Around The League

Bobby816

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Agreed. But you need the talent to be creative and make it work. McGuire is a fraction of what Cohen is. So its not as simple as we get an offensive mind here and that makes this huge difference. Absolutely it will help. But the talent is still needed.

A good OC had even less to work with just 2 years ago and had guys like Anderson/Kearse on the verge of 1k seasons with no other help and an even worse OL.  Good coaching goes a long way.  Football coaching might have the biggest impact of any sport.

With good coaching Q, Anderson, another solid WR like Sanu lets say, and Herndon is a good enough supporting cast especially if you beef the OL and add Bell to the backfield.  We don't need a superstar WR we just need 1 more really solid #2 type, better coaching and a better OL.

Bell or a stud WR is a cherry on top.  A revamped OL is far more important or you become the Giants with stars everywhere and still struggle to score.

30 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Oh My God!   Alex Smith and Carson Wentz may miss few games in 2019?  What a mess.   Hopefully, this disease stays within NFC East.

I mean, Tannehill, Darnold, and Allen have all been sidelined multiple games with injuries already, so they might've had their due. I say bring it to the AFCE and give Brady some time off.

59 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I mean, Tannehill, Darnold, and Allen have all been sidelined multiple games with injuries already, so they might've had their due. I say bring it to the AFCE and give Brady some time off.

Ohhh!! Nasty. Nasty.  Why not. lol

On 12/12/2018 at 11:04 AM, Rockice_8 said:

A few of us, myself included had serious reservations about offering him $90M and preferred to go younger.  Glad it worked out the way it did except I was expecting Mayfield to fall to 3 not Sam.  Even though it looks like Mayfield is slightly ahead of Sam he's still 2 years younger so we'll see what it looks like in 2 years.  I think overall we got extremely lucky.

I was against signing him at all costs. I’d rather have Josh Allen than him at this point 

If you focus on only qb situation, you may be right about not overpaying Cousins. However, overpaying Cousins may make Jets to keep those 3 2nd round picks. With Cousins on the roster, Jets could add 3 offensive helps with those picks.  Cousins has outplayed Sam Darnold this year so our complaint will reduce to his inability to beat winning team only. It is still better than Darnold playing duck offesne for 2018.

Considering Jets would have about 100m cap room for 2019, having Cousins won't hurt 2019 salary as you can spend 70m to upgrade the current real situation.

Validating qb position as it is right for Jets is more important to you then so be it. My apologies.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

If you focus on only qb situation, you may be right about not overpaying Cousins. However, overpaying Cousins may make Jets to keep those 3 2nd round picks. With Cousins on the roster, Jets could add 3 offensive helps with those picks.  Cousins has outplayed Sam Darnold this year so our complaint will reduce to his inability to beat winning team only. It is still better than Darnold playing duck offesne for 2018.

Considering Jets would have about 100m cap room for 2019, having Cousins won't hurt 2019 salary as you can spend 70m to upgrade the current real situation.

Validating qb position as it is right for Jets is more important to you then so be it. My apologies.

Just as we hopefully are putting a team together over the next 2 seasons Cousins would likely be up for another big contract.  

I just thought at the time having to Cousins at 30 would only give us a short window.  Yes guys can play until they are 37-38 now but I knew we were a few more years away from being a true contender and Cousins at 33 when we are finally ready doesn't give us a really long window.

Add to the fact he did have some serious limitations as being a good but not great QB and there were huge reservations on my part.

Knowing that the young QB could bust in the NFL was not enough for me to prefer taking the chance one of them over Cousins.  So while I wouldn't have hated signing Cousins I did prefer taking the chance on the young guy and hoping for the best. 

47 minutes ago, famousj said:

The Jets have a chance for the #1 pick. The incentive should be to lose the rest of the their games.  Sit everbody who is hurt including Darnold (foot).  A new coach will have a new system anyway.

Sitting Darnold shouldn't be an option. He actually has looked pretty good these last 2 games. So why bench him? Just to lose? We will probably lose anyway.

Rookie QB teams, rank in average DVOA of opponent defenses

Jets: 1st (hardest)
Bills: 3rd
Cardinals: 16th
Browns: 31st

Found that interesting.  Darnold has had the hardest schedule out of any of the rookies.  For comparison Mayfield who is everyone's man crush lately with a cake walk defensive schedule this year.  Just all the more reason for optimism for Sam.  Thrown to the wolves with no OL and a tough defensive schedule and he held his own.  The future is bright.

If Mike Evans was out there than yes go after him and sign Bell. Then pick Bosa with the first pick and load up with OL guys in the draft and FA. That would be great to have Evans and Q on the outside with Anderson in the slot with Bell as the RB. That would be a nasty combo. 

Archived