BDL 2018 Week 1: Rome Eternals @ Singapore Sentinels

Whicker

Rome Eternals @ Singapore Sentinels  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Rome Eternals
    • Singapore Sentinels

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/2018 at 04:00 PM

BDL 2018 Week 1

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For people who have been following along and wish to vote: please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Rome Eternals

QB Drew Brees
RB Todd Gurley
WR JuJu Smith Schuster
WR Amari Cooper
WR Marquise Goodwin
WR Ted  Ginn Jr
LT Tyron Smith
LG Ramon  Foster
C Brandon Linder
RG Marcus Gilbert
RT Ryan Ramczyk

WR James Washington
RB Theo Riddick
OL  Justin Britt
RB Devontae Booker
TE Jordan Reed
TE OJ Howard
TE Austin Sefarian Jenkins
OG Stefan  Wisniewski

DL Takk McKinley
DI Dalvin Tomlinson
DL  Michael Brockers
DL Carlos Dunlap
LB CJ Mosley
LB Josh  Bynes
CB William Jackson
CB Janoris Jenkins
Roamer Marlon Humphrey
S  Jahleel Addae
S  Barry  Church

S Shawn Williams
Edge Marcus Davenport
Edge Samson Ekuban
DI Malcolm Brown
DL Matt Ioannidis
CB  Nickel Robley Coleman
LB Patrick Onwuasor
CB Prince Amukamara

Singapore Sentinels

QB: Jimmy Garoppolo
RB1:  Kareem Hunt
FB: Kyle Juszczyk
WR1: Keenan Allen
WR2: Corey Davis 
TE1: Eric Ebron
LT: Joe Staley
LG: Lane Taylor
C: Rodney Hudson
RG: Josh Kline
RT: Marcus Cannon

--------------------
RB2: James Conner
RB3: Spencer Ware
WR3: Philip Dorsett
WR4: Trent Taylor
WR5: Mohamed Sanu
TE2: Ricky Seals-Jones
TE3: Jesse James
OL6: Laken Tomlinson

RDE: Everson Griffen
DT: Aaron Donald
NT: Damon Harrison
LDE: Danielle Hunter
MLB: Deion Jones
WLB: Jaylon Smith
CB: Trae Waynes
CB: Jalen Mills
SCB: Desmond King
FS: Duron Harmon
SS: John Johnson III

--------------------
CB4: Dre Kirkpatrick
CB5: Vernon Hargreaves III
S3: Jesse James III
S4: Quandre Diggs
LB3: Shaq Thompson
DL5: Linval Joseph
DL6: Derrick Morgan
DL7: Stephen Weatherly

Rome Eternals

Offense

We begin our defending championship season against a solid Singapore defense.  With an excellent d line, Singapore can present many teams with a lot of problems.  However we plan to max protect Brees to take advantage of a wobbly secondary while running a hurry up offense all game to tire down a team without much depth.

We all know how good Drew Brees and Todd Gurley are so no homerisms needed here.  The big get for Rome this past offseason was Tyron Smith who helps solidly the LT position long term for Rome. With an air raid approach today we move RT mountain Gilbert inside for added pass protection.  With the added help and hurry up offense, we are carrying two extra o line in case one of the big boys needs a couple plays off Linder and Ramcyk are two of the best young players at their position which will allow Gurley to help Foster on the inside or pick up blitzes with Linder sliding over to help

On the outside we have speed for days and believe we can take advantage of a sub par secondary.  We are gonna have a lot of short passes to keep the chains moving. King is probably the only corner we respect on the other side so we will be attacking the other three.  Expect Cooper and Ginn on the outside with Juju and Goodwin on the interior.

