2018-2019 Heisman Watch Thread

Shylo3716

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I hope that Dwayne Haskins plays well enough to win them regular season games (and obviously a lot more), but shows enough "rawness" that he has to come back again next year. 

I think he’d have to tank pretty bad not to end up leaving at this rate unfortunately. There’s probably not a better draft eligible prospect in CFB. Love that he wasn’t playing over Barrett last year, who isn’t good enough to make a squad. It took a real QB to show that the lack of WR production was on the QB position. What we knew all along. 

Tua is the clear Heisman front runner. Lots of season left, but the hype, the way the award is determined, and him being the first great QB at Bama in quite sometime is the perfect storm. 

24 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I think he’d have to tank pretty bad not to end up leaving at this rate unfortunately. There’s probably not a better draft eligible prospect in CFB. 

Grier might be the only one. He's looked pretty solid and obviously has more PT under his belt. Haskins ain't coming back though. He'll be a first round pick so I'm glad, like last year w/ Simba, that Tate is getting PT. We'll need him for two years until Jack Miller gets here. Hopefully he can hit the ground running.

Just now, JTagg7754 said:

Grier might be the only one. He's looked pretty solid and obviously has more PT under his belt. Haskins ain't coming back though. He'll be a first round pick so I'm glad, like last year w/ Simba, that Tate is getting PT. We'll need him for two years until Jack Miller gets here. Hopefully he can hit the ground running.

The thing with Haskins that OSU hasn’t had since Playoff Cardale is that great defenses can’t stack the box without getting dissected downfield. Teams loaded up the box on Barrett, and it limited the offense, because he wasn’t a threat to air it out. Martell has some abilities but isn’t nearly the same passing threat as Haskins. He could still have a nice future, but development is still needed there. This seems to be the best offense we’ve had at least since Playoff Cardale and Zeke, when they were unstoppable. Unfortunately it’s also a year Alabama is as good as they’ve ever been. 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

If Bama continues this domination offensively, they may have a 2 year window that puts them in the pantheon 94/95 Nebraska or 01/02 THE U territory.

Yup. Assuming of course they maintain their dominant defense (a safe assumption, ~95% confidence, but not a guarantee since they pretty much field a new defense ever year after losing most starters to the 1st round). Tua Bama to CFB feels like the Warriors to the NBA, we know the outcome, it will take a memorable upset for anything other than a Bama championship.

Also, I think it could be longer than simply the 2 years of Tua, as the Tua era may very well "enlighten" Saban, if you will, and open his eyes to the benefit of rolling with riskier true passer who can carry the offense over the super conservative QB that will not turn it over but cannot be relied upon in the rare event the run is shut down. 

9 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Grier is the safer bet considering that experience, but I imagine Haskins may end up with more upside.  It will be interesting to see how that all plays out this year, and leading up to the NFL Draft.  

10 hours ago, Scalamania said:

Haskins comes out and lights up PSU @ PSU he'll be the front-runner IMO. 

Agreed.  However, you also have to look at Grier and Murray, and they have a head to head matchup scheduled.  That game could play a huge role in multiple ways, especially since it's the season-ending game for both teams

20 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I think he’d have to tank pretty bad not to end up leaving at this rate unfortunately. There’s probably not a better draft eligible prospect in CFB. Love that he wasn’t playing over Barrett last year, who isn’t good enough to make a squad. It took a real QB to show that the lack of WR production was on the QB position. What we knew all along. 

Tua is the clear Heisman front runner. Lots of season left, but the hype, the way the award is determined, and him being the first great QB at Bama in quite sometime is the perfect storm. 

Haskins could look at Trub and the Bears. Trubrisky left a year early and it might be leading him into being a potential bust. 

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

Haskins could look at Trub and the Bears. Trubrisky left a year early and it might be leading him into being a potential bust. 

Simba's a more polished NFL ready QB though. I agree that I like experience in conjunction w/ passing the eye test more than anything when evaluating QBs at the next level but it's tough to say "no" when you have a first round grade (probably high when it's all said and done) and you risk going back to school and injuring yourself. If we somehow win a NC this year, he's definitely gone. That is the only thing I could see keeping him around longer.

23 hours ago, buno67 said:

Haskins also needs to look at what Ryan Day does, if Day leaves, Haskins should leave as well. All he has to do is look back at what happened when Herman left and how the QBs played after he left.

3 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Haskins also needs to look at what Ryan Day does, if Day leaves, Haskins should leave as well. All he has to do is look back at what happened when Herman left and how the QBs played after he left.

Idk about that tho. Wilson will still be here and I think Wilson and Day have done great things for Haskins. Wilson is also proven as an OC and working with QBs where when Beck came in he was only known as a great recruiter 

Archived