Week One - Bears vs Packers.

Sugashane

7 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm, but I actually believe that. This is why I never pick the Bears to beat GB. This is probably what it felt like to be a Utah fan as Jordan shoved it down their throats for years.

No it’s not sarcasm. Unless Rodgers has an unplayable injury, he’ll just always win. 

Offense

-The true disappointment in this game is for 1/2 you thought the hype/confidence/hope/excitement were justified, only to have it turn into your standard Bears-Packers game and watching Rodgers rip your heart out.

-The offense was sloppy, disjointed, conservative, and could not get a rhythm going at all. Some of this was to be expected, it was never going to be a smooth operation in week 1, but I think after Nagy's "we have had 2000 reps in camp" press conference it needed to look a little bit better than it did. 

-Every snap was coming with 2-3 seconds left on the play clock. Every snap was also high and into Trubisky's line of vision.

-The play calling in the 3rd quarter was awesome, if you were still playing Deshone Kizer with a 20 point lead.

-The play calling in the 3rd quarter was horrendous and conservative. Matt Nagy said that they were going to be aggressive throughout the game. I do not call running endless screen passes aggressive. The Bears barely went downfield, they barely attacked the middle of the field and were pathetically scared.

-The Swaggy Nagy nickname lasted less than a game. He looked scared for most of the 2nd half when Rodgers came out of the tunnel and then proceeded to lose how we have seen countless Bears coaches lose.

-Trubisky was bad. I could come up with some half *** attempt to sugar coat it, but he was not good. He had Allen Robinson for a TD on the fade and missed the throw. He had Cohen on the wheel route against a 270lbs OLB and didn't throw the ball. In the 2 minute drill he looked like he was on fire and was searching for somewhere to put himself out. There were some nice plays, but this was a shockingly inconsistent performance and not encouraging after an offseason of hype.

-Jordan Howard continues to be awesome.

-Tarik Cohen is a really dangerous player. Perhaps, we could let him try and make plays more than 3 yards down the field. 

-Trey Burton had a big showing in his first game as a Bear.... Totally invisible against bum ILBs from the Packers. 1 catch for 15 yards and nothing after the 1st quarter is hardly the feature role that I was expecting for him.

-I said that Dion Sims was useless in the offseason and he was exceptionally useless last night. Trubisky makes  dime throw against pressure that goes right over the coverage and hits Sims in the chest. He has what appears to be an easy 1st down and then decides to power walk towards a defender and get tackled short. Then he runs a .5 yard route on 3rd and 1 and gets his 300lbs *** tackled short of the line. Just a total bum performance from a total waste of 6 million dollars of cap space.

-Allen Robinson looked good in the 1st half, but ran out of gas. That was to be expected coming off an ACL and a limited camp. I have high hopes for Robinson, he ran some filthy routes for a 6'3" WR last night.

-Taylor Gabriel averaged 5 YPC and I did not see him go deep once. What is the point of having a 4.2 [40] WR that you talked about adding speed and not even sending him deep and threatening the defense?

-Kevin "The Decoy" White

-I had no specific issues with how the OL blocked. Massie was his average self. Kush had some bad reps, but also some great run blocks on the Howard backside cuts.

-Cody Whitehair's snaps were an issue all game and were almost a disaster again. All game they were high and into Trubisky's vision, which stops him from looking downfield for a second. I am not sure why they continue to force this issue

Defense

-Nick Kwiatowski was awful. The Packers isolated him and picked on him over and over again. Mercifully, Fangio eventually pulled him off of the field. Horrendous performance in the run game as well.

-Roquan Smith needs to just play. The Bears lack of speed on the 2nd level was exposed and they need someone who can close like Smith. Him getting a sack in his 1st play was awesome, unfortunately with an injured Rodgers Fangio left his blitz package in the bathroom. I guess he thought they needed more guys in coverage to watch Randall Cobb run by them.

