Also, you do know the cap will likely rise next year, correct? 

Yeah by like $10M. Massie isn’t a cut but his $6M is coming off. Sims’ $6M will be gone. DT and his $6M could be gone. Acho’s 2019 hit is $2.75M with a minimal hit if released. That’s almost $31M right there. They could also create more space on the existing long term deals by converting portions of those contracts into signing bonuses.

We aren’t at all likely to be in on the top FA going forward, but in terms of our position relative to the cap we are totally fine. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Yeah by like $10M. Massie isn’t a cut but his $6M is coming off. Sims’ $6M will be gone. DT and his $6M could be gone. Acho’s 2019 hit is $2.75M with a minimal hit if released. That’s almost $31M right there. They could also create more space on the existing long term deals by converting portions of those contracts into signing bonuses.

We aren’t at all likely to be in on the top FA going forward, but in terms of our position relative to the cap we are totally fine. 

I think looking at the fact we have retained so many of our own top guys and had such a quality offseason this year with so many talented and young guys brought in we shouldn't need to be in on those guys...now we really can focus on drafting and adding smart vet pickups rather than spending big money.

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Massie isn't on the books for next year. He isn't being counted when they show you have 30 million in cap space. 

Either way, should be an interesting game today. 

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

Massie isn't on the books for next year. He isn't being counted when they show you have 30 million in cap space. 

Either way, should be an interesting game today. 

Personally I think when you are trying to build a team as aggresively as we are going into next offseason still having $30 in cap before any cuts is more than enough...look at some of the other teams in the NFL right now heading into 2019...

Eagles...-$20.6 million

Jags...-$5.9 million

Vikings...$11.6 million

Steelers...$14.2 million

Saints...$19.7 million

Giants...$20.5 million

Chargers...$20.6 million

Redskins...$21.8 million

Dolphins...$24.1 million

Even teams like the Pats, Bucs, Panthers & Broncos has a little less than $30 million.

Looking at the top 5 teams along it is clear to see that if you are going to compete in the NFL today you are going to be pretty tight against the cap year in year out...the Saints & Steelers have made an art form out of it over the years and with Pace's background I expect us to play it pretty tight at times...$30 million to play with is no issue for a guy like Pace...

Also playing around with the roster for next years there are a number of cuts that should/could be made...

Cut Sims & Trevathan takes you to $42.5 million instantly.

If we were to cut Kyle Long (Which I expect so we can resign Whitehair long term) we are up at $48 million in cap space...

Add another $10 raise and you are looking at close to $60 million in space...

The cap is a non factor right now IMO.

17 hours ago, Golfman said:

Missed that one earlier. In certain ways, that's kind of true regardless of the cap, isn't it? 

Archived