Sign in to follow this  
Futbudds

A look back at the draft

Now that football is back and most of the rookies will be on display today I was wondering who everybody’s biggest crushes were during the draft. With the benefit of hindsight what would you guys have done differently to get the guys you liked the most? I’ll be at a random Bdubs today and could use some more things to look out for besides what is going on in Lucas oil stadium.

The early round guys I liked the most were Edmunds and Derwin James. I loved Bates too and I know we needed a free safety more but in a vacuum James checked all the boxes for me. Obviously glad we traded down for Glenn and took Price so I wouldn’t have taken either guy at 11 or wherever the pick was before the buffalo trade. Two of the mid round guys I loved were Gerard Avery and Fred Warner. I haven’t watched a second of their preseasons and I don’t know where they even are on their depth charts but I liked them way better than Jefferson. If I had crystal ball powers I would’ve taken Avery in the fourth instead of Walton and taken whichever o lineman was at the top of the board with that second pick in the third. Prob someone to fight for the right tackle spot.

Looking back, I wanyted Ragnow over the other two (but had Price as my #2, based on scheme fit off of what Pollack did in Dallas).  Getting Glenn and Price was the perfect way to go.  Throughout the second half of the college season, I honed in on Orlando Brown.  While everyone else (not on this subforum, more like Cincy Jungle) were convinced he was too sloppy, I saw a guy who could slide in at RT for the next decade.  I'm fuine with Bates, but the fact we didn't take him in the third still bothers me.  Truth be told, we could have still taken Brown and Hubbard in the third, and possible had Jefferson slip to us in the 12th spot of round four.  To that end, walton was a luxary pick we couldn't afford.  Long term, the Walton pick will look good once Gio retires (or is injured).  For now, Brown would look so much better. Especially considering that Brian Hill looked decent last year, and was right there in the battle for the 3rd and 4th RB spots.  If Jefferson pans out long term, then it works out in the end, provided they fix the line long term next draft or free agency.

Speaking of, does anyone think we make a move for a guy like Paztor after the Baltimore game?  His contract won't be fully guaranteed, and coaches would have plenty of time to get him ready.

Taking two cofrners in the fifth was necessary, as we don't know how the NDennard situation plays out long term.  And I loved Andrew Brown after the Senior Bowl, as he got a lot of looks as a 3t.  But man, Crosby was still there too.  Maybe take one CB and Crosby?  But I wasn't high on Crosby at all, but in the fifth?  How did we pass?

I had Tate a lot higher, but wasn't sure we needed to draft a WR at all.  So I liked that one.  I'd seen Woodside in person a couple of times (my GF is an OU grad who loves to gho to games to.........watch the 110...which is totally understandable, once you've seen them).  Taylor might work out long term too.

As for others I wanted, Warner was definitely on that list.  So were PJ Hall and BJ Hill.  Both went sooner than I expected.  There were others, but I'd have to go back and look at posts.

As for next year, it's really about the offensive line and LB right?  I'd be taking two OTs, at least one if not two OGs, a cover LB inc case jefferson fails to look improved, and go from there.  If we finish as badly as we are predicted by non Bengal fans, wouldn't it be nice to see Ed Oliver lining up next to Geno?  Or Bosa added to the edge group?  @I think it would be funny to add AJ Brown, especially if McCarron found whis way back.  Then we could unearth someone named AJ Black and it would be settled@.

Enjpoy the game.  I'm going, so look for the 88 jersey behind the Colts bench.

Yeah I was hoping Hill or Hall would be there in the later rounds. I hope Jefferson pans out he just seemed as much as a project as any of the o linemen that were there. 

If one of the fifth round cbs pans out I’ll be glad with those picks but this just feels like we are in store for another first round cb to me which I’m not against. But yeah I’d say need would be o line, lb, cb with d line if a stud is there. Have fun at the game I’ll be looking for you!

29 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Is this where I complain about us taking Mark Walton over Mo Hurst?

Pretty much