Around The League

Bobby816

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

We are widely considered a good defense around the NFL for some reason (as fans we know better but that also could be because of our poor offense though).

Playing with Mitch Trubisky wasn;'t some big draw and Nagy wasn't some established HC either.  They had some hope to turn it around and so should the Jets.  The hype around Darnold is real and if we can finally get Q and Robby healthy and finish strong down the stretch playing with Sam should/could become a draw for FA's.

Plus we can pay the most.  We should be a realistic destination for FA's.  Doesn't mean we'll get everyone we want but we also aren't the Giants or Raiders going into a full rebuild.  We should be able to pitch a improving Darnold and that we are pushing towards the playoffs as a pitch to guys.

I agree that Darnold makes us more desirable, but I think having a new HC will seal the deal. With Bowles, we already know what we have in most ways. He can't create something out of nothing and largely relies on top quality talent to barely make the playoffs. Someone new will at least bring hope, kinda like an unscratched lottery ticket. Bowles is already a loser, but man this next ticket might be the jackpot.

15 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I agree that Darnold makes us more desirable, but I think having a new HC will seal the deal. With Bowles, we already know what we have in most ways. He can't create something out of nothing and largely relies on top quality talent to barely make the playoffs. Someone new will at least bring hope, kinda like an unscratched lottery ticket. Bowles is already a loser, but man this next ticket might be the jackpot.

Agree but let me ask you this.  Would you rather choose option A of option B.

A: We fire Bowles and Mac hires a new HC.  The new HC and Mac together will likely get 3 years at minimum together.

or

B: Quietly give Bowles and Mac 2019 to make the playoffs and if they don't clean house 100% and start fresh with a new GM who can hire his own HC.

2 hours ago, Dr.O said:

It’s not like basketball, Money talks more so than anything else in a sport that most good players have a about and 8 year or so career before they fall off.

Then why have players chose less money and not us when we’ve offered more money? What you’re saying sounds good in theory, but ultimately isn’t true. Jets can offer Fowler 14mill per and the Chargers (just an example) can offer 12mill per and he choose them. It happens every single offseason with us for multiple players.

10 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Agree but let me ask you this.  Would you rather choose option A of option B.

A: We fire Bowles and Mac hires a new HC.  The new HC and Mac together will likely get 3 years at minimum together.

or

B: Quietly give Bowles and Mac 2019 to make the playoffs and if they don't clean house 100% and start fresh with a new GM who can hire his own HC.

Honestly rather have A. I'm not crazy about Macc but he never got the chance to choose a HC. A new HC can change how he drafts drastically and possibly put the talent we have no to better work.

Just now, NJerseypaint said:

Honestly rather have A. I'm not crazy about Macc but he never got the chance to choose a HC. A new HC can change how he drafts drastically and possibly put the talent we have no to better work.

I'm not really sure which way I prefer honestly.  I assume it really depends on how Bowles finishes the season.  If he just craps the bed and we end up 5-11 then he should be canned but if we play well down the stretch and win 7 games then maybe he's earned another season.

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

I'm not really sure which way I prefer honestly.  I assume it really depends on how Bowles finishes the season.  If he just craps the bed and we end up 5-11 then he should be canned but if we play well down the stretch and win 7 games then maybe he's earned another season.

That's not enough for me. He's gotta either make the playoffs or beat the Pats twice. Otherwise, it's just prolonging the inevitable.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Then why have players chose less money and not us when we’ve offered more money? What you’re saying sounds good in theory, but ultimately isn’t true. Jets can offer Fowler 14mill per and the Chargers (just an example) can offer 12mill per and he choose them. It happens every single offseason with us for multiple players.

There has been one reported instance of that (Cousins) who after making life changing money in WAS had that luxury to take slightly less to play for a winner.  Let's not turn that into this false narrative that we can't get any FA's ever.

Every single offseason?  Now your just making stuff up.  The last few years I remember Jamie Collins and Oliver Vernon as two guys we were bidding on and lost out on.  Both times it was because we didn't offer as much as the other team.  And A-Rob wanted to play near his home town with a team on the rise not a team with a 41 year old Josh McCown who can't stay healthy coming off a 5 win season.  The situations are completely different.  Either way I don't see anywhere we offered more and he turned us down.

5 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

That's not enough for me. He's gotta either make the playoffs or beat the Pats twice. Otherwise, it's just prolonging the inevitable.

To be fair no coach was making the playoffs with this team so there has to be some perspective.  If he takes this team to 7 wins that is a pretty decent job. 

I assume we will be 5-11 though and he'll get canned if I had to guess so you're probably right.

19 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

There has been one reported instance of that (Cousins) who after making life changing money in WAS had that luxury to take slightly less to play for a winner.  Let's not turn that into this false narrative that we can't get any FA's ever.

Every single offseason?  Now your just making stuff up.  The last few years I remember Jamie Collins and Oliver Vernon as two guys we were bidding on and lost out on.  Both times it was because we didn't offer as much as the other team.  And A-Rob wanted to play near his home town with a team on the rise not a team with a 41 year old Josh McCown who can't stay healthy coming off a 5 win season.  The situations are completely different.  Either way I don't see anywhere we offered more and he turned us down.

I read that differently. I saw it as the guys you mentioned (and some others) didn’t choose us, WHEN WE HAD A BETTER OFFER than what they took.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Who other than Cousins did we outbid anyone for when in his documentary seemed like he made up his mind to go to Minny and use us to bump up there offer

32 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Who other than Cousins did we outbid anyone for when in his documentary seemed like he made up his mind to go to Minny and use us to bump up there offer

Some names off the top of my head are... Cousins, AR15, Collins, Vernon, Osemele and I think I’m missing others.

7 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Funchess actually could hit FA but you are going to pay him like a #1 to get him.  A trio of Funchess, Anderson and Q is plenty good especially if Herndon continues to progress.

Tyrell Williams would be a really solid fall back plan though.  He has great size and can do a bit of everything.  I think landing one of those two is high on Mac's list while also keeping Robby and Q.

I would 100% open up the check book for Spain and Barr if they both hit FA.

My gut says both Mac and Bowles get one more year and if we don't make the playoffs in 2019 both get canned.  I'd rather give Bowles and Mac one more year together then higher a new coach and tie him to Mac for another 3-4 years.  If you just higher a coach I think that buys Mac at least another 2-3 years which I'm not ready to commit to.

I think Bowles needs to win these next two games to save his job.  Probably 7 wins buys him another year especially with 100M to spend.  It would be a playoff of bust season in 2019 for both of them which I think might be the better way to go.

I'd feel much better if they cleaned house but I just think Mac gets his chance to spend this money.  

I forgot about Tyrell Williams. Ok. So, there's at least a couple of WRs that might hit the market. It's going to be slim pickings, but if the Jets can address the WR and one of the edge positions in FA, that'll go a long way to making this team competitive again. 

We can argue all night long why players don't sign with the Jets, and it is not going to chance a thing. Right now we got our QB, we must get him a #1 receiver, we must build a team around Darnold, we had a lot of #1 receivers in our history, like Keyshawn Johnson, Al Toon, Wesley Walker, Don Maynard, Brandon Marshall for the year he had over 1000 yards receiving and got us to the AFL title game. We have a chance of getting that receiver in the draft when we pick at 15 or lower. But who knows what Macc is going to do. Not sure about the Title game it might have been Sanchez at QB and  the receiver we got from Cleveland, BRAYLON EDWARDS.

Archived