Official Sunshine Thread 2018

Apollo Stallion

I have been really impressed with Rankin. The guy is holding his own. Hes not playing like a pro bowler, but neither did Duane Brown his rookie season. He missed most of the off season, didn't play most of the pre season and was thrown in at LT week 1. The fact that its not been a complete disaster speaks volumes. It also says something that instead of putting him in at RT, we trusted him enough to move Davenport to RT and put him right in at LT. I am optimistic that he might be the answer out there. 

Its not like its anything crazy either. He was a 1st team All SEC LT last year. Playing LT in the SEC is about as prepared as you can be for the NFL. He was widely thought of as a 1st round pick before his senior season and he struggled a little with injuries that hurt his draft stock. His health has been his only issue, and he was ranked anywhere from the 4th-10th best tackle in the draft by most major sources. 

I am really high on the guy. Hopefully his foot and ankle injuries hes had over the last year are behind him now and he will continue to grow. 

• Will Fuller has taken the next step and has become a complete receiver.  Last year's run was promising, but it was still boom or bust bombs.  He is running and catching the entire route tree, and looks stronger and more willling and capable of taking hits and caching in traffic.
  • TE's were solid again.  Thomas 2/53 on 2 targets.  Griffin 2/44 on 4 targets, Akins 1/18 on one target.  Watson has got to stop dropping back looking for homeruns and start stringing together some doubles underneath.
  • Mathieu and Joseph continue to be in great form and are doing their jobs.  Jackson took a step back but putting him in a position to cover Odell one on one is a scheme/coaching mismatch just like having Mercilus covering Shephard on the clinching TD.  Colvin made some plays, but whiffed on others. The primary issue is the same one that has faced this franchise for over a decade - there is always an obvious weak link to exploit.  This weeks roastee's were Shareece Wright and Zach Cunningham.
  • Ervin was solid in both punt and kickoff returnns including a 27 yard punt return.  Fairborn was 3/3 including a 54 yarder that shows the idiocy of Bob failing to use him last week after a bad hold made his last 54 yarder fall short.  Dude has the leg.
  • Watson's accuracy and decision making remain suspect, but the dude did produce 385 yards thru the air and 36 on the ground despite the entire game being pretty much obvious passing situation due to penalties and score.
  • JJ

20 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Will Fuller has taken the next step and has become a complete receiver.  Last year's run was promising, but it was still boom or bust bombs.  He is running and catching the entire route tree, and looks stronger and more willling and capable of taking hits and caching in traffic.

It's not just that he's taking hits, he's giving them out. He straight up bulldozed Curtis Riley, who's not a small corner (6' 203), and then pushed his way into the endzone against him later.

On 9/25/2018 at 2:54 PM, Marco79 said:

It's not just that he's taking hits, he's giving them out. He straight up bulldozed Curtis Riley, who's not a small corner (6' 203), and then pushed his way into the endzone against him later.

When you watched him at Notre Dame, you saw thar he was INCREDIBLY physical out there - he plays like he's 6' 3" 220 when he's squaring up against a DB in the open field, got low and hit hard. In college - that can work at 175. In the league - that gets you killed at 175. 

That extra bulk is paying off, dude actually looks pretty jacked (granted, he's not Andre Johnson jacked - but jacked for a guy with his frame). He's still playing to every second of that 4.28 speed, but now has pop behind his shoulder pads. 

I don't think it's a stretch to say he's established himself as a 1B vs a true #2, and - as of the last two games - he's been the best WR on the team. Hopkins has been good and is still the guy you look for when you need to convert a 1st down, but Fuller is quickly turning himself into a dangerous player.

Try as I might, I can't help but to smile after a win. This win was an early Christmas present from Frank Reich, and now the proverbial hot seat is cooling down a smidge, but it's always good to win.

- So, the Keke Coutee welcoming party was really nice, with the rookie putting up 109 yards on 11 grabs. They got really creative in using him; Bruce Ellington was a decoy on those little RPO sweeps, but Coutee actually gets the ball in those moments. He caught a little jet sweep/shovel pass and actually turned it into an 11 yard gain. He's got promise, should be a fine piece of this offense going forward.

- Jordan Akins is never going to be a great blocking TE, but he has some savvy in his routes and has good, strong hands to make touch catches in traffic. He's another long term weapon that will look better and better as his career progresses. 

- Hmm, whaddya know. Move the pocket around, and our QB can find lanes and make big chunk plays. We've been calling for it for weeks and look, it works. 

- Sharice Wright wasn't a complete mess in his 2nd game out. He's very physical at the point of attack, he fights and swats at the ball, just an agitator at CB. Still waiting to see Kayvon Webster out there, but there was a quarter's worth of good CB play from him. 

- I'm now 100% not worried on Deshaun Watson's knee anymore. His 18 yard scramble in the 4th was a great bit of running, he saw his lane, pointed out who to block and made a great run. He's gotta run like that more often, he's too good of a passer to dedicate a body to spy on stuff like that.

- Games like today are why Jadevion Clowney was taken #1 overall and was talked about in the "highest paid defensive player" conversation. When he's on, there is not a single human being who can stop him...except himself.

- JJ

Week 4 Sunshine - Broadcast edition

• We apparently have created a hybrid clone named Deshaundre Watkins that can both throw the ball and catch it on the same play.  Looking forward to JJ Wattkins strip sacking himself for a TD next time we draw this broadcast team. Maybe we should have traded for Sammy Watkins so we could create the Clemson trinity in Desamdre Watkins. 
  • The roster exemption that allowed us play a bunch of guys I never heard of before like Anthony Fuller, Tyler Mathieu, Tyrone Matthews, Shaun Watkins, Albert Blue.
  • TJ Watt and Kyle Fuller play for us now too.  Rosevelt Colvin came out of retirement.
  • Excited to see the rest of the Will Fuller V play - maybe Tito and Marlon Fuller get in the game next week
  • Ka'iminoeauloameka'ikeokekumupa'a Fairbairn won't be confused with anyone else now
  • I am far less likely to be triggered by casual posters who misspell Ryan Griffin as Griffen because at least I know they would probably pronounce it right.
  • My ability to correctly pronounce obscure names like Kalambayi, Ejiofor, Coutee, and Akins (no "t") after draft day makes me the Stephen Hawking of football knowledge vs. a CBS broadcast team that can't be expected to learn the difference between our national championship winning / heisman trophy finalist QB and our 2 time Pro Bowl WR.
  • Next Sunday Night's vs. game will NOT feature CBS' 17th string announcing team of Adam Archuleta and Spero Dedes.  Al Micheals is on the play by play Mt. Rushmore and while Cris Collinsworth can come off as a smug know-it-all at times, he does his homework and is well researched unlike Archuleta who I'm pretty sure spent more time picking out his tie or watching his wife's sex tapes than studying the Texans depth chart or film.   I'm prepared for the condescending Cowboys little brother treatment we always get, undeserved praise for our owner and coach, and an uncomfortable amount of airtime focused on JJ Watt vs. everyone else but it will be at least be nice to hear a professional broadcast after the Mountain West Community College JV Broadcast teams our AFC South matchups draw.

19 hours ago, ET80 said:

- Hmm, whaddya know. Move the pocket around, and our QB can find lanes and make big chunk plays. We've been calling for it for weeks and look, it works. 

When they went away from it in the 2nd half and started running Miller into the pile on 1st and 2nd down, the offense stalled, and then when they went back to it in OT they started moving the ball again. Weird!

21 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Wright and Webster might be our two best CBs

More of an indictment on our CBs going into the season...when two street FAs are the key guys in the unit, you know there's not much to write home about.

Archived