Who are the top five OC, DC, and STC right now?

patriotsheatyan

6 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

In no particular order for OCs.

Sean Payton

Kyle Shanahan

Sean McVay

Greg Olsen

Jim Bob Cooter

Yes 3/5 are HCs but it's their offensive system so ehhh.... 

If youre including Head Coaches, then Jim Bob Cooter and Greg Olsen have zero business being on here over Doug Pederson or Andy Reid.

Payton, Pederson, Shannahan, McVay, and Reid are the best offensive minds in the game. 

And frankly, even though I am infatuated with Kyle Shannahan and think that he is just an absolute genius on offense, none of those coaches deserve to be called better offensive coaches than Dougie P ...at least until one of them has a year like Pederson had where he was phenomenal all season long and followed that up with a postseason in which he just ran circles around Maike Zimmer (whos considered one of the best defensive minds in the game) in the NFCCG and then topped it all of by winning the Superbowl in the way he did....by facing GOAT HC and defensive wizard Belichick and his MVP winning GOAT QB with a team that didn't have its HOF LT, star MLB, star MVP-caliber young QB and was quarterbacked by Nick Foles....and then not only beating them, but doing so despite his defense giving up over 600 yards and 30+ pts. And also by literally out-coaching Belichick...and not only that, he essentially even went so far as to TROLL Bill freaking Belichick and thumb his nose at BB when he allowed his backup QB Foles to call a trick play that worked on 4th and goal in a crucial moment, shortly after the Pats attempted a similar sort of play in a key moment that culminated in Brady dropping an easy little lob pass for a would be first down.

I mean, being a great offensive coach isnt simply confined to how good your specific scheme is. Its about multiple things such as calling the right plays in the right situations, being aware and wise enough to know both your own and your players' strengths and weakneases, trusting your guys, especially your quarterback (even if he is someone like Nick Foles) and not letting your own hubris get in the way (some thing Andy Reid seems to have taught Pederson) and having the open mindedness to take your assistant coaches' ideas. 

Its why I love Sean Payton too. He has those traits also. 

But I also am (sort of) turned off by someone like McVay who is basically the sole decision maker on offense. He literally is in his quarterbacks ear instructing him presnap. He didn't even bother to hire an offensive coordinator this season!!! To me, that is something that COULD prove to be a disadvantage in the larger scope of things. The more minds in a room there are, the better IMO. It helps to keep more objectivity. Example: Andy Reid does this thing where every Monday (IIRC) during the season, the coaches all meet and Reid brings in a blank whiteboard. Basically everyone is encouraged to just walk up any time they want and write down a certain play or strategy that they either thought of or saw somewhere but ended up liking it (*this tidbit is talked about in Pederson's book he just wrote).

NOTE: Not at all hating on McVay. He is an offensive savant. But I think that if you really want to WIN a Superbowl, its gonna require a hell of a lot more than just that. I am worried that he might be so confident now after being praised and praised, and that he could fall victim to his own hubris at some point .......OR I could be completely wrong. Time will tell.

Back to OPs question....Im gonna limit my answers to coordinators.

Offense (no order)

Josh McDaniels

Mike McCoy

John DeFilippo(based off my projection)

Jim Bob Cooter

Nathaniel Hackett

Defense:

Wade Phillips

Jim Schwartz

Vic Fangio

Gus Bradley

Mike Pettine

19 hours ago, BAConrad said:

If youre including Head Coaches, then Jim Bob Cooter and Greg Olsen have zero business being on here over Doug Pederson or Andy Reid.

Payton, Pederson, Shannahan, McVay, and Reid are the best offensive minds in the game. 

And frankly, even though I am infatuated with Kyle Shannahan and think that he is just an absolute genius on offense, none of those coaches deserve to be called better offensive coaches than Dougie P ...at least until one of them has a year like Pederson had where he was phenomenal all season long and followed that up with a postseason in which he just ran circles around Maike Zimmer (whos considered one of the best defensive minds in the game) in the NFCCG and then topped it all of by winning the Superbowl in the way he did....by facing GOAT HC and defensive wizard Belichick and his MVP winning GOAT QB with a team that didn't have its HOF LT, star MLB, star MVP-caliber young QB and was quarterbacked by Nick Foles....and then not only beating them, but doing so despite his defense giving up over 600 yards and 30+ pts. And also by literally out-coaching Belichick...and not only that, he essentially even went so far as to TROLL Bill freaking Belichick and thumb his nose at BB when he allowed his backup QB Foles to call a trick play that worked on 4th and goal in a crucial moment, shortly after the Pats attempted a similar sort of play in a key moment that culminated in Brady dropping an easy little lob pass for a would be first down.

I mean, being a great offensive coach isnt simply confined to how good your specific scheme is. Its about multiple things such as calling the right plays in the right situations, being aware and wise enough to know both your own and your players' strengths and weakneases, trusting your guys, especially your quarterback (even if he is someone like Nick Foles) and not letting your own hubris get in the way (some thing Andy Reid seems to have taught Pederson) and having the open mindedness to take your assistant coaches' ideas. 

Its why I love Sean Payton too. He has those traits also. 

But I also am (sort of) turned off by someone like McVay who is basically the sole decision maker on offense. He literally is in his quarterbacks ear instructing him presnap. He didn't even bother to hire an offensive coordinator this season!!! To me, that is something that COULD prove to be a disadvantage in the larger scope of things. The more minds in a room there are, the better IMO. It helps to keep more objectivity. Example: Andy Reid does this thing where every Monday (IIRC) during the season, the coaches all meet and Reid brings in a blank whiteboard. Basically everyone is encouraged to just walk up any time they want and write down a certain play or strategy that they either thought of or saw somewhere but ended up liking it (*this tidbit is talked about in Pederson's book he just wrote).

NOTE: Not at all hating on McVay. He is an offensive savant. But I think that if you really want to WIN a Superbowl, its gonna require a hell of a lot more than just that. I am worried that he might be so confident now after being praised and praised, and that he could fall victim to his own hubris at some point .......OR I could be completely wrong. Time will tell.

Back to OPs question....Im gonna limit my answers to coordinators.

Offense (no order)

Josh McDaniels

Mike McCoy

John DeFilippo(based off my projection)

Jim Bob Cooter

Nathaniel Hackett

Defense:

Wade Phillips

Jim Schwartz

Vic Fangio

Gus Bradley

Mike Pettine

Great analysis, I give you plus 1 if I knew how but great analysis regardless 

I'll do your ST then

John Fassel - Rams (Number 1 last season with all 3 major actors [P,K,KR] All-Pro)

Jerry Rosburg - Ravens (The Ravens have ranked in the top four special teams rankings in six of the past seven seasons, including ranking No. 1 in both 2012 and 2015.)

Joe Judge - Patriots (best starting field position in league all through last season, TDs on punt and kick blocks)

Brad Seeley - Texans last season Raiders (the 2014 San Francisco 49ers are the only Seely unit to rank below 20th in DVOA. He led the No. 1 special teams for the 1996 Panthers and then again for the 2009 Browns. In between, his Patriots units were above average)

Dave Toub - Chiefs (the average rank of his units is a phenomenal 5.5, and he has run a top-10 special-teams unit for 11 straight years)

Archived