BDL 2018 Week 1: Berlin Blitzkrieg @ Portland Horned Owls

ny92mike

Berlin Blitzkrieg @ Portland Horned Owls  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Berlin Blitzkrieg
    • Portland Horned Owls

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/2018 at 04:00 PM

BDL 2018 Week 1

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Berlin Blitzkrieg

Starting Offensive Lineup

QB - Case Keenum

RB - Lamar Miller

TE - Kyle Rudolph

WR - Tyreek Hill

WR - DeSean Jackson

WR - Kenny Golladay

LT - Trent Williams

LG - Justin Pugh

C - Corey Linsley

RG - Gabe Jackson

RT - Ja’wuan James

RB - Corey Clement

TE - Trey Burton

WR - Chris Godwin

WR - J’Mon Moore

WR - MVS

OT - Kolton Miller

OL - Taylor Moton

Starting Defensive Lineup

Edge - DeMarcus Lawrence

DT - Mike Daniels

NT - Brandon Williams

Edge - Justin Houston

LB - Tremaine Edmunds

LB - Ja’Whaun Bentley

CB - Ronald Darby

CB - Gareon Conley

Slot - AJ Bouye

S - Haha Clinton-Dix

S - Damontae Kazee

Edge - Lorenzo Carter

Edge - Trey Hendrickson

Edge/INT - Deatrich Wise

INT - Davon Godchaux

LB - Kiko Alonso

CB - Eric Rowe

CB - Mike Hilton

S - Tashaun Gipson

Portland Horned Owls: Game-day Lineup

Starting Offensive Lineup 
QB1: Derek Carr
RB1: LeSean McCoy
WR1: Davante Adams 
WR2: Jamison Crowder
WR3: John Ross
TE1: Charles Clay
LT: Alejandro Villanueva
LG: Clint Boling
C:  Ben Jones
RG: Josh Sitton
RT: Laremy Tunsil 

Reserves:
QB2: Tyrod Taylor
RB2: Jay Ajayi
RB3: Peyton Barber
WR4: Cameron Meredith
WR5: Allen Hurns
TE2: Austin Hooper
OL6: Matt Paradis
OL7: Kelvin Beachum

Portland's 4-3 Defense:
DE:  Brian Orakpo
3T:  Kawann Short
DT:  DaQuan Jones
DE:  T.J Watt
WLB: Telvin Smith 
MLB: Blake Martinez
CB1: Desmond Trufant
CB2: Brandon Carr
SCB: Jason McCourty
FS: Glover Quin
SS: Malcolm Jenkins

Reserves:
SLB: Zach Brown
RLB: Vince Williams
CB4: Jonathan Joseph
CB5: Tavon Young
S3:  Kareem Jackson
DE3: Emmanuel Ogbah
NT:  Michael Pierce
DL: Shelby harris

Berlin Blitzkrieg 

@Ragnarok

Game Plan delivered at 9/09/2018 11:23 AM

Offense

TL;DR - 3 WR sets, establish the run game, attack their CBs, go after other mismatches

Look for mostly 3-1-1 offense.

Starting with the run game, we believe we have a distinct advantage in the trenches.  None of their edge rushers scare us as we think we can handle them 1-on-1 although TJ Watt might need a chip here and there in the passing game.  The interior is more challenging as Short is a stud.  However, we think that our group inside can double him and scrape off while the other guard handles the other DT solo.  We are going to establish the run both inside and outside to set up RPOs and play action passes.  Both Miller and Clement can play all three downs and we want to use them in a variety of ways.  We want to force Portland to bring a safety into the box.

Especially with Jimmy Smith out, we want to attack the corners of Portland.  Forcing them to bring a safety down helps in this.  Trufant is good, but we are not going to shy away from him if he is on Tyreek.  If anyone else covers Tyreek, expect us to target him just about every play.  Assuming Trufant does cover Tyreek, we want to spread the ball around.  We will use our WRs to spread the field vertically as they all have speed.  We will also rotate in Godwin and the rookies to give us a bit more size to go with speed and keep our WRs fresh.

