Preseason Week 2 Chiefs @ Bengals

MrCincinnati

Relooking at my 5 things to watch for:

5. Couldn't really tell how William Jackson played, but judging by the fact that the defense was awful against the passing game, I will say it wasn't good. Granted the front 7 didn't do much to help them, but they go carved out by Smith and Mahomes.

4. Jordan Willis and Chris Smith once again had another good week, and I could see one of these maybe finally replacing Michael Johnson. The pass rush was solid for the most part, but they were awful against the run game. Will Clarke not being able to sack Mahomes on that one play was the final dagger for him, he sealed his fate.

3. Once again I didn't really know how some of the starters on the OL played, but it did look like Ogbuehi had a good game for once, which is comforting. Andre Smith and Eric Winston were the weak points last night though. Smith didn't know what he suppose to do on one play when they were kicking a field goal, they had to call a time out. Winston was bad again, so it does appear he could be out of the door finally.

2. The Driskel show was postponed for a bit, as he did little to build off his momentum for last game. In his defense though, the barely saw any playing time because of Dalton and McCarron. The next preseason he probably won't play, so that means the final preseason game will decide if he's worth keeping on the roster or not. Hoping they can just stash him on the practice squad though.

1. Jeremy Hill once again had another good game against the starters, and I think he entrenched himself for good now to start in week 1. Mixon was not impressive, having only 6 attempts for 16 yards. This is where the OL may of played a factor, but its clear he shouldn't start in week 1 now.

11 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

It was Evans but he returned to the game.  Our coaching staff unfortunately doesn't have the balls to do it, but our starting LBs should be Burfict, Vigil, and Evans...

Hardy Nickerson was the one that got injured actually.

Evans indeed had a good game and this should lock in his roster spot. But to all of a sudden bump him ahead of Vincent Rey and Minter because one game is jumping the gun. Its easy to look good when you don't play against the starters. Lets wait and see if he continues to build off his good play first.

Nickerson got bent backwards.  That had to hurt.  I turned to my friend and said he's on IR for sure now :D

Jackson played well.  Shaw looked like he got beat for a TD to the TE, but he was playing the slot WR and came over almost in time to deflect the pass.

Ogbuehi played better, but is that really shocking?  He still has mental gaffes far too often.  There was a play that Fisher gave up a sack, but at the snap, Ogbuehi didn't line straight up with a d-lineman so he literally just stood there, while the QB got crushed.  I mean, he just stood in a blocking stance.  

Andre Smith looked disinterested, but he's done that since 2012.  How do you not know you are on the FG team when you are penciled in as either the starter or top backup.  And why burn the time out, Marvin?  Just take the five yard penalty.  On second thought, he would never have used it anyway.  That crap at the end of the half was grade school level stuff.  How do you not take the time-out right away and save 10 seconds? Marvin is in mid season form.

As were the officials.  Walt Anderson didn't have the best night.

22 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

Relooking at my 5 things to watch for:

5. Couldn't really tell how William Jackson played, but judging by the fact that the defense was awful against the passing game, I will say it wasn't good. Granted the front 7 didn't do much to help them, but they go carved out by Smith and Mahomes.

WJIII looked good from what I saw.  Like last season a lot of the completions came against our LBs/Safeties.  Part of the problem though is that our LBs/Safeties are so bad in coverage that our CBs aren't tested.  So it's still tough to tell just how good they are/aren't in coverage when they aren't being tested... 

Some random thoughts from the game:

• Huge fan of Jordan Evans, Jordan Willis, and Ryan Glasgow.  Even if they don't become starters this season, they better get a decent amount of snaps in a rotation.
  • Glasgow is better on the field than Hardison, DeShawn Williams, and Brandon Thompson (as evidence with Thompson being cut).  A DT rotation with Geno, Sims, Billings, and Glasgow I'm good with.  Hopefully we can upgrade from Sims next season but for now, I'm fine with him.
  • Minter has been a disappointment so far.  But he's a Vet and might perform better after he's comfortable in the defense (maybe after the first quarter of football).  Would rather have Evans out there than him, but he's playing against the 1's and Evans against the backups, so I'll cut him some slack.  Plus he's a MLB and Evans is a WLB.  The WLB always makes more plays in our defense.  Seems like we don't know how to produce a quality MLB in Marvin's scheme.
  • I'm hoping Chris Smith has dominated enough that the coaches are forced to give him playing time ala Erickson over Tate last season.  These coaches are stubborn as hell, but Willis, Lawson, and Smith have looked x1000000 times better than Michael Johnson.  At some point their hand has to be forced to bench/cut Michael Johnson in favor of the young bloods.
  • Our OLine will continue to be subpar with Bodine at center.
  • WR is going to be the toughest cut this year...