Once we have the defense tired out.  Expect more traditional running with a guard in for Gilbert and two te with Howard serving as more an h-back type of role.  Jordan Reed is healthy, for now, and will get a lot of looks in play action after a handful of runs

TL?DR     

Hurry up air raid against slim secondary.  Tire out d line then run late

Defense

Unfortunately for Singapore, they are without stud Leveon Bell who has decided to stay home instead of getting beat up by the Rome defense, and really who can blame him…

In all seriousness, Kareem hunt is a solid RB and while a slight downgrade from bell, he is still an above average RB.  We plan on keying in on the run here and have a good chance at stopping it. Up front Singapore has perhaps the best lt in the league with Joe Staley while the rest of their line is solid, if unspectacular.  In order to stop the run, we have our two big boy meat wall DT ready to go. Dunlap is a great run defender in his own right and we will be rotating players on the opposite edge to keep a fresh guy in. Josh Bynes doesn't provide much in coverage but he enters the lineup today as a run stopper.

On the outside our main objective is to take out Keenan Allen.  Luckily we have one of the best corners from last couple seasons in Janoris Jenkins.  Even with such, our high safety is gonna be sliding towards that direction in our base robber look.  On the other side William Jackson matches speed for speed with Corey Davis while Marlon Humphrey gets super physical inside with the smaller Taylor.  Addae plays closer to the line and draws hunt out of the backfield (also helping against the run) while moseley grabs whatever TE available. Bynes plays the short middle zone or rush the passers on occasion.  Both moseley and Addae have the blitz or drop back option if their opposition stays in to block. In four wide Robley Coleman comes in and is one of the best slot CB in the league. He'll match up against whoever is the Singapore slot wr. We will rotate Brown and Ioannidis inside for long passing downs with Davenport seeing playing time at either edge today to keep our d line fresh.

We will also sporadically mix in some zone blitzing to keep Jimmy G honest while the Bynes underneath zone also allows him to spy the qb while staying closer to the line.  

Tl/Dr. Eliminate run game.  Take out Allen with Jenkins plus help.  Make lesser options beat us.

SINGAPORE Week 1

Motivation

We tasted the playoffs again last year and want to get back. What better way than knocking off the reigning BDL Champs in our home opener.

Base Offense - 21 Personnel (1 RB, 1 FB, 2 WR, 1 TE)

The strongest and deepest position of the roster is our running backs so we will play to our strength and their versatility. Kareem Hunt will be the primary carrier this week, led by swiss army knife fullback Kyle Juszczyk. James Conner will be the backup with Hunt receiving 65% of the carries.  Once again Singapore will bring old school football back to the BDL.

Power-run scheme - Early downs will see some off tackle and power running to help wear down the DL/LB and keep the ball out of Brees’ hands. Joe Staley upgrades our OL from last year with the returning cast solidify our run game and will keep Jimmy G upright in time for his quick release to get the ball out on passing plays.

Chess pieces - The focus on the running game will get extra DB’s off the field. If not, then the running backs will have a field day. Jimmy G will look to take advantage of this mismatch with his excellent weapons. Keenan Allen is a top 5 WR and will work the outside likely drawing double or single high coverage. Corey Davis is looking to build on his playoff surge and will hold down the opposite side. Ebron should have the edge against a LB in the seam. Juszczyk and Hunt are pass catchers in their own right and a few empty backfield looks with them shifting to the slot and in motion will create additional windows for chunk yardage and big plays.

The 3rd WR will be Dorsett, shifting Allen into the slot. Seals-Jones is in for 2 TE sets to offer additional Red Zone options. Jesse James will some in in Jumbo and Short Yardage situation.

Defense (4-2-5)

Nickel Base w/Two High Safety - Brees is one of the best, which is why we hope to limit the Eternals offensive snaps. Waynes and Mills will have coverage underneath on their sides. King will line up near the LOS and alternate between stopping the run or blitzing. Harmon and Johnson III will be deep in Zone to help cover Cooper and Smith Shuster over the top. With Edleman out, it will fall on Rookies or Journeymen to fill that 3rd WR spot.

The Strong get Stronger - Griffen versus Tyron Smith will be worth the ticket to this game alone. Two Giants at their position who will battle all game. Hunter will get Gilbert one on one and put Brees on his back or cut a half second off his release. Aaron Donald will create his normal havoc in the middle on the way to another DPOY season. Snacks is the new addition to this DL and will eat space enough for 3 guys to give Gurley nowhere to run inside. Our rotation of former starter Joseph, trade acquisition Morgan and rising start Weatherly will keep everyone fresh and able to keep Brees on his toes all game.