Rudolph starts in this game as he is a better blocker and offers more size.  We want to use his size as a mismatch against the shorter LBs of Portland, especially in the red zone.  Also, he will be better suited to block LBs and safeties in the run game.  If Telvin isn’t on Rudolph, we will target him heavily.  We will mix Burton in a bit to take advantage of his athleticism and move him all over the formation.

If Telvin is on Rudolph, look for us to target our RBs a fair bit in the passing game as we think either RB will have a distinct advantage over whoever if covering them.

If for some reason, a safety is covering either our TE or RB, we are going to take our deep shots.  Quinn and Jenkins are a great tandem, but they need to keep both back to cover us downfield.

Defense

TL;DR - Dominate at the line, remove the run game, erase the RBs in the passing game, make the WRs beat us.

Our DL should have a field day against this offensive line.  While their OTs are solid, we have two elite edge rushers.  And although they have some good guys inside, we have a nasty tandem.  Not to mention the depth to keep those guys fresh.  This should give us a distinct advantage in stopping their offense.

We want to first shut down the run game.  Haha will play up close to the line to aid in this.  Tremaine, Bentley, and Haha should be able to clean up anything that gets past the DL if anything does.

In the pass game, Tremaine will take the RB out of the backfield.  He has the athleticism and speed to limit their damage.  Bentley takes the TE as none of Portland’s TEs worry us.  Haha is going to either drop into a middle zone, help Tremaine with a RB, or double up a WR.

Darby gets Davante.  Gareon takes the #2.  Bouye takes the slot.  We have the utmost faith in Darby limiting Davante as he had an awesome game against Julio, Gareon handling anyone Portland has outside,  and in Bouye shutting down the slot.  Kazee has shown his ability and he will sit deep to limit long throws.  If need be, he will shade to a side to give additional help.

If they go 4 WRs, Hilton comes in for Bentley.

If they go with a heavier set, Kiko comes in for Conley.

Portland Horned Owls

@SwoleXmad

Game Plan delivered at 9/08/2018 4:29 PM

Motivation: It's week 1 and I want to keep the perfect record of beating my BDL mentors going.

Portland Offensive Gameplan: We're going to go pass happy this game at a 55:45 split, however in the first half we will set up the passing game by going run heavy.

The Passing Game: Derek Carr returns as our starter this year, featured by a revitalized pass catching corps and a modified o-line. We're going to take a few deep shots with John Ross and Adams, Adams will mostly play outside while Crowder will man the slot. We shall use a 2 TE offense on roughly 20% of the snaps so we can get Clay+Hooper involved a bit in the passing game, I fully expect our WRs and TEs can take advantage of Berlin's lackluster back seven.

LeSean McCoy will be featured heavily as a pass catcher out of the backfield and we'll try and get him matched up on Kiko Alonso if Alonso plays significant snaps. Derek Carr will make adjustments and audible as he sees fit and I fully expect Berlin to come out with a mostly zone defense, Adams will play most of the snaps but outside of him our WRs will rotate heavily so we can see who will make plays this week.

The Running Game: LeSean McCoy, Jay Ajayi, Barber will split carries 50:45:5 with McCoy receiving the majority of the carries and touches, we'll try and establish our running game early and build a lead and then try and take advantage of Berlin's safety issues with Berry unlikely to play.

The Blocking: In case of injuries, Beachum will play LT/RT, Paradis will play C/G and Hernandez will play G. We'll also leave a RB/TE in to pass protect or give extra attention/blocking to a pass rusher if someone proves to be a problem.

TDLR; Control the clock, Control the LOS, Get the ball into the hands of our playmakers.

Portland Defensive Gameplan: We plan on taking away Berlin's running game and forcing them to beat us by throwing the ball, we'll stack the box and send extra rushers after Keenum.

