Around The League

Bobby816

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

In theory you’re not wrong. But where are you spending 109mill then? There’s no big FAs to spend on. The big name guys won’t hit FA at edge so you’re looking at having to pay a guy like Fowler Jr, Ansah, Ray, etc around 8-10mill annually. Resigning our own won’t cost more than around 40mill (and that’s a very high figure). So we’d still have after adding an edge and resigning our own 60mill or more in cap space. Who else deserves that money? Sign a couple OL? That’s still only putting a dent into our cap space. Bell gives us a difference maker, a huge weapon to make Darnold a franchise QB, and identity on offense. And a breathe of fresh air. It would make me beyond happy to see us change a ton next year. New uni, HC, OC, and new offensive players!!!

We have to keep in mind that new big name FA's are added to the list every year. So we have to wait and see who's out there. I wouldn't hate signing Bell, but I would be worried for the numbers he wants. I think it's going to happen if there aren't any other big names out there because Macc's job is on the line. Even if he gets to pick the next coach, he still have to bring in some exciting names this year. 

If the numbers are good, of course, give me Bell, Barr/Fowler, someone to improve the oline, and a run stuffing NT and I'll be fine. Then we can draft whoever we need. Throw that on top of a new coach and uniforms, things will be very exciting. I'm currently rooting against Baltimore & Michigan U so there could be a chance we could take their coach. 

I am very against signing RBs, but if we dont sign Bell, it is likely going to be another losing season based on the FA class and this being a heavily dominated defensive draft. We have no choice but to land him just to have an identity at the very least. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

I am very against signing RBs, but if we dont sign Bell, it is likely going to be another losing season based on the FA class and this being a heavily dominated defensive draft. We have no choice but to land him just to have an identity at the very least. 

Exactly. There’s just no where to spend 109mill. And signing guys like McCown for 10mill should get Macc fired as the paper is signed.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Exactly. There’s just no where to spend 109mill. And signing guys like McCown for 10mill should get Macc fired as the paper is signed.

Might be the only reason why leonard williams gets resigned for a decent amount. Hes a good but not great player and we lack even those. Really hope we fire Macc too but I doubt it.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree with both you and ekillo8. The way things stand now I don't think we have a choice. 

3 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Might be the only reason why leonard williams gets resigned for a decent amount. Hes a good but not great player and we lack even those. Really hope we fire Macc too but I doubt it.

I agree. I think Leo is highly overrated. We switch to a 4-3 he is probably more useful... but hardly a top 10 player at his position.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree. I think Leo is highly overrated. We switch to a 4-3 he is probably more useful... but hardly a top 10 player at his position.

I have been saying that for a long time, about Leo being overrated. He is a bull rusher, he just doesn't have the quick moves to be a pass rusher. But he is a good run stopper. My feeling he should be a D tackle, not a defensive end.

I'm going to defend @Bobby816 on this one.  We 100% need Bell.  We still have stupid cap space after signing him and that wouldn't in the slightest hinder us from signing a pass rusher to $20M+ and more.  If we had to choose RB over other positions then the decision becomes tougher but the fact is signing him has no consequences to signing other players it's a no brainer.   

13 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I'm going to defend @Bobby816 on this one.  We 100% need Bell.  We still have stupid cap space after signing him and that wouldn't in the slightest hinder us from signing a pass rusher to $20M+ and more.  If we had to choose RB over other positions then the decision becomes tougher but the fact is signing him has no consequences to signing other players it's a no brainer.   

Exactly. Resigning our own and filling out the roster will cost around 40mill. Still leaving us with roughly 70mill to work with. An edge will only cost a huge amount is we land a guy like Clowney, Lawrence or Barr (We're lucky if 1 of them even hits FA). Meaning the next group of edge guys will cost 10mill not 15-20mill. So after an edge and resigns we will still have 60mill for other FAs and the draft (around 6mill). Leaving us 55 mill or so to spend. Bell is a fraction of that money. This is all without us even cutting some dead cap space as well.

We should be trying to mimic the Rams as much as possible. Bell is our Gurley. That’s a start. Lol. Still need 3 OL and a WR. 

