Around The League

Bobby816

2 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

That's a bad mentality. We were a 4 win team who has issues on both sides.

We could run the ball

Barely could pass

Couldn't get home with our pass rush

Couldn't cover for long periods.

Offense is a lot about scheme, these 4 teams all have great schemes as well as good skill players. We all want to grab them and build up the O but we still need to have the ability to get stops when the game is on the line. I dont want to have to score 30+ to wins games.

What you say is very true. I just feel if we can get a go to guy at WR, to go along with Rob Anderson, Enunwa& Herndon, a big body guy like Brandon Marshall, we will be in great shape. Yes we need a pass rushing DE, move Leo to DT, Harry Anderson is fine at one end & get us a pass rushing end for the other side. With Leo a DT it will give us another Fletcher Cox. It is such a waste playing Leonard Williams at DE, that is not his position.

44 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

What you say is very true. I just feel if we can get a go to guy at WR, to go along with Rob Anderson, Enunwa& Herndon, a big body guy like Brandon Marshall, we will be in great shape. Yes we need a pass rushing DE, move Leo to DT, Harry Anderson is fine at one end & get us a pass rushing end for the other side. With Leo a DT it will give us another Fletcher Cox. It is such a waste playing Leonard Williams at DE, that is not his position.

Oh if there's a receiver there then by all means get him but right now it doesn't look like a WR at 3 is the best pick for us. 

Bosa, Allen and Ferrell IMO would have a bigger impact both short and long term for us than any receiver in the draft. We're in position to grab one of them.

28 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Oh if there's a receiver there then by all means get him but right now it doesn't look like a WR at 3 is the best pick for us. 

Bosa, Allen and Ferrell IMO would have a bigger impact both short and long term for us than any receiver in the draft. We're in position to grab one of them.

Trade down. Use the ammo to grab a wr ol and rb. Dropping down should still next us a second and third or 4th at worst.  That's the depth we desperately need.

6 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

With who? For who?

A team looking to move up to take a player they fell in love with, be it dlineman or QB or whomever they decide puts them over the top.

I'm not suggesting we are going to get some kind of kings ransom, but if a team like the giants or jags feel like they need to come up a bit to get a qb we would be in position to make a deal. 

I'm even ok taking a hit value wise if it means enticing someone to move up. Hell, call Denver and go after 10, 41 and 107. Or 3 and 96 for 10, 41, 72. Get creative, entice some teams and get some more high picks. The draft is a crap shoot. We've shown time and again we are great at busting everywhere whether its top 3 or the third round so let's get as many high picks as we can so we have a chance to get lucky.

If we trade down I want picks for next years draft. I would want pick in the first 3 rounds next year. I think this draft is very weak and does not have much depth. I think once you get past the top 5 it drops a lot then by the time the second round comes by your grading guys that should be 3 round grades in the top of the 2nd round. This is my feeling right now. The best guy in the draft did not even play and the top 2 guys in the draft are both defense. I'm talking Bosa and Allen. 

New England got younger, in 2018, and in the 2019 draft they have one first round pick, two picks in the second round, & three in the third round, one in the fourth round and a bunch in the fifth & sixth round. Us not having those two second round picks is a killer. We all known why we had to trade them away.

24 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

New England got younger, in 2018, and in the 2019 draft they have one first round pick, two picks in the second round, & three in the third round, one in the fourth round and a bunch in the fifth & sixth round. Us not having those two second round picks is a killer. We all known why we had to trade them away.

They will also have to get a franchise qb in the next year or two which could set them back and who knows maybe BB retires when Tom does too. Throw in Gronk retiring and they would obviously not be the force they are now (or have been in the last 15 years) 

This is the time to look ahead with hope and not worrying about NE or anyone else for that matter. In all the years you’ve supported the Jets (50+ years) have we ever looked in a better situation? (after Broadway Joe at least)

The dominant team in our division have all their main stars hitting retirement, we have a 21yr old franchise qb, a young offensive minded HC, 3rd pick the draft and $100m cap space. 