Pass Coverage: We'll be playing mostly zone defense with Trumant assigned to cover Tyreek hill and some occasional help over the top on whoever is covering Hill at the time, Brandon Carr will man the no.2 CB spot and will more than likely cover DeSean Jackson on most plays, Jason McCourty may be playing S IRL for the Patriots but here he'll be manning the slot CB position. Berlin will be starting the worst QB in BDL this week with Keenum, Keenum isn't terrible but he's far from ideal. Malcolm Jenkins will be tasked with covering TEs in this game, which means going against Burton and Rudolph who are both very good TEs I fully expect Berlin to use both TEs heavily and potentially as their base offense given their lacking WR corps. Berlin's o-line has some solid players up front but the overall o-line lacks an elite player outside of Williams, I'd expect my front seven should be able to put pressure on Keenum and control the LOS. Telvin Smith will be the signal caller on defense and he'll make adjustments if Berlin tries something not outlined in the gameplan. Since we'll be mostly playing zone defense we won't be blitzing that much, however I expect my d-line to get a decent amount of pressure on Keenum and create a turnover or two. T.J Watt in particular should be dominant this week, Short+Jones should be able to keep their inside running game in check and Pierce will rotate in with Jones on running downs/goal-line situations.

Run Defense: With Berlin only having 2 healthy RBs they're going to get worn out quickly since they're going to see a ton of work given Berlin has to hide Keenum behind it's running game, my front seven is more than capable of keeping Miller+Clement contained. My pass rush featuring Kawann Short, Orakpo, Watt etc. will put a decent amount of pressure on Keenum and should be able to create a turnover or two, whether that's a strip-sack or a deflection that leads to an INT we will get turnovers. We'll rotate our DL, LB, DBs as needed to keep them fresh, we'll put 8 in the box on roughly 25% of the snaps to force Berlin to beat us through the air. We'll play situational defense and mostly play in nickel defense, we'll adjust depending on the down&distance.

TDLR; Control the LOS, Get after Keenum, Shut down their running game, Force them to beat us deep.

14 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

You have one good CB.  The others are trash. 

Yeah, Keenum went 25-39 3 TDs and 3 INTs.  Obviously want those INT numbers down next week, but he was definitely good enough to beat a subpar team like Portland.

Keeping the trash talk where it belongs. 

Brandon Carr is a solid no.1 CB I don't know what you're talking about, Godwin is a mismatch but ehh he's not gonna get a ton of targets. Rudolph should get erased since he'll be covered by Telvin and Jenkins for most of the game and T.J Watt with his 4 sacks will eat Keenum's soul.

27 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Keeping the trash talk where it belongs. 

Brandon Carr is a solid no.1 CB I don't know what you're talking about, Godwin is a mismatch but ehh he's not gonna get a ton of targets. Rudolph should get erased since he'll be covered by Telvin and Jenkins for most of the game and T.J Watt with his 4 sacks will eat Keenum's soul.

Carr was a solid #1 CB like 5 years ago.  He sucks now.

And Tyreek will still violate Trufant cause he is that good.  Rudolph will get his jump balls and red zone targets.

And Watt got that against the Browns.  Trent would crush him and Ja'wuan shut down Orakpo today.

27 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Carr was a solid #1 CB like 5 years ago.  He sucks now.

And Tyreek will still violate Trufant cause he is that good.  Rudolph will get his jump balls and red zone targets.

And Watt got that against the Browns.  Trent would crush him and Ja'wuan shut down Orakpo today.

He's done well the past 2 seasons and this week but I'll take your word for it. Sorry about Rodgers...

It will be an interesting matchup but I dont see Hill winning that one 

Watt is on James's side of the field mate, Orakpo went up against William for years he should know how to beat him.

3 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

He's done well the past 2 seasons and this week but I'll take your word for it. Sorry about Rodgers...

It will be an interesting matchup but I dont see Hill winning that one 

Watt is on James's side of the field mate, Orakpo went up against William for years he should know how to beat him.