-The DL was dominant most of the game. They stuffed the run well, Goldman and Hicks really dominated the run game specifically. Hicks and RRH were consistent factors in the passing game drawing holds and getting sacks.

-RRH needs to play more than Jonathan Bullard. Bullard does nothing, RRH makes plays and is a pass rush factor. It is time for the Bears to do what their eyes are telling them to do and bench Bullard and possibly make him inactive and bring Nichols into the rotation.

-Hicks is awesome.

-Leonard Floyd is not very good with only one hand. He had a couple of decent rushes, but he really struggled to disengage, which makes sense with only one hand.

-Aaron Lynch had 1 nice rush. That was it for the entire game.

-Kyle Fuller has to make the interception. He is making huge money and that was a game changing play. I thought his coverage throughout the game was good. The TD throw was one of the 10 best throws I have ever seen and I cannot  fault him for that.

-I hope Prince was hurt on the Adams TD drive, because it was one of the worst series for a CB I can ever remember seeing.

-Adrian Amos had some nice tackles and Jimmy Graham was quiet so I am assuming he had a decent game.

-Eddie Jackson cannot blow that Randall Cobb coverage as badly as he did.

-I would like to thank John Gruden. No matter the outcome of the game, Khalil Mack is a legitimate star player, who made star player plays. He was consistently getting pressure and creating for other people on the defense. The Roquan Smith and RRH sacks were a result of great pressure from Mack.

31 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Besides Parkey, Howard, Hicks, RRH and Mack (3/5 who we expected to perform, I may add), who was good last night? Who was a pleasant surprise? That's my issue. Sure, they lost by 1, but it's not like I have any hope based on a bunch of average performances last night.

your OL held up very well against what I would consider the best front 7/DL green bay has ever had under the McCarthy era... we are very deep @ DL & you guys had better success running & keeping Mitch relatively cleaner then I thought heading in

Tough loss last night Bears fans.  Sorry it ended the way it did.  I do think there is a LOT of positive that you can take from that game though. 

- Mack proved in one half of football that you got the absolute steal of the offseason.  As I feared, this guy is going to terrorize the NFC North for years.

- Contrary to some opinions, I thought Trubisky looked pretty darn good.  He made some very nice throws and, IMO, showed that he is definitely a capable NFL QB.  The offense didn't run like a well-oiled machine for the entire game, but don't forget that this was Week One.  Even Rodgers had his issues last night too.  Nagy will get things ironed out and your offense will look better as the season wears on. 

- IMO, the Packers (and the Vikings) have been put on notice.  This is not the Chicago Bears of the last 5 years.  This is an up and coming team that is MORE than capable of putting them in a big hole if they don't play their very best.  Lay an egg again like the Packers did in the first half and next time the Bears will make them pay.  Whether their fans want to admit it or not, they were extremely depressed as the first half wore on.  They know their team was incredibly lucky to get out of that game with a W.   Next time they have to take their act to the "not-quite-so-friendly" confines of Soldier Field.  I'm sure they aren't looking forward to that.

- As far as the second half collapse, don't let it get you down.  You have a young team and they all have to go through a learning process with some tough losses like that.  It's a shame this one had to come against the hated Packers, but the Bears will learn how to put teams away in situations like that as they get more experience.

Finally, just remember that this is was a tough situation with a lot of obstacles for your Bears.  To name just a few, it was Week 1 of the regular season.  Every team is going to have a few issues to work out in the next couple of weeks.  On top of that, you were playing your most hated division rival, on the road, in front of their crowd, in a night game, on national television.  That is a very high-pressure situation.  With all of this piled on top of everything, it's not surprising that a young team with a new coaching staff, a second-year quarterback, with newly acquired offensive weapons, and a star defensive player who has only been with the team for a week might have had a letdown.  With this in mind, there are a TON of things you can take away from that game that would make me extremely optimistic if I were a Bears fan.  As you work out the kinks that you saw tonight, this will emerge as a VERY dangerous team.  As a Vikings fan, I can say that I am not looking forward at all to playing 'da Bears later in the season - especially in Chicago.

