Around The League

Bobby816

Love the player but I’m interested to see what the contract would look like, if it’s something along the lines of Gurley or DJ’s contract I’d be ok with it but if it blows there’s out of the water I’d be pretty tight

I'd be ok with 15M annually which is probably going to be pretty close to what it is.  We should def front load the deal with much of the guarantees paid early on just in case we need to get out of it after year 3.  Something like first three basically fully guaranteed with year 4 minimal.  He' probably going to be in the 45-50M guaranteed which is what Gurley got.  By locking up the first 3 years that cover the 45M guaranteed.  I mean he'll be what 26, 27 and 28 in those years which is still prime years, after that we can cut him loose with minimal cap issues.  

9 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Mike McCarthy is supposedly on his way out of GB after the season, has helped develop Aaron Rodgers into the best QB in the league and think he could do wonders with Sam. Thoughts on him as a potential HC?

I'm on the fence. GB's woes are part MM and part Rodger's ego. He's offensive minded, which I like, but if his whole offense revolves around winning 1v1 matchups, we're going to be the worst place for him to land.

36 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Mike McCarthy is supposedly on his way out of GB after the season, has helped develop Aaron Rodgers into the best QB in the league and think he could do wonders with Sam. Thoughts on him as a potential HC?

I'd pass.  Seems like when you have the best QB maybe of all time you should be better then what they have over the years.  I don't think he's the man for this job.

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

Love the player but I’m interested to see what the contract would look like, if it’s something along the lines of Gurley or DJ’s contract I’d be ok with it but if it blows there’s out of the water I’d be pretty tight

He is going want the highest contract ever given to a running back, that is for sure. That is what this current season is all about with Bell.

I think life McCarty gets fired from GB, I would take him as a OC not a head coach. People might hate this but I would not mind this HC: John H. O.C Todd Haley  DC Rex Ryan. I think Ryan might come back as John H. DC guy. They worked together at the Ravens and both where the final 2 for the HC job at Ravens. I just don't see Ryan coming out but man that interview he did on the Bills lose makes it almost sound like he want s to get back there and get a ring for the Jets. His Dad loved the team and so does Rex.

18 hours ago, doumeyer said:

He is going want the highest contract ever given to a running back, that is for sure. That is what this current season is all about with Bell.

I thought another part of gripe was about guarantee money, no? 

Bell Contract Offer;

$70 million, 5 years ($14 million per year)

$33 million guaranteed over the first 2 years

Todd Gurley:

$57.5 million, 4 years ($14.4 million per year)

$45 million guaranteed throughout the 4 years

Toddy Gurley's contract is much better. Gurley is essentially guaranteed to see the full value of his contract. Whereas Bell was only essentially guaranteed to see the first 2 years.

I think he will ultimately get something like 4 years $60 million total value with like $48 million guaranteed. This deal is comparable to Jarvis Landry's contract. Bell mentioned something about being paid like a receiver. It's a risk to guarantee that much money to a RB, but that is what he is fighting. 

19 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I thought another part of gripe was about guarantee money, no? 

Bell Contract Offer;

$70 million, 5 years ($14 million per year)

$33 million guaranteed over the first 2 years

Todd Gurley:

$57.5 million, 4 years ($14.4 million per year)

$45 million guaranteed throughout the 4 years

Toddy Gurley's contract is much better. Gurley is essentially guaranteed to see the full value of his contract. Whereas Bell was only essentially guaranteed to see the first 2 years.

I think he will ultimately get something like 4 years $60 million total value with like $48 million guaranteed. This deal is comparable to Jarvis Landry's contract. Bell mentioned something about being paid like a receiver. It's a risk to guarantee that much money to a RB, but that is what he is fighting. 

The best thing we have going for us in pursuing Bell is we are one of few teams that have the money for him for starters. And the other big reason is we are one of just a few teams that actually need a RB. And a difference maker at that. You look at the other teams that have the money and they have RBs they like. Cleveland has Chubb and Johnson, Indy has Mack and Hines, SF has McKinnon and Breida, etc.

As much as I like Bell's style and think he would help Darnold, I'm not paying him what he want or close to it. He just missed a year and now Connor is crushing his stats. Now the concern is his conditioning & if he was just a product of good surrounding. I'm not even mad that he held out, just hated the rumors his camp allowed to have people thinking he was going to return. We already have a pretty bad contract with tru Johnson now, not sure if I'm good with risking another $14M+ on a RB who sat out a year. 

3 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

As much as I like Bell's style and think he would help Darnold, I'm not paying him what he want or close to it. He just missed a year and now Connor is crushing his stats. Now the concern is his conditioning & if he was just a product of good surrounding. I'm not even mad that he held out, just hated the rumors his camp allowed to have people thinking he was going to return. We already have a pretty bad contract with tru Johnson now, not sure if I'm good with risking another $14M+ on a RB who sat out a year. 

In theory you’re not wrong. But where are you spending 109mill then? There’s no big FAs to spend on. The big name guys won’t hit FA at edge so you’re looking at having to pay a guy like Fowler Jr, Ansah, Ray, etc around 8-10mill annually. Resigning our own won’t cost more than around 40mill (and that’s a very high figure). So we’d still have after adding an edge and resigning our own 60mill or more in cap space. Who else deserves that money? Sign a couple OL? That’s still only putting a dent into our cap space. Bell gives us a difference maker, a huge weapon to make Darnold a franchise QB, and identity on offense. And a breathe of fresh air. It would make me beyond happy to see us change a ton next year. New uni, HC, OC, and new offensive players!!!

3 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Him sitting out in not all that bad. Had he played this year, the Steelers would have ran him to the ground. So, we will be getting fresh back who likely has 3 years of elite level production left. But you are right, it's definitely a risk giving a big contract to a RB. I guess this comes down to how much fans are wiling to take that risk. I think this team is desperate for a difference maker on offense. Which why I don't mind the Jets shelling out all that money. 4 years $60M total with like 50M guaranteed. 

I really like what the Colts have done on offense. They spent a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder on the OL. Now the defense can't even touch Luck. Im watching this game and trying to figure out who in the world Luck is throwing the ball to. Aside from TY Hilton, they have a bunch of jags. Yet their offense is clicking on all cylinders. All comes down to the OL. 

The Colts OL has not allowed a sack in 5 games!

Archived