35 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:
  • I'm hoping Chris Smith has dominated enough that the coaches are forced to give him playing time ala Erickson over Tate last season.  These coaches are stubborn as hell, but Willis, Lawson, and Smith have looked x1000000 times better than Michael Johnson.  At some point their hand has to be forced to bench/cut Michael Johnson in favor of the young bloods.
  •  

This may be my #1 frustration at the moment.  Johnson is clearly done, but has started both preseason games so far.  And the coaches probably haven't even thought about benching or cutting him.

Just now, theJ said:

This may be my #1 frustration at the moment.  Johnson is clearly done, but has started both preseason games so far.  And the coaches probably haven't even thought about benching or cutting him.

You see the cut-ups of Chris Smith applying pressure on 4 straight plays?  I get it's against scrub LTs (Chief fans seem done with Jah Reid), but even TEs block Michael Johnson effectively.  Those 4 consecutive plays by Smith are the most impressive thing by a Bengals player I've seen thus far this preseason...

1 minute ago, TheVillain112 said:

You see the cut-ups of Chris Smith applying pressure on 4 straight plays?  I get it's against scrub LTs (Chief fans seem done with Jah Reid), but even TEs block Michael Johnson effectively.  Those 4 consecutive plays by Smith are the most impressive thing by a Bengals player I've seen thus far this preseason...

I haven't.  You have a link?  Otherwise i'll try to find them on gamepass later, when i get 5 minutes (ha!).

Just now, theJ said:

@TheVillain112 - that is pretty impressive.  3 different moves on those first three.  The last one was kind of a gimme, but i'll take it anyway :)

Did they give him any PT against 1st or 2nd string?

They saw what Erickson brought by finally cutting Tate.  I'm hopeful that lesson might get Chris Smith some playing time against the 1's.  Mixon got some snaps on the first drive this past game, so they are learning.  I'm thinking either Chris Smith rotates in the 1st drive (if it's a long one) or gets in on the 2nd defensive series against the opposing teams 1's.   Still think Michael Johnson will open up the 3rd preseason game as the starter...

7 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

WJIII looked good from what I saw.  Like last season a lot of the completions came against our LBs/Safeties.  Part of the problem though is that our LBs/Safeties are so bad in coverage that our CBs aren't tested.  So it's still tough to tell just how good they are/aren't in coverage when they aren't being tested... 

I'll take your word for it. It seems the bigger problems from the secondary came from Derron Smith and Josh Shaw that game, especially when Williams got injured.

20 hours ago, theJ said:

@TheVillain112 - that is pretty impressive.  3 different moves on those first three.  The last one was kind of a gimme, but i'll take it anyway :)

Did they give him any PT against 1st or 2nd string?

So I re-watched the 1st half of the Bengals/Chiefs game and Chris Smith actually did get some snaps during the first drive.  He came in on two 3rd down plays, but it was hard to say how effective he was.  On the first one, he did get pressure rather quickly on the QB but the play was setup for a short dump pass to the RB which went for a first down.  So I'm not certain if the OLinemen were supposed to let the defenders through (Like a screen play).  On the second rush, he was double teamed so he didn't make much progress.

He did play against the Chiefs starting OTs later in the 2nd quarter when Maholmes came in and the starting Chiefs OLine still played.  During that series he did get a QB hit, where he got to the QB quickly and the QB was lucky to get the ball out of his hands. Which is more than Michael Johnson has done all preseason.  Jordan Willis also got some good pressure against Fisher, but he couldn't wrap up on Mahomes.

Anyway you look at it, the new guys (Chris Smith and Jordan Willis) have done a much better job at applying pressure than Michael Johnson has...

Archived