Week One - Bears vs Packers.

Sugashane

I think that was about as rough as loss as I have ever seen...

It's clear Nagy is still finding his feet as an HC...he got far to conservative in his play calling and forgot what had made us so successful in the early portion of the game...everything became underneath...Robinson was completely overlooked after early success and we never got Burton into the game...WR & RB screen are all good and well but it has to be leading to something deeper to keep the defence honest.

Trubisky let the occasion get to him...yes it was a culdrum of emotion when Rodgers came back but far too often he was looking to take off and let his eyes drop...he made some excellent throws and some pretty poor ones...have to keep in mind it was still only his 8th start in the NFL and first at Lambau in a new offence.

Jordan Howard was Jordan Howard...just kept getting stronger as the game went on...to not give him the ball on 3&1 to seal the game before kicking a field goal was a terrible call...pass catching looked much improved as well...he is still the engine and key to this offence IMO.

Dion Sims should be cut today...honestly $6 million and season and you can't run a route with a 2 yard distance? Not an NFL player.

Receivers did what they could but weren't really given the chance to open up the taps.

OL played pretty well until near the end but gave up some pressure when they started brining exotic blitzs...Whitehair needs to be moved to G before he costs us a game with one of those snaps.

Defensively the future is very very bright when we get Mack & Smith up to full speed...first game of the season the hurry up tired out all our guys...another few games and that won't happen anything like as badly...

Hicks & Goldman dominated...RRH made some huge plays...Bullard went missing.

Mack is an utter beast and worth every penny and the picks...once he is up to full speed look out...Floyd had a decent game...Roquan is again going to be great once he is up to speed...you can see the explosiveness and playmaking ability...Danny T & Nick were abused on crossing routes...clear to see why Fangio needed more speed inside.

Fuller had to make that INT...the TD was a push off but not enough to be called...Jackson made a poor play for the Cobb TD but was solid outwith...Amos was excellent and looks really aggressive when tackling.

This is going to take time to come together and there were some positives amongst all the hurt but to bring them out we need to move on quickly...take this as just another loss and beat the Seahawks next week.

My points align with MM90....

1) Nagy got too conservative in the 2nd half. Idk how, but he managed to both ignore the run game and pass for less than 10 yards in 3 plays far too many times in the 2nd half. The last two drives for the bears, especially the last one, were especially rough. We had 2:16 left on the clock, 2 timeouts, and the 2 minute warning; plenty of time to mix in a couple runs, throw in the middle of the field, take 5-7 yards if nothing else is open, but we only focused on throwing the ball at least 10+ yards every time. After the roughing the qb penalty, we had 2 minutes to go 30 yards with 2 timeouts to get into field goal range to win the game. it was not pretty.

2) along with point #1, we got too cute in the 2nd half. not enough JH24, who was his usual workhorse self. Oline play gets stronger when they are moving forward run blocking, not sitting back and waiting for the defense to come to them, was not thrilled with that.

3) as far as the oline goes, i thought overall it was above average. KL75 looked real good in open space, CL72 held his own, the last sack wasn't his fault; you can only block for so long. BM70 is still JAG, EK64 got bullied around, by far the worst player on the line. Finally, CW65 had some poor snaps. started the game fine, but the entire 4th quarter they were all coming in high, ruining the timing of the play, which DEFINITELY disrupted the rhythm. on one snap MT10 just had to do everything he could to maintain possession, that can not happen. Really think the coaching staff needs to move him to LG and plug in JD68 at center.

4) Sims was terrible. had one decent block that i saw, but it the passing game... SHEEESH. dropepd a first down that hit him in the chest. could have gotten a first down by running towards the sticks, instead cuts back inside and gets dropped short of the line (i believe this was the 4th and 4 we went for early), AND SOMEHOW RUNS A ROUTE SHORT OF THE LINE ON A 3RD AND 1. just an awful game.

5) yes, KF23 dropped the game sealing INT. yes, it was a bad look. BUT overall it was not a bad game for him. you can bring up his contract all you want, but he was solid in coverage and in run support. he did give up a touchdown, but there was a little bit of a push off (not enough for a penalty) and it was a PERFECT throw and catch. (sidenote: geronimo, my fellow illini, you killed me)

6) prince didn't look great. not much else to be said there.