Yeah, Rodgers getting hurt sucks.

I think Hill is getting to the point where he can win his fair share against any CB in the league.  He is a massively improved route runner.

That's fine.  James is worlds better than whoever the Browns had.  And going up against Trent doesn't mean he can beat him.

14 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Yeah, Rodgers getting hurt sucks.

I think Hill is getting to the point where he can win his fair share against any CB in the league.  He is a massively improved route runner.

That's fine.  James is worlds better than whoever the Browns had.  And going up against Trent doesn't mean he can beat him.

Hope it's just a sprain or something.

Fair enough on Hill dude is a stud but so is Trufant, James is definitely better than that UDFA rookie LT but he's far from a solid starter. He knows how to beat him after years of practice against him, I'd say that's an advantage. 

1 minute ago, SwoleXmad said:

Hope it's just a sprain or something.

Fair enough on Hill dude is a stud but so is Trufant, James is definitely better than that UDFA rookie LT but he's far from a solid starter. He knows how to beat him after years of practice against him, I'd say that's an advantage. 

I could just as easily say that after years of practice, Trent knows all of Orakpo's moves.  Especially after Orakpo spent all preseason hurt.

@SwoleXmad

I've got a question about your pass coverage game plan and was hoping you could clear it up.

You mentioned that you'll be playing a zone defense for much of the game, but then assigned corners to target specific receivers.  When you listed these specific coverages is that when you aren't in zone coverage?

Thanks.

"We'll be playing mostly zone defense with Trumant assigned to cover Tyreek hill and some occasional help over the top on whoever is covering Hill at the time, Brandon Carr will man the no.2 CB spot and will more than likely cover DeSean Jackson on most plays, Jason McCourty may be playing S IRL for the Patriots but here he'll be manning the slot CB position. Berlin will be starting the worst QB in BDL this week with Keenum, Keenum isn't terrible but he's far from ideal. Malcolm Jenkins will be tasked with covering TEs in this game"

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

@SwoleXmad

I've got a question about your pass coverage game plan and was hoping you could clear it up.

You mentioned that you'll be playing a zone defense for much of the game, but then assigned corners to target specific receivers.  When you listed these specific coverages is that when you aren't in zone coverage?

Thanks.

"We'll be playing mostly zone defense with Trumant assigned to cover Tyreek hill and some occasional help over the top on whoever is covering Hill at the time, Brandon Carr will man the no.2 CB spot and will more than likely cover DeSean Jackson on most plays, Jason McCourty may be playing S IRL for the Patriots but here he'll be manning the slot CB position. Berlin will be starting the worst QB in BDL this week with Keenum, Keenum isn't terrible but he's far from ideal. Malcolm Jenkins will be tasked with covering TEs in this game"

For a rough percentage we'll be in zone 65% of the game but we'll play some man obviously, I'll make that more clear for next time. Also yes that's who they'll cover in man coverage more often than not. 

Will edit after I see how Derek Carr plays. 

Edit at MNF Halfitime: Derek Carr looks fantastic for the most part, I'd suggest portland work out a trade for Jared Cook because their TE position on offense is a wasteland. 

I think Portland made a few mistakes such as not going 4 wide given Berlin's secondary missing Berry and lacking a legitimate no.1 CB along with giving the wrong RBs touches, but eh I get committing to the running game against a fierce Berluin pass rush.

Berlin couldn't have asked for better production from it's WRs and it's the reason I'm going to pick them, or it would be if Berlin didn't have a massive disadvantage with James going up against T.J Watt, Berlin acknowledged him but they didn't do enough to adjust for Watt and I think that's the difference in a close game, Berlins LBs are garbage and a mismatch as well.

Keenum isn't terrible but a 3 INT performance (Though 3 TDs, 300 yards isn't bad) isn't exactly great. He'd do enough to get the job done at home but on the road? Not so much.

24-28. Portland

Archived