Preseason Week Two - Bucs @ Jags

bucsfan333

38 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I believe when Martin is on suspension,  he won't be on the 53 man roster.  Barber is a very good runner, but if he can't pass protect he won't play.  If they believe McNichols can make it to the practice squad that might allow Barber to make the roster.   I think in Miami it will be Rodgers, Sims,  and McNichols.   Right now,  McNichols looks tentative, not surprising as a rookie,  but I believe long term he has the best overall skill set after Martin.

Personally I would swap out Sims or McNichols for Barber. Without Barber that group looks a little too soft.

Also

Our offense needs to seriously get it together

we need TDs, and if Winston doesnt cut out these dumb turnovers we are doomed. Everything Ive read is that wow we looked good out there! In reality, we looked like trash, couldnt punch it in for any points after the first drive and should have lost and will lose to better teams if we play like that. I mean , its the freakin jags, we should have trounced them.  i know its just the preseason but come on. they didnt even have their starting corners out there!  we should have been up 21-0 before the half ended. Honestly im scared our O is getting too much hype

Other Negatives

Bond should be released

VHIII got burned bad by the rookie Cole

Plus side

we have to keep Glanton, dude was a rockstar out there

Beckwith should start

OLine looked phenomenal against what SHOULD be a good DLine of the Jags

Smith looked good too against Robinson

OJ looked good, needs to punch in that TD though

5 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

If anything we should see if we can get a late pick for Sims

IMO hes just a waste of a roster spot, Barber is  better, and i dont want to cut ties with McNichols just yet

Welcome aboard.

The problem with trading Sims is his contract. He's on the last year of it. There would have to be an extension if we traded him. But I'd take the fifth/sixth we'd probably get and be happy.

I think "trash" is a bit strong. We had 250 yards in the first half, at like seven yards per play. Evans dropped that dime for the would-be TD before Jameis even had a chance to go full Winston. But I do agree for the most part. We can't absolutely dominate a half of football like that and only score 12 freakin' points. That's ridiculous.

25 minutes ago, deuces22wild said:

Personally I would swap out Sims or McNichols for Barber. Without Barber that group looks a little too soft.

I understand what you are writing.   I'm just not sure Koetter wants to carry a one dimensional RB on the roster like the Pats did with Blount.  Granted, Barber adds a physical running style that is very similar to Martin.   However,  I think they put a high priority on a RB able to offer pass protection.  McNichols needs work also, but his overall running and pass catching might turn out to be the best of the group.  To cut him and hope he doesn't get claimed is a risk.  I'm starting to wonder if Barber fits into the Mike James category.  He can play in the league,  but his limited speed and pass catching keep him as a fringe roster player.  Of course,  if someone unfortunately gets injured over the next 2 weeks, it gets sorted out easily.  I don't think they want to risk missing in McNichols,  IMO.

19 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I think "trash" is a bit strong. We had 250 yards in the first half, at like seven yards per play. Evans dropped that dime for the would-be TD before Jameis even had a chance to go full Winston. But I do agree for the most part. We can't absolutely dominate a half of football like that and only score 12 freakin' points. That's ridiculous.

Looking around the league,  I don't see any offenses scoring at will at this point of the preseason.   With the way training camps are conducted today, not surprising seeing offenses out of sync.  No idea how that Jags defense will be, but I'm very encouraged to see Koetter use various personnel packages and move guys around to create matchups problems.  Certainly much work to be done.   Winston can't make that throw, should be a heck of a scene on Hard Knocks.  Jameis has his Favre moments for sure. Favre used to drive Holmgren nuts. The hope is with experience these Favre moments with Jameis will happen less often.  

Barber has shown the ability to catch the ball at practice. His only real weaknesses are his lack of top end speed and pass blocking. But he's fast enough, as he showed last year against San Fran. He's just gotta get the pass blocking figured out.

12 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:
13 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Ryan Smith gives up too much cushion. And he does it a lot. Not sure why.

It's the scheme being run, not just him. See this a lot in preseason...

Koetter actually addressed this in his presser. Said our guys were giving up too much space. 

1 hour ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

If anything we should see if we can get a late pick for Sims

IMO hes just a waste of a roster spot, Barber is  better, and i dont want to cut ties with McNichols just yet

My problem is that I like Sims a bit too much. I'm also probably trying to convince myself that we haven't blown a third round pick as well.

I think Barber offers something that we don't have, whereas Sims, McNichols and Rodgers all have a similar style. 

Like a few of you guys have said, we don't need to do anything until Martin is back from suspension. The odd man out will be decided over the next 5 games.

4 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Looking around the league,  I don't see any offenses scoring at will at this point of the preseason.   With the way training camps are conducted today, not surprising seeing offenses out of sync.  No idea how that Jags defense will be, but I'm very encouraged to see Koetter use various personnel packages and move guys around to create matchups problems.  Certainly much work to be done.   Winston can't make that throw, should be a heck of a scene on Hard Knocks.  Jameis has his Favre moments for sure. Favre used to drive Holmgren nuts. The hope is with experience these Favre moments with Jameis will happen less often.  

On top of that we don't necessarily know the plays that Dirk is calling in the redzone. Sans that Throw for no reason, it seemed like we got conservative in the redzone. My biggest concern with offense is the timing between Winston and DJax, as they can't seem to get on the same page, but as ravishinggone said, the pre season offenses aren't blowing teams away. Most teams usually play close to the vest unless there is a QB battle.

Also, we have to stop and think about how much of our offense are we really showing during the preseason? Same with our defense.

While Winston had that one forced throw, we should be also looking at the fact at how much he is actually going through progressions and actually making the smart read more often than he has in the past.

Archived