7) man coverage on cobb's TD, once he got past his man there was no one to stop him. I was actually ok with him scoring once he got past our 40 yard line, it just gave us more time to get into FG range (which we blew anyways)

8) KM52. STUD. i lost my voice yelling in the first quarter

9) AH96 was a man among boys in the first quarter, but seemed to disappear the rest of the game. i know he went into the medical tent at one point, curious about what's going on there. 

10) pretty clear we need RS58 on the field. NK44 is fine, but 58 is a game changer, much better in the passing game, and has near elite closing speed.

After letting it sit overnight, there were plenty of positives and negatives.

Nagy - his scripted plays were great. He attacked all over the field, used lead blockers well, took advantage of Tru's athleticism and attacked at various levels to keep the defense from sitting down. What happened after halftime is a joke though. We became scared and ran Trestman's bubble offense. We have Robinson who owns the intermediate, Gabriel is supposed to be a deep threat, Cohen should have been able to get 1 on 1 with a LB or S at some point, etc and we became ultra conservative. I hated it. Gabriel made a 31 yard catch. His other 4 catches totaled him -6 yards. Trubisky threw it 35 times, but 11 of those were behind the LOS. Why ever have 1/3 of your passes be that far back??? Tru was doing great passing to the right, he was 12/15 to the right. Why not rollout more there to take advantage of his flow to that side? Not going for the win on 4th and 1 was a cowardly call, I was chanting for Tru to do a QB sneak. Nagy had the balls to do that in a preseason game but not in Green Bay's home turf? Get Tru under center, spread the WRs out to keep the defense honest, and go opposite of the NT. Was open all night. Or Howard was killing them, let him have it. Also Cohen had 5 rushes, that can't continue.

Grade - D+

Fangio - He had a lot of talent and still was conservative. Got a ton of pressure early but once the OL regrouped and started doubling Mack and/or Hicks he did nothing to assist the defense. Basically went to a prevent defense and was picked apart by Rodgers, left Kwiatkoski in coverage too damn much, etc. He was 100% outcoached by Pettine when they are matched up. I know he wants to rush 4, but if you can't try to get a few guys in one on one situations schematically then at least give a few blitzes. Could have had the nickel CB, Kwiatkoski, Fuller, Amos, someone blitz from the outside.

Grade - F

Trubisky - Did what he was asked to do for the most part. Defense didn't respect the deep ball the 2nd half due to poor playcalling, so they were able to squat on routes and cause hell for him. He extended plays really well, finding alleys to get outside the pocket and making 7 runs for solid gains. Rand for a TD as well. Some of the throws were flashes that showed why he was the 2nd overall pick. He showed he had the guts to throw the 50/50 ball early, but once the playcalling got conservative, his passes did too. He fell apart at the end it seemed.

Grade - C

Howard/Cohen - They played well. Howard caught all his passes, ran like a tank, and made some plays purely out of crazy vision. I loved what Howard brought tonight. Cohen had limited opportunities but made the most of it. They each averaged at least 5 YPC, Nagy somehow got conservative while not running the ball much. Cohen was 3/4 on his opportunities. So they totaled over 100 yards rushing and 8 of 9 targets were caught.

Grade - A

WRs- Came out hot but playcalling I feel doomed them. Robinson made some big catches and Miller made a clutch catch. Gabriel losing 6 yards on 4 passes combined is atrocious. Not on him as he was running the called routes but how the hell does that happen? He was supposed to be used like Hill in KC, but wasn't used remotely like him. They seemed to block on the outside pretty well for Howard/Cohen/Tru in the run game. Not a lot of explosion though.

Grade - B-

Burton/Sims - 1 for 6 completion totals to Burton (I think one was a throw away, but still poor even if it was 1/5). Sims was 2 of 3 and blew a 1st down opportunity when it counted by running at the defender rather than to the outside. I really though Burton was going to be a matchup issue for them, but he seemed to be put out as a WR more than controlling the middle. I have called for Sims to be cut repeatedly last season and this offseason. I continue my bellyaching about him being useless but having a role.