It’s hard to judge how good the Rams skill players are because I think a lot of their success has to do with coaching as well as the fact that they don’t have any weaknesses and defensive have to account for everyone.

How does a receiving group of Tyrell Williams, Robby Anderson, Quincy Enunwa and Herndon compare to Woods, Cooks, Kupp and Everett? 

How does an OLine of Jonah Williams, Saffold (FA), Paradis (FA), Winters and Shell compare to this year’s Rams OLine? 

I think even if we get a top offensive coach, sign guys like Bell, Williams WR, Saffold OG, Paradis or draft a C and draft a top LT like Jonah Williams we are still behind their talent mostly because of Cooks. But it feels like we would be closer.

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

We should be trying to mimic the Rams as much as possible. Bell is our Gurley. That’s a start. Lol. Still need 3 OL and a WR. 

It’s hard to judge how good the Rams skill players are because I think a lot of their success has to do with coaching as well as the fact that they don’t have any weaknesses and defensive have to account for everyone.

How does a receiving group of Tyrell Williams, Robby Anderson, Quincy Enunwa and Herndon compare to Woods, Cooks, Kupp and Everett? 

How does an OLine of Jonah Williams, Saffold (FA), Paradis (FA), Winters and Shell compare to this year’s Rams OLine? 

I think even if we get a top offensive coach, sign guys like Bell, Williams WR, Saffold OG, Paradis or draft a C and draft a top LT like Jonah Williams we are still behind their talent mostly because of Cooks. But it feels like we would be closer.

A RB like Bell is 100% needed to mimic the Rams. Crowell, McGuire or even Coleman and McGuire aren't even close. Part of what makes Goff and that passing attack look so good is that teams cant drop everyone in coverage bc of the huge threat of Gurley. That in itself opens up lanes for Goff. Think of our SB runs in the late 00's... we looked better bc of a good OL and a good run game. Teams had to stop our run which made our passing game better. Balance. A team pretty much doesn't even have to game plan for us these days on offense, bc we have not 1 weapon they have to game plan for. This is why adding a guy like Bell is huge.

Cooks is better than anyone we have. Woods and Kupp are right there with Robby and Q... I'd give the edge to Woods and Kupp for sure though. But not by a huge margin. I don't think this is the off season for us to add that big WR. Just not set up that way from a FA and draft standpoint. There's always a trade that can happen. But I don't foresee that.

As for the OL. I'm really a fan of using that top 5 pick on Williams. Franchise LT. Then I like using 1 of our 3rds on a C. These days you can get the best C in the draft around that range (for sure top 3 generally). hat gives us talent and youth at 2 spots. If we have that game plan... then only a LG is needed in FA. There's so talented LGs out there for us to target. I'd even think of making a trade there.

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I don't think our skill position players are that bad.  I do think a ton of failure as to do with scheme, OL issues and just rookie QB growing pains.  Problem is it's just not deep enough.  Once Anderson and Q went down we were dead in the water.  Herndon looks great but rookie TE's just don't factor in right away, they have a steep learning curve.  I do think one solid WR addition and Bell is plenty good enough if Darnold steps up his play and the OL is majorly upgraded.

Its clear a feature back is back in todays game. And even if not a feature back a hugely talented one. Not saying we cant get one in mid rounds bc that's false. But we have an awful track record in finding skill talent in the mid rounds. So I have no reason to think we can find a guy. This is why I want Bell.

Here's the list of the best teams in the NFL this year and who their RB is.

1. Rams: Gurley: arguably the best RB in the league (top 10 pick).

2. Saints: Kamara and Ingram: best RB duo in the league. Both could feature on teams and be stars. (3rd and 1st Rounders).

3. Chiefs: Hunt: star RB. (3rd Rounder)

4. Pats: They just invested a 1st in Michel. They have even seen the trend.

This is just naming a few.

Having 1 RB who can do it all gives you more ways to hide plays and schemes, opening up the field. Also, gone are the days of using a power back to chip away at the dline and then switch up to speed for the big play. It's a pass first league, so you weaken the dline by spreading them out, not by wearing them down.

Archived