Around The League

Bobby816

36 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

There stats for the 2016 was even worse. Orakpo had 10.5 and the rest of the team pretty much did nothing as edge rushers.

10.5 for Brian Orakpo.  9 for Derrick Morgan.  40 sacks as team for that year. 

Jets have Jordan Jenkins as team leader at 6.  The total of sacks for the current seasons with 3 games left is 28. 

Titans finished 9-7. They had proven DC in Dirk LaBeau to run the defense with two aforementioned edge rushers.  Also, they held 2 first round picks entering the 2017 draft. Titans' situation was much better than Jets' situation entering 2019 draft for now.  Awaiting for coaches changing and the team vision becoming clearer, we simply can't ignore the most value available for top 5.

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

10.5 for Brian Orakpo.  9 for Derrick Morgan.  40 sacks as team for that year. 

Jets have Jordan Jenkins as team leader at 6.  The total of sacks for the current seasons with 3 games left is 28. 

Titans finished 9-7. They had proven DC in Dirk LaBeau to run the defense with two aforementioned edge rushers.  Also, they held 2 first round picks entering the 2017 draft. Titans' situation was much better than Jets' situation entering 2019 draft for now.  Awaiting for coaches changing and the team vision becoming clearer, we simply can't ignore the most value available for top 5.

Derrick Morgan is an ILB, so that would be like saying we don't need an edge bc we have Williamson or Lee. We have a better DL situation then they had and arguably a better secondary as well. My point being is they went WR to help Mariota bc they knew that's what they needed to develop a franchise QB. And we should do the same. Our need to develop a franchise QB is FAR ore of a need then getting a BPA Edge rusher on defense.

31 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

We cant discount a coach that is fired. John Morton was fired last year. Looking back, we all know that was a bad decision. He was fired because of disagreements with Bowles not because of his knowledge. 

I think DeFilippo might need more time as an assistant. However, we should definitely interview him. 

Definitely we can't discount anything but it is going to be a hard sell.  Too many fired coaches ain't able to rebound back or improve for better result.   He happened to have a down season but do we give him a pass because nobody is perfect or philosophy is different from what HC really want for his team.  I don't know.. Take Norv Turner for instance, he left Vikings due to philosophy indifference with Mike Zimmer.  Norv Turner runs Panthers' offense just fine. 

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Definitely we can't discount anything but it is going to be a hard sell.  Too many fired coaches ain't able to rebound back or improve for better result.   He happened to have a down season but do we give him a pass because nobody is perfect or philosophy is different from what HC really want for his team.  I don't know.. Take Norv Turner for instance, he left Vikings due to philosophy indifference with Mike Zimmer.  Norv Turner runs Panthers' offense just fine. 

I cant se DeFillipo being a HC now after getting fired as OC. He will land an OC job though I'm sure. And I wouldn't be opposed to him being that here. Just HC is too much for him right now. Their could have been numerous reasons he went out of favor in Minnesota. Word will come out sooner or later.

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Derrick Morgan is an ILB, so that would be like saying we don't need an edge bc we have Williamson or Lee. We have a better DL situation then they had and arguably a better secondary as well. My point being is they went WR to help Mariota bc they knew that's what they needed to develop a franchise QB. And we should do the same. Our need to develop a franchise QB is FAR ore of a need then getting a BPA Edge rusher on defense.

They had Avery Williamson and Wesley Woodyard as ILB so I am pretty sure he has been OLB since the switch made from 4-3 in 2014 or about that.  However, it didn't matter because Dirk LeBeau loved to send all players into the backfield.  

Edit:  Woodyard started 10 games so it is possible that Morgan spelled in for 6 games. Whatever.

Thanks to a variety of injuries in WR depth this year, I can understand WR is a must for Darnold. That is why Jets have to have a thousand of scouting reports on WRs in case if we get Michael Thomas or similar one.  Re-signing all WRs can be done as well.  Too early to know at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I cant se DeFillipo being a HC now after getting fired as OC. He will land an OC job though I'm sure. And I wouldn't be opposed to him being that here. Just HC is too much for him right now. Their could have been numerous reasons he went out of favor in Minnesota. Word will come out sooner or later.

If you must know, I am happy that he is fired so that way Jets can hire him as OC without any silly blocking.   It will give John Harbaugh more options at OC, assuming John is the one.  Dirk Koetter, Adam Gase, Gary Kubiak, John DeFilippo and some veterans.  A plenty of choice.  No I can't guarantee that one of them will help Darnold turn into an elite QB but getting the offense going is more important to me right now.

3 hours ago, SDotNova said:

We cant discount a coach that is fired. John Morton was fired last year. Looking back, we all know that was a bad decision. He was fired because of disagreements with Bowles not because of his knowledge. 

I think DeFilippo might need more time as an assistant. However, we should definitely interview him. 

That is apples and oranges. Defilipo was fired in season because he has been atrocious with an all star cast. Morton was highly successful and fired because he has better philosophies than Bowles and Bowles is in over his head. Very different situations. Defilipo will be a QBs coach again and i wouldn’t mind it here but he had a ways to go before a team even lets him call plays let along be the commander in chief. 