Grade - F

OL - Did well opening holes in the run game for the most part. No one we had really moved Clark, he owned his spot and we had to just get away from him in the run game. Leno did well until the last play when he gave up the sack. Looked like he missed his punch and Perry owned him when he got inside Leno's body. Long looked closer to what he did when he was peaked but still has some serious rust. Can't blame him for that, but not curving a grade when they had some bad plays. Massie seemed to handle Matthews pretty well. Now this is 2018 Matthews too, not 2012 Matthews so take that with a grain of salt. Whitehair did fairly well in run and pas protection but had another damn high snap and penalty for being an illegal man downfield. Kush was ok, he held his own but they didn't seem to rely on him pulling or anything. Unit seemed to have a hard time communicating on some of the blitzes and were out of position for what Pettine threw at them.

Grade - B-

Mack/Hicks/Goldman - I grouped them on the DL because they were stellar. Goldman was our version of Clark, he was not getting much pressure in the pass game but he isn't expected to. He owned 2 gaps and they quit running near him. Hicks was a monster like usual. Mack had an electrifying game. Still upset at Mack not rushing on the last TD play but that might have been scheme.

Grade - A

RRH - He had the huge sack early and looked good at times in the run game. Disappeared late and got washed out a few run plays.

Grade - B

LBs- DT had an off day in coverage, Kwiatkoski confirmed he is a 2 down player. I still would have liked to see Nick on a few blitzes but don't remember seeing him blitz once. Smith flashed early and looked great when clean. Floyd didn't make an impact on the stat sheet really but had several plays where he took on the lead blocker to let someone else clean up. That isn't flashy but that is assignment football, I am happy he had the balls to stick his head in there. Lynch was terrible.

Grade - C

DBs - Amukamara had a poor game, Fuller dropped a game sealing INT and was burned for a 39 yard TD. Jackson got burned for a game winning 75 yard TD. Callahan made a few plays/tackles that showed nice aggessiveness, Amos looked like the best DB by a mile. This is supposed to be a strength of the team.

Grade - C- (held up by Amo's game)

Parkey/O'Donnell - Both did what they were asked to do, and did great. 3 for 3 on FGs and O'Donnell was allowed to kick deep for a change, resulting in a 50 yard average.

Grade - A

7 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

These 2 outside CBs are kind of like the worst pair in the NFL low key....they had a stat that Fuller got 2 picks and dropped 6 last year.....neither guy can catch....like at all....not even joking I'm kind of over this season already haha....i live in Austin now so it's hard to watch these games for me....I'm not going to a bar every week for 16 weeks to watch this BS.....heartbreaking loss....bears fan for life.....but like....i can't deal with garbage

I get it, we're all ticked off after last night and are looking for scapegoats but I really don't think Fuller and Prince are anywhere close to being the worst starting pair of CBs in the NFL.  It could be a lot worse man. 

Fuller is a guy who the Packers offered 4 years and $56 million dollars to which the Bears could have easily declined to match.  Amukamara is also a former 1st round pick, and while he's getting older he can still ball.  I'll chalk last night's game to rust.  We can't let one bad game against one of the GOATs change the perception here.

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Fuller is a guy who the Packers offered 4 years and $56 million dollars to which the Bears could have easily declined to match.  Amukamara is also a former 1st round pick, and while he's getting older he can still ball.  I'll chalk last night's game to rust.  We can't let one bad game against one of the GOATs change the perception here.

Counterpoint:   WE'RE DOOMED AND ALL IS LOST TAKE UP GOLF

After sleeping on it, and by sleeping on it I mean barely sleeping. I think it's pretty sad for a 34 year old to be this affected by a game. I guess this is probably how falcons fans felt after the Superbowl loss. 

Rodgers played gritty and great at the end I won't take that away from him, but we really took the foot off the gas and let them back in the game. I want everyone here to think about that for a second. We were up 20-0 at one point and Rodgers in the first half looked terrible against our D with a out of football shape Mack and Roquan not playing.