This is the time to be thinking of taking over and the others looking up to us! 

28 minutes ago, xenajets said:

They will also have to get a franchise qb in the next year or two which could set them back and who knows maybe BB retires when Tom does too. Throw in Gronk retiring and they would obviously not be the force they are now (or have been in the last 15 years) 

This is the time to look ahead with hope and not worrying about NE or anyone else for that matter. In all the years you’ve supported the Jets (50+ years) have we ever looked in a better situation? (after Broadway Joe at least)

The dominant team in our division have all their main stars hitting retirement, we have a 21yr old franchise qb, a young offensive minded HC, 3rd pick the draft and $100m cap space. 

You got a point, After my 55 years  as a Jet fan since the Super Bowl team with Namath, this is the best long term chance of having a competitive team for years to come. Especially with the 100 million we have for the FA market.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

You got a point, After my 55 years  as a Jet fan since the Super Bowl team with Namath, this is the best long term chance of having a competitive team for years to come. Especially with the 100 million we have for the FA market.

I wouldn’t get too excited. We had 100mill last off season and look what we did with it. Same GM.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I wouldn’t get too excited. We had 100mill last off season and look what we did with it. Same GM.

But he’s on the hot seat now more than ever so I can’t see him being coy this year. It’s now or never for Macc or he will be cast aside like John Idzik who is never in contention for GM jobs anymore 

Ideally I’d like to see us spend about 80% of our cap, hand our a few long term deals to OLinemen and a RB(Bell/Hunt/Coleman) then pepper in some smart prove it deals to some CB’s, WR’s and DE’s, then try and Grab Allen in the first and add OL and WR help from there on.

4 hours ago, xenajets said:

Truth. I don't imagine any team is in a better position to turn things around than you guys. Don't get me wrong, I like where my Bills are in improving, too, but you guys got some key youth at the right places, fewer but slightly higher draft picks this year, and even more money than we do. Both teams lack quality depth, but I think we have a little more needed upgrades in the starting lineup. I see others in this forum seemingly excited about spending all that cash in FA, but everyone with money is in the same place this year and it isn't great. What I'm saying is, you guys got the $100 mil to spend and the FA market is essentially a KMart this year, not a Barneys. The quality and quantity of the players just isn't all that great, which stinks for both of our organizations. We have a lot of similar needs and will probably be competing for OL upgrades, which hurts since there are not many options to legitimately upgrade with. The LB position looks pretty good in the draft, which should help you guys. Both of our teams will probably be looking for WR and, to a lesser extent, RB upgrades, as well. We also need to upgrade at TE and at least get depth on the interior DL, that you guys probably don't really need, at least immediately. It's a good thing we have those 10 draft picks, but, again, several positions are pretty weak in this draft, so it will likely come down to just getting lucky late if we are going to see actual upgrades everywhere we need them.

In the draft, I suspect your Jets go after an edge rusher early because it will also benefit your secondary. The draft has a good supply of DL than can help you guys and you are in great position to land a game-changer. Then again, Greedy might be another option at #3 and then some jockeying to position yourselves for that impact edge rusher. You guys might even package future draft picks to do this given the eyeballs looking at your GM and a need to spend some of that Cap. With the lack of a 2nd round pick, several weak position groups in the draft, and a sad FA market, I also wouldn't be surprised to see you guys (and the Bills, too) "overpay" for some short term FA contracts so as to meet the minimum spending requirements. Also, because of that, trading back might not be an option if you somehow weren't able to spend a lot of cash in FA. Again, I think the Jets and the Bills are in a good position to turn things around, but we both might not see any dramatic results for 2 seasons due to the lack of quality players in areas of need we both face. I could see the AFCE being very competitive next season, without any one team leaving the rest of the pack behind.

Best of luck this off-season. Looking forward to both of our teams battling it out for supremacy of the AFCE over the next few years. Should make for an exciting rivalry again.

Archived