BDL 2018 Week 1: Rome Eternals @ Singapore Sentinels

Whicker

Rome Eternals @ Singapore Sentinels  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Rome Eternals
    • Singapore Sentinels

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/2018 at 04:00 PM

Matchup of the week between two of the best squads in BDL. If it were played IRL it could go in a lot of different ways.

I believes Sing sing disrupts the LoS on offense at first. Not a fan of sliding Gilbert inside vs Donald and Snacks, and not sure if Smith is the same guy he once was. I understand the plan for Rome but I don't think they succeed in it with receivers who are mostly deep threats. Juju is well contained by King which leaves Cooper, who I'm not a fan tbh. I think Sing cover 2 high works well vs Goodwin and Ginn. That will lead to a lot of defensive stops and a couple of turnovers. 

On the other side, I think Singapore running game has mixed success vs a solid run defense which has come prepared. As for the passing game, it's almost limited to Hunt and Allen, but the latter has looked unstoppable vs KC. I believe he can get away from Janoris on a couple occasions and get a big gain or two.

Singapore holds a 23-3 lead until the 4th with a defensive TD, a Keenan Allen long TD and 3 FGs. With Gurley more involved and the DL getting tired, Brees mounts a furious comeback in the 4th that falls short on a 4th & 1 with a minute remaining. Singap 23 Rome 17

Singapore has a very capable team, but I’m not sure they can consistently get to Brees. Donald needs a few games to shake off some rust.

OTOH, I liked Rome’s gameplan and their scheme seems to have a solid chance to work. I’m not basing actions solely based on this week, but in that department Rome also has the edge. I think they win an impressive road game against a quality opponent. 

This is probably the best matchup of the week with two fierce teams with good counters for each other, I'm going Rome because while Donald was dominant as usual I don't think your 4 man rush is enough to disrupt Brees with them getting the ball out quicker in a hurry up offense. 

Maaaaaan. This one was a good matchup. I think Rome planning to spread the defense out, and go with quick hits to wear down a thin secondary will ultimately be what decides this game. 

SirA always has a ridiculous stable of RB's but I don't think that will bode well if they're playing catch up today.

As others have said, this was a very good game.

The one thing I keep coming back to is Rome moving Gilbert inside "for added pass protection." If you mean added pass protection over whoever you were going to have to play this week at G, then perhaps that's right, but added pass protection over someone who'd actually be a good guard is something I have a hard time buying. Especially when it's someone who hasn't played guard since his first year of college. If you are saying moving a tackle inside would be an upgrade in pass pro over a guard, then we'd have to assume you're taking a significant hit in run blocking, right? Or else why even buy guards? Just move a tackle inside all the time, mention in your lineup that it increases something, and call it good. I was forced to play guys out of position all the time last year, and people couldn't stop harping on how they'd be better in position. I think Bcb was a strong voice in that even. I think it's a stretch to say Gilbert would offer even average guard play in this game, and he's going up against the best player in football and a player that's considered the gold standard in interior run stopping.

I've had a minor problem with how pass rushing is perceived in this league ever since Rob Havenstein beat Von Miller. I think this situation is even worse. Quick passes can only be so quick or else they won't gain any yards. Fast interior pressure will disrupt even the quickest of passing games. Aaron Donald has been put alongside top options in every spot. He's facing an offensive line with a right tackle who struggled this week, a guy playing out of position, and an average guard. If you can defeat a D-line with top tier options at every spot with a frankly average BDL line and lip service in your gameplan, then there's very little point in putting together a big time pass rush in BDL.

I think both teams will have issues with consistency from their pass catchers.  Keenan and Juju are the only two that I can say have been solidly consistent.  The others vary wildly.  That said, I trust Brees just a tiny bit more than Jimmy to get it done when his guys are inconsistent, especially against a weaker secondary.  Although that DL for Singapore will be very annoying all year.

I think these two teams are very evenly matched, with both offenses in my opinion lacking a bit in their receiving options at the moment. I feel with time Rome could have a great 2 TE duo in Reed & Howard soon. 

Ultimately, I feel Singapore's DL is better equipeed to stop the run and pass than Rome's, who's strength lies in the secondary. I feel despite a better performance from Brees, Singapore can move the ball effectively enough on the ground to maintain control and in the end just squeeze past. 

16-13 Singapore. 

Archived