Hold your heads high Bears fans.  You just saw a glimpse of a lot of the good things your team is going to give you over the next several years.  Green Bay slipped out of your vice this time.  Next time they won't be so lucky.

38 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

No it’s not sarcasm. Unless Rodgers has an unplayable injury, he’ll just always win. 

I totally disagree.  Spot the Vikings 20 points like that and there is no way Rodgers comes back.  The thing to remember is that the Bears are quickly putting together a defense that is going to be just as good as the one in Minnesota.  Rodgers better enjoy this one, because wins like that will be few and far between in the future when he plays the Bears.  

48 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm, but I actually believe that. This is why I never pick the Bears to beat GB. This is probably what it felt like to be a Utah fan as Jordan shoved it down their throats for years.

I keep hearing about this, also. I'm not sure if Nagy got conservative. Maybe the plays were similar but Trubisky wasn't poised enough. If anything I wish he had been more conservative. Howard was averaging 5.4 ypc as of the 4th quarter yet they got pass happy.

Besides Parkey, Howard, Hicks, RRH and Mack (3/5 who we expected to perform, I may add), who was good last night? Who was a pleasant surprise? That's my issue. Sure, they lost by 1, but it's not like I have any hope based on a bunch of average performances last night.

Disagree, the tackling throughout was very good. Eddie Jackson bluntly said it in his post game "we got lazy, we didn't bring any energy in the second half." This is a tough lesson for them, when was the last time this team had to deal with being up 17 points in a game? They lost their focus and edge. I think this team has a lot of good pieces that just failed yesterday. MNF will be a good test on how hunger the team is to win and if they have a winning culture. 

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

As usual @Uncle Buck is speaking a whole lot of sense.

Yep it's true, we're all just too shell-shocked to absorb it. The reality is nobody here said we would beat GB and nobody here said we would be up by 17 points. Everyone here is more or less mad we couldn't close the game, a game nobody thought we would be in. 

It's going to be a long season, lets see how it unfolds for these Bears. This team can absolutely win 8 games this year--> that is progress!

Personnel situations alone will make the Bears better next week,

-Roquan will play more than 8 snaps
-Mack will be in better game shape
-Floyd will be one week closer to the cast coming off
-RRH should take Bullard's reps
-Dion Sims should be removed from the game plan

Those 5 personnel situations alone will improve the team.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Personnel situations alone will make the Bears better next week,

-Roquan will play more than 8 snaps
-Mack will be in better game shape
-Floyd will be one week closer to the cast coming off
-RRH should take Bullard's reps
-Dion Sims should be removed from the game plan

Those 5 personnel situations alone will improve the team.

I think the offense will also get better next week. This will be a home game against a team that is good but nothing special. 

13 minutes ago, G08 said:

@Uncle Buck @driftwood

Why are you guys being so nice to us xD

because i'm past the point of being bitter to rival fans... dont get me wrong, i'm wearing a Packers T at work today (& half my office are bears fans) & i was really hoping Travethan broke his back earlier in the game (for obvious reasons, no i dont regret typing that)... but im also not blinded by my homerism. The bears arent going to be an easy W anytime soon... & they have potential to be a real problem in the near future. & as much as i want my team to win via blowout every game, there is a part of me that can appreciate a good rivalry (its good for the teams involved & the sport as well).

I just wish the Bears would stop fighting themselves when it comes to personnel decision. Put the best team on the field personnel wise and stop playing guys who are not better than other guys.

-Bullard does nothing, yet he plays as many snaps as RRH who has multiple big plays.

-I do not care where Roquan is at in his development, Nick K was getting torched all game long, get him on the sideline and play the better player.

-Whitehair snapping the ball is an issue, solve it and move him to LG.

-Dion Sims is bad at football and was a garbage signing, get him off the field and off the team.

Archived