I think we should be at least a bit more hopeful that by the middle of this season this team will really start showing some promise we've been waiting for. Nobody here would bet that we would be dominating the Packers and yet we did. Losing suck so badly, especially in that fashion but this team was never ready this year to make a run. I think this is an 8-8 team this year that is going to the playoffs next. 

31 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I get it, we're all ticked off after last night and are looking for scapegoats but I really don't think Fuller and Prince are anywhere close to being the worst starting pair of CBs in the NFL.  It could be a lot worse man. 

Wouldn't we have got 2 1sts from GB?

10 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

After sleeping on it, and by sleeping on it I mean barely sleeping. I think it's pretty sad for a 34 year old to be this affected by a game. I guess this is probably how falcons fans felt after the Superbowl loss. 

Rodgers played gritty and great at the end I won't take that away from him, but we really took the foot off the gas and let them back in the game. I want everyone here to think about that for a second. We were up 20-0 at one point and Rodgers in the first half looked terrible against our D with a out of football shape Mack and Roquan not playing.

I think we should be at least a bit more hopeful that by the middle of this season this team will really start showing some promise we've been waiting for. Nobody here would bet that we would be dominating the Packers and yet we did. Losing suck so badly, especially in that fashion but this team was never ready this year to make a run. I think this is an 8-8 team this year that is going to the playoffs next. 

i dont really feel you guys really took the foot off the gas honestly... its just that divisional routes dont happen often (common opponents even with new coaches/wrinkles still often neutralizes things to make games closer then they probably should be at times)... adjustments were certainly made, but the bears had some opportunities late & just couldnt seem to take advantage of them.

i would put more blame on Mitch just growing & learning as a young QB still then anything the coaching did (or didnt do)... but i think there are some very serious building blocks for the bears right now & the team is trending upwards quickly. the Mack trade & the talent already on the team is certainly young enough to build around for years to come. imo, the bears-packers rivalry is taking proper form again & thats something that hasnt been the case for a while

4 minutes ago, driftwood said:

i dont really feel you guys really took the foot off the gas honestly... its just that divisional routes dont happen often (common opponents even with new coaches/wrinkles still often neutralizes things to make games closer then they probably should be at times)... adjustments were certainly made, but the bears had some opportunities late & just couldnt seem to take advantage of them.

i would put more blame on Mitch just growing & learning as a young QB still then anything the coaching did (or didnt do)... but i think there are some very serious building blocks for the bears right now & the team is trending upwards quickly. the Mack trade & the talent already on the team is certainly young enough to build around for years to come. imo, the bears-packers rivalry is taking proper form again & thats something that hasnt been the case for a while

Agree with a lot of what you said.  Hats off to GB and especially Rodgers for toughing it out and coming back to win but I feel that our Bears let this game slip away more than Rodgers actually being the difference.

Outside of the beautiful TD throw to Allison, I feel like every other TD GB scored was due to sloppy play that could have easily been prevented.  Again, not taking away anything from what GB did but it's hard not to feel like we handed this W to you guys.  It's a shame because a win last night could have really started to change the narrative of Rodgers totally owning this Bears franchise.

25 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I said the same thing to co-workers today. Today sucks, but imagine if this happened to our team in the Super Bowl.

6 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

The Bears cannot beat the Packers with Aaron Rodgers. He fixes all of their problems.

So 0% chance of winning the division for like six more years.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm, but I actually believe that. This is why I never pick the Bears to beat GB. This is probably what it felt like to be a Utah fan as Jordan shoved it down their throats for years.

9 minutes ago, driftwood said:

I keep hearing about this, also. I'm not sure if Nagy got conservative. Maybe the plays were similar but Trubisky wasn't poised enough. If anything I wish he had been more conservative. Howard was averaging 5.4 ypc as of the 4th quarter yet they got pass happy.

44 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Counterpoint:   WE'RE DOOMED AND ALL IS LOST TAKE UP GOLF

Besides Parkey, Howard, Hicks, RRH and Mack (3/5 who we expected to perform, I may add), who was good last night? Who was a pleasant surprise? That's my issue. Sure, they lost by 1, but it's not like I have any hope based on a bunch of average performances last night.

Archived