Second line of defense - Deion Jones will call the defense and have coverage duties on Reed or Howard. Jaylon Smith is the second LB this week to help stop Todd Gurley, he’s another year removed from injury and is reportedly is finally healthy again. Thompson will get some work in the box this week as well if Rome goes to two TE sets. Our LB’s are sideline to sideline guys that are free to move around because of how well out DL takes out Blockers.

TL:DR: Run the ball to keep Brees off the field and play to our strengths of solid defense.

Rome Vs. Singapore

By far the best game plan by two team’s hell bent on winning the season opener.  This is a slug fest and the hardest match up I've had to vote on thus far.  I believe this game boils down to a defensive battle but before I make my vote known, I've got a couple questions about the game plan and wanted to know if that is something done.

5 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Rome Vs. Singapore

By far the best game plan by two team’s hell bent on winning the season opener.  This is a slug fest and the hardest match up I've had to vote on thus far.  I believe this game boils down to a defensive battle but before I make my vote known, I've got a couple questions about the game plan and wanted to know if that is something done.

you can ask away if something isn't clear.  

@bcb1213

You talk about running a max protect offense in your first paragraph to give Brees a better chance of not getting killed by Singophores defensive front and a game plan in which they plan to target him.

My question to you is in your gameplan and lineup, you describe a hurry up, air raid  style offense for much of the game.  Yet it sounds like you're running 4 wide sets without a TE most of the game.  So this max protect you talk about is that just the 5 offensive lineman and Gurley behind the QB?

37 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

@bcb1213

You talk about running a max protect offense in your first paragraph to give Brees a better chance of not getting killed by Singophores defensive front and a game plan in which they plan to target him.

My question to you is in your gameplan and lineup, you describe a hurry up, air raid  style offense for much of the game.  Yet it sounds like you're running 4 wide sets without a TE most of the game.  So this max protect you talk about is that just the 5 offensive lineman and Gurley behind the QB?

yep, singapore normally only likes to rush their front four because of how good it is.  I feel leaving Gurley in while putting Smith basically on an islend will give me 5 on 3, which i think will prevail

Rome Vs. Singapore

Rome understands that Singapore is bringing a solid defense, particularly the defensive line and its true, their front four can get after the quarterback and control the line vs the run.  Their offense for this is max protect, but their game plan suggest, airing it out with a no huddle starting lineup of 4 wide outs.  Even with the added tackle in Smith I question if a 4 wide set can considered max protect.  From what I understand, Singapore’s game plan defensively is to get after the quarterback and with that starting lineup; I think they can disrupt Brees’ comfort zone.

Singapore’s offense is to pound it out on the ground, by going old school smash mouth football.  However, Rome seems key to this and plans to throw the kitchen sink in, while playing man coverage on their receivers. 

By far the best game plan by two team’s hell bent on winning the season opener.  This is a slug fest and the hardest match up to vote on thus far.  I believe this game boils down to a defensive battle and that Singapore's front is given the slight advantage.

It's amazing how deep singapore is at RB... Anyway.

This was the hardest game to decide between this week, because both teams are very well balanced and have great counters and in depth gameplans that make me go back and forth.

Brees+Gurley is a deadly combo and Brees hasn't lost anything except maybe a little bit of arm strength, not that it matters. Garrapolo+Hunt leaves a bit to be desired given Jimmy's blegh play in week 1 but I think he's a very solid QB who does a lot here to keep this close...Aaron Donald is a game changer as always and what he's done in week 1 so far (It's halftime for MNF) is nothing short of dominant. 

I think Singapore gets it done here, their pass rush is more than enough to Counter Brees and while Rome has a good o-line it's going up against some of the very best in football and there is no hard counter for that. 

21-24 Singapore. 

Archived