Ah... Bears situation. Granted, Mitchell Trubisky isn't exactly firing up in passing category but Bears could be another example for Jets.

Mitchell Trubisky was 2nd prospect off the draftboard in 2017 draft. Bears also drafted TE Adam Shaheen (unfortunately is out of season) in the same draft. In 2018 off season, Bears signed TE Trey Burton, WR Allen Robinson and Taylor Gabriel as FA and then Bears drafted best defensive player available in Roquan Smith in 1st round. He was followed by two offensive prospects in 2nd round.

Jets have a chance to emulate the Bears plan. Well, it should be at least closer to that.  Adjusting a few ways to fit Jets' top plan.

3 hours ago, ekill08x said:

That is apples and oranges. Defilipo was fired in season because he has been atrocious with an all star cast. Morton was highly successful and fired because he has better philosophies than Bowles and Bowles is in over his head. Very different situations. Defilipo will be a QBs coach again and i wouldn’t mind it here but he had a ways to go before a team even lets him call plays let along be the commander in chief. 

I don’t think that’s the whole story. There’s been a lot of talk about how Zimmer wanted Defilippo to run the ball more. So there’s a philosophical difference there. That’s a lot like what happened with Bowles and Morton.

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I don’t think that’s the whole story. There’s been a lot of talk about how Zimmer wanted Defilippo to run the ball more. So there’s a philosophical difference there. That’s a lot like what happened with Bowles and Morton.

Defensive coaches typically want you to run the ball more and I understand why because it wears down opposing defenses. 

I do miss Morton’s passing concepts however. 

13 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Ah... Bears situation. Granted, Mitchell Trubisky isn't exactly firing up in passing category but Bears could be another example for Jets.

Mitchell Trubisky was 2nd prospect off the draftboard in 2017 draft. Bears also drafted TE Adam Shaheen (unfortunately is out of season) in the same draft. In 2018 off season, Bears signed TE Trey Burton, WR Allen Robinson and Taylor Gabriel as FA and then Bears drafted best defensive player available in Roquan Smith in 1st round. He was followed by two offensive prospects in 2nd round.

Jets have a chance to emulate the Bears plan. Well, it should be at least closer to that.  Adjusting a few ways to fit Jets' top plan.

Chicago is a good blueprint. The problem is there's no AR15 in this FA class at WR (Josh Gordon the closest thing skill wise). Tarik Cohen is a HUGE part as to why that team clicks as well, we don't have a guy like that. The big things Chicago needs now is to upgrade the OL and get that 2nd WR, bc teams double AR15 a lot. Obviously they win mostly with defense... but the have some pieces on offense to build on. On offense our only piece really looks like Herndon. So we need a lot.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Chicago is a good blueprint. The problem is there's no AR15 in this FA class at WR (Josh Gordon the closest thing skill wise). Tarik Cohen is a HUGE part as to why that team clicks as well, we don't have a guy like that. The big things Chicago needs now is to upgrade the OL and get that 2nd WR, bc teams double AR15 a lot. Obviously they win mostly with defense... but the have some pieces on offense to build on. On offense our only piece really looks like Herndon. So we need a lot.

Nagy is also ridiculously creative. There are no situational players in his scheme. Cohen runs the inside zone, the counter, the end around, and even flea flicker. Nagy had the heaviest goaline set imaginable with two DTs in the backfield for a bootleg pass. That's some McDaniels-type play calling right there.

4 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Nagy is also ridiculously creative. There are no situational players in his scheme. Cohen runs the inside zone, the counter, the end around, and even flea flicker. Nagy had the heaviest goaline set imaginable with two DTs in the backfield for a bootleg pass. That's some McDaniels-type play calling right there.

Agreed. But you need the talent to be creative and make it work. McGuire is a fraction of what Cohen is. So its not as simple as we get an offensive mind here and that makes this huge difference. Absolutely it will help. But the talent is still needed.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Agreed. But you need the talent to be creative and make it work. McGuire is a fraction of what Cohen is. So its not as simple as we get an offensive mind here and that makes this huge difference. Absolutely it will help. But the talent is still needed.

Without a doubt. I think Cannon will be a nice gadget player in a better offensive system. He's got great explosion, quickness, and can catch the wheel/seam route. I'm still high on Robby and Enunwa. Separation has been a huge issue, but they've been productive in non-Bates systems, so I think we have more to work with than we are seeing on the field. I'm on board with you for a true #1, but we'd have to trade for it. Best I see is Ty Williams, everyone else is either aging (Tate) or a huge risk (Gordon may not even make it through the offseason). We can take flyers on guys like Kevin White and Funchess, but I think our best shot is the draft. The pass rusher market might be the best market this year.

On 12/11/2018 at 9:56 AM, GangGreen420 said:

Cousin is now 4-24 against teams above .500 ... you guys still wanna give him whatever he wants?

A few of us, myself included had serious reservations about offering him $90M and preferred to go younger.  Glad it worked out the way it did except I was expecting Mayfield to fall to 3 not Sam.  Even though it looks like Mayfield is slightly ahead of Sam he's still 2 years younger so we'll see what it looks like in 2 years.  I think overall we got extremely lucky.

Archived