2018-2019 Heisman Watch Thread

Shylo3716

I think Murray lost some standing tonight in regards to the Heisman. He still had a solid performance in an OT win, so his chances aren't shot, but in my mind there are at least a couple of QB's who should clearly be ahead of him.

For me right now, it's Tua in a landslide, but Haskins deserves to be the runner up. Dwayne is playing out of his mind right now, but Tua is just in a league of his own. It's gonna take one helluva bad game for him to lose that top spot.

Tua, Grier, Haskins, Murray in that order. We're still in that volatile territory where 1 game can catapult any of these 4 to being the #1 favorite, or on their way out of the heisman watch

I'd probably give it to Grier since he's the only one not playing with an insane supporting cast but still has crazy numbers through 3 games, but if voting was today I predict Tua would win in a landslide. 

6 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Tua, Grier, Haskins, Murray in that order. We're still in that volatile territory where 1 game can catapult any of these 4 to being the #1 favorite, or on their way out of the heisman watch

I'd probably give it to Grier since he's the only one not playing with an insane supporting cast but still has crazy numbers through 3 games, but if voting was today I predict Tua would win in a landslide. 

Idk I think looking at tOSU cast, a lot of returning talent but what JTB did last year with them compared to what Haskins should give him some bonus points in the eyes of votes. tOSU struggled last year to have any kind of a legit passing attack. Haskins has stepped in and has completely taken their passing attack to a completely different. A level that hasn’t been seen in a Columbus since 2006 and 1997/1998. 1200yard 16TDs/1INT 75% is unreal so far, specially for a Urbz QB as well

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

Idk I think looking at tOSU cast, a lot of returning talent but what JTB did last year with them compared to what Haskins should give him some bonus points in the eyes of votes. tOSU struggled last year to have any kind of a legit passing attack. Haskins has stepped in and has completely taken their passing attack to a completely different. A level that hasn’t been seen in a Columbus since 2006 and 1997/1998. 1200yard 16TDs/1INT 75% is unreal so far, specially for a Urbz QB as well

I was never very high on OSU's current receivers, they had their moments but they don't even compare to the '15 squad IMO. I think Haskins has dramatically elevated their play, and that shouldn't go unnoticed. He's putting balls on the money and setting these guys up to thrive. I could not say the same with Barret if I'm being honest.

5 hours ago, buno67 said:

Wasn't JTB a bum? At least that's what I heard from every OSU fan and their mother... So only natural then that the pass game would improve if even a solid QB came to town.

11 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I think Murray lost some standing tonight in regards to the Heisman. He still had a solid performance in an OT win, so his chances aren't shot, but in my mind there are at least a couple of QB's who should clearly be ahead of him.

For me right now, it's Tua in a landslide, but Haskins deserves to be the runner up. Dwayne is playing out of his mind right now, but Tua is just in a league of his own. It's gonna take one helluva bad game for him to lose that top spot.

Maybe it's the homer in me, but I don't think Kyler really lost much.  Oklahoma only had the ball for ~15 minutes last night.  He completed 73% of his passes last night, and added another 70+ yards rushing.  The only knock you could make is that interception, but he did what he was supposed to do.  The defense didn't do what it was supposed to do when Army went a combined 17-26 on 3rd and 4th down.  Get a couple of more stops, and Oklahoma has a few more chances to score and this is a completely different game.

I'd probably go with Tua, Murray, and Haskins in that order right now.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe it's the homer in me, but I don't think Kyler really lost much.  Oklahoma only had the ball for ~15 minutes last night.  He completed 73% of his passes last night, and added another 70+ yards rushing.  The only knock you could make is that interception, but he did what he was supposed to do.  The defense didn't do what it was supposed to do when Army went a combined 17-26 on 3rd and 4th down.  Get a couple of more stops, and Oklahoma has a few more chances to score and this is a completely different game.

I'd probably go with Tua, Murray, and Haskins in that order right now.

I will say that I believe the Heisman voters held Murray in higher regards than Haskins coming in, but Dwayne has been racking up the numbers. 300 yards and 5 TD's in the FIRST HALF, before sitting out the final half. If that doesn't put him ahead of Murray considering all that happened, I don't know what will. Now I get that the close game wasn't all on Kyler, but Haskins has been putting up superior numbers. For now, I think he should, at the very least, be even with Kyler.

3 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Wasn't JTB a bum? At least that's what I heard from every OSU fan and their mother... So only natural then that the pass game would improve if even a solid QB came to town.

Hey you ask anyone in the tOSU thread. I Was prolly the biggest and most positive JTB fan there was on this site lol. Yeah naturally the passing game would improve but to the tune of 300yards and 4TD a game avg isn’t what naturally would happen tho. 

Trent Dilfer said that Tua was the high school prospect he had ever seen and it's not close.  Dilfer also said that he is a "Generational Talent" and he's the best prospect of all 32 NFL starters (I guess if you look at all 32 NFL starters when they were coming out as a prospect).

18 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I will say that I believe the Heisman voters held Murray in higher regards than Haskins coming in, but Dwayne has been racking up the numbers. 300 yards and 5 TD's in the FIRST HALF, before sitting out the final half. If that doesn't put him ahead of Murray considering all that happened, I don't know what will. Now I get that the close game wasn't all on Kyler, but Haskins has been putting up superior numbers. For now, I think he should, at the very least, be even with Kyler.

You don't get extra points for sitting out the half.  If anything, that's probably gonna hold some negative feelings since Ohio State clearly outclassed Tulane.  Haskins has a higher CMP% and better TD/INT ratio, but Murray has the higher YPA.  Their QBRs are pretty close.  The gap I see is the threat that Murray is with his legs, and that's where Kyler clearly has the edge on Haskins.  Haskins needs to be clearly better as a passer than Murray to make up for that gap with his legs.

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You don't get extra points for sitting out the half.  If anything, that's probably gonna hold some negative feelings since Ohio State clearly outclassed Tulane.  Haskins has a higher CMP% and better TD/INT ratio, but Murray has the higher YPA.  Their QBRs are pretty close.  The gap I see is the threat that Murray is with his legs, and that's where Kyler clearly has the edge on Haskins.  Haskins needs to be clearly better as a passer than Murray to make up for that gap with his legs.

I know what you mean, in regards to Haskins being a clearly better passer (stats related in this case), but, when you watch them both, Haskins passing ability is head and shoulders better than Kyler's. Just wanted to point that out.

I was really impressed with McKenzie Milton, and he's definitely on the dark horse list for me.  

Bryce Love could've had a signature game against Oregon, but he didn't even reach 100 yards despite 19 carries.  He's almost out of contention for me.  

The Haskins and Murray discussion is a good one.  Will Grier deserves to be at the top as well, but his numbers don't stack up due to losing a game due to Hurricane Florence.  All three need to face some better competition, right now they are racking up stats against teams they are supposed to beat.  Ohio State has the best opponent in TCU, but they don't quite look as good as they lost another one this past week.  

Right now, I'd have to give the slightest edge to Haskins due to the TCU victory, Murray is right on his heels followed by Grier. 

Archived