Official Sunshine Thread 2018

Apollo Stallion

Not exactly sunshine and rainbows, but figured I'd share this here - this is pathetic. Confirms what we know, O'Brien is about as creative as beige paint on 1st down, throwing the ball 36% times and running the ball 64% of the time (31st in the league). 

We have the best WR in football and one of the up-and-coming QBs, yet... here we are, stumbling out of the gates on first down because our play caller is stuck in 1987 and thinks running Lamar Miller up the middle is an effective use of 1st down.

Frustrating... Simply frustrating.

On 12/25/2018 at 3:20 AM, ET80 said:

Not exactly sunshine and rainbows, but figured I'd share this here - this is pathetic. Confirms what we know, O'Brien is about as creative as beige paint on 1st down, throwing the ball 36% times and running the ball 64% of the time (31st in the league). 

We have the best WR in football and one of the up-and-coming QBs, yet... here we are, stumbling out of the gates on first down because our play caller is stuck in 1987 and thinks running Lamar Miller up the middle is an effective use of 1st down.

Frustrating... Simply frustrating.

There is nothing more frustrating than this. It's no wonder why they are also in the bottom 10 of the league in 3rd down conversion and 3rd down yards to go. Just setting up the offense to fail.

Great season by Texans standards. Late game collapse to the Eagles cost us a bye. 

I don’t have faith that we can beat the Colts because we can’t atop luck from throwing 400 yards and 4 TDs and BOB can’t come up with a game plan to keep up on offense.  

Hopefully this will put an emphasis on us needing a better o-line and secondary. 

Our O-Line coach needs to be fired ASAP

35 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I don’t have faith that we can beat the Colts because we can’t atop luck from throwing 400 yards and 4 TDs and BOB can’t come up with a game plan to keep up on offense.  

In our two games vs the Colts, Deshaun Watson was sacked 12 times, Andrew Luck threw for 863 yards and 6 TDs, TY Hilton had 314 yards on 13 receptions (in only 1.5 games, mind you).

Despite the disparity, both games were decided by three points. Somehow, we're finding a way to hang around long enough to make it a close game despite getting bludgeoned. 

If the numbers balance out like the first two times, I don't expect to win. Only so many sacks you can take, only so many passing yards you can give up. But if we can improve on ONE of those - either protect Watson better or defend the pass better - I'm confident we can win.

41 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Hopefully this will put an emphasis on us needing a better o-line and secondary. 

I don't think there's a single person who doesn't see this as the 1a/1b need for this team. Unless you have some wild opportunity to get Nick Bosa or Ed Oliver in the late 20s, you're burning all of your early draft capital on OL or CB. You're probably drafting two of each with your first four picks. Other needs at DL depth, OLB, RB depth, WR depth - FA moves, nothing more. 

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

In our two games vs the Colts, Deshaun Watson was sacked 12 times, Andrew Luck threw for 863 yards and 6 TDs, TY Hilton had 314 yards on 13 receptions (in only 1.5 games, mind you).

Despite the disparity, both games were decided by three points. Somehow, we're finding a way to hang around long enough to make it a close game despite getting bludgeoned. 

If the numbers balance out like the first two times, I don't expect to win. Only so many sacks you can take, only so many passing yards you can give up. But if we can improve on ONE of those - either protect Watson better or defend the pass better - I'm confident we can win.

I don't think there's a single person who doesn't see this as the 1a/1b need for this team. Unless you have some wild opportunity to get Nick Bosa or Ed Oliver in the late 20s, you're burning all of your early draft capital on OL or CB. You're probably drafting two of each with your first four picks. Other needs at DL depth, OLB, RB depth, WR depth - FA moves, nothing more. 

I will be shocked if we go O-Line or CB with our 1st round pick. The way the draft seems to be shaping up, there will not be anyone of value at either of those when we pick. I am 90% convinced we draft an OLB in round 1. Which is ok I guess, we can save big money by getting rid of Mercilus who makes too much money and provides too little in return, especially for a team about to pay 35 million per for Watt/CLowney

19 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I will be shocked if we go O-Line or CB with our 1st round pick. The way the draft seems to be shaping up, there will not be anyone of value at either of those when we pick.

I think this presents opportunity to trade down - teams always need penetrators and pass rushers, and if a big enough name drops (Dexter Lawrence seems to be falling) you can probably flip the pick.

CB, I agree. OL, I think there are a few tweener 1st/2nd round guys who might not be as good as Williams/Little, but they're exactly what we need. You gotta figure guys are going to rise and fall between now and the draft as well - remember this time last year, everyone had Orlando Brown as a late 1st/early 2nd rounder until his combine showing? Guys rise and fall all of the time.

I'm also not opposed to overdrafting a guy who would be an early to mid 2nd round pick; Duane Brown was once a 2nd/3rd round guy and picking him at 26 was a reach (pretty big one at that) and that worked out. My gut tells me Dalton Risner and Andre Dillard both project out in that same fashion.

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm also not opposed to overdrafting a guy who would be an early to mid 2nd round pick; Duane Brown was once a 2nd/3rd round guy and picking him at 26 was a reach (pretty big one at that) and that worked out. My gut tells me Dalton Risner and Andre Dillard both project out in that same fashion.

If you remember correctly, we have a coach who can develop lineman like crazy. Brown took a few years to become a legit starting LT, and we can't afford a season like his rookie year next year. 

It's official - at a 42.1 PFF grade, Martinas Rankin is the worst T in football.

On the plus side, he's only slightly worse that Raiders LT Kolton Miller, and Miller was a 1st round draft pick. 

Archived