Playoff Watch

Kiwibrown

we have a talented team. lets track this. 
We are 1 game behind cin and bal for the division and we aren't last place in our division by ourselves. 

I think there is probably a math formula where the further from the playoffs we get the closer we get t to Baker. the more rapidly we are away from the playoff, if we lose the next 2 games the exponentially closer we are to Baker, while the more middling to good we are  the exponentially further we are away from baker. 

to lose is to Baker 

to win is to Tyrod. 

We will see how good the defense is next week when we travel to New Orleans. Lots to like there from today though. 

Offense...needs to get better. I’ll start getting optimistic if we can start winning some close ones and figure out something on offense. Desmond Harrison needs to sit this week or Tie-Rod is going to have a week left in the NFL.

19 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

We will see how good the defense is next week when we travel to New Orleans. Lots to like there from today though. 

Offense...needs to get better. I’ll start getting optimistic if we can start winning some close ones and figure out something on offense. Desmond Harrison needs to sit this week or Tie-Rod is going to have a week left in the NFL.

Slow down on Desmond, buddy. I just rewatched every offensive snap again, solely focused on him and what happened with each sack/pressure, and Desmond showed something.

He got flat out beat once, but if Tyrod would have stepped up in the pocket, the man never gets him. That was a regular occurrence today, Tyrod not stepping up into the pocket. Maybe it's a lack of height thing, or feeling pressure in his face that wasn't actually there.

Desmond did have a couple of false starts, but I attribute that to being a rookie. Corbett probably would have had the same. 

One snap, Desmond's rusher paused and you could tell Desmond didn't know what to do, so he kept dropping back towards the QB, and then the rusher bulled, causing a pressure. Another time, Desmond was just fooled by the defensive alignment and blocked the wrong defender.

Fells got beat blocking Watt one on one. 

Chris Hubbard got beat once or twice, but wasn't terrible. Zeitler had some snaps where you could tell he had missed much of training camp. I didn't focus on Tretter, but I know for sure one play that he got straight bulled into Tyrod easily, but Tyrod bailed him out by escaping the pocket for a good QB run.

But, I'd also put one or two sacks on Tyrod himself, for being tentative and holding onto the ball too long, along with not stepping up.

Point is: Desmond showed a lot of ability out there today. His feet were awesome; Dupree's speed rush was cake to Desmond. He's strong when he gets his hands on you. And never seemed like things were too big. Most of his issues were because of experience, which will be remedied by playing time, not taking him out.

Although I could see Hue blaming him and benching him this week, but Hue sucks.

6 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Slow down on Desmond, buddy. I just rewatched every offensive snap again, solely focused on him and what happened with each sack/pressure, and Desmond showed something.

He got flat out beat once, but if Tyrod would have stepped up in the pocket, the man never gets him. That was a regular occurrence today, Tyrod not stepping up into the pocket. Maybe it's a lack of height thing, or feeling pressure in his face that wasn't actually there.

Desmond did have a couple of false starts, but I attribute that to being a rookie. Corbett probably would have had the same. 

One snap, Desmond's rusher paused and you could tell Desmond didn't know what to do, so he kept dropping back towards the QB, and then the rusher bulled, causing a pressure. Another time, Desmond was just fooled by the defensive alignment and blocked the wrong defender.

Fells got beat blocking Watt one on one. 

Chris Hubbard got beat once or twice, but wasn't terrible. Zeitler had some snaps where you could tell he had missed much of training camp. I didn't focus on Tretter, but I know for sure one play that he got straight bulled into Tyrod easily, but Tyrod bailed him out by escaping the pocket for a good QB run.

But, I'd also put one or two sacks on Tyrod himself, for being tentative and holding onto the ball too long, along with not stepping up.

Even with the caveats, it was a rough day for Harrison. https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/browns/desmond-harrison-has-tough-time-in-first-start-at-left-tackle-position-vacated-by-joe-thomas

Has to be told what to do on each play by another lineman. Driven back several times, confused, beat for sacks.

I’m not saying he’s going to suck a year from now. Just that he’s nowhere close to ready to start at LT. That’s just a reality. And worst of all, he was given no preseason starting experience. The starting preseason OL consists of a guy who is inactive. This was really poorly managed. I hope it gets better. My hunch, knowing Hue, is he’s stubborn about it and we continue to see Harrison hurt us by being out there before he’s nearly ready.

@NateDawg and @Fatgerman my two cents.

if if you have to be told what to do each play it kind of craps on the whole earning your stripes thing. 

It craps on Corbett who has done all he can to be out on the field with an excellent college career and an ok pre season where he at least knew the playbook and improved. 

It is a Josh Gordon coddling thing where talent surpasses commitment and working hard. On the pats it would be  bit and Corbett not Harrison despite his talent. 

I agree Harrison movement is exceptional and his strength is great also. I liked a lot of his play and agree with fg a lot or some of it was on tt not his oline. Hanging onto the ball and not moving up the pocket.

33 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Even with the caveats, it was a rough day for Harrison. https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/browns/desmond-harrison-has-tough-time-in-first-start-at-left-tackle-position-vacated-by-joe-thomas

Has to be told what to do on each play by another lineman. Driven back several times, confused, beat for sacks.

I’m not saying he’s going to suck a year from now. Just that he’s nowhere close to ready to start at LT. That’s just a reality. And worst of all, he was given no preseason starting experience. The starting preseason OL consists of a guy who is inactive. This was really poorly managed. I hope it gets better. My hunch, knowing Hue, is he’s stubborn about it and we continue to see Harrison hurt us by being out there before he’s nearly ready.

You are wrong, in my opinion, and thats not the reality, that's the opinion of you. He is close, IMO!

This article just said everything I just said, but with a negative connotation. And the quote from Bitonio wasn't so much that they had to tell him what to do every play, that sounds like he doesn't even know the playbook. It's more telling him what they're seeing, who he'll be blocking because of disguise, and his checks. This is pretty standard with a rookie lineman starting, especially against an exotic blitzing team like Pittsburgh.

Driven back and the sacks were the same plays, when you repeat them like that, but in two different phrases, you make it sound worse. Example: I slapped your face. I struck you. Sounds like two occurances when it was really just a reiteration of a single slap. I hate that.

Confused? Yes, as any rookie lineman is, especially when his first game is against a team with exotic blitzes and multiple looks and disguises. But experience is the only way to progress with that sort of thing. If he was getting whipped because of inferior ability and technique, I'd agree that he needs to sit and mature, but that's not the problem. He needs experience.

Also, would you rather Tyrod, a rental, take the lumps as Desmond learns, or wait until next year so Baker, our future, can take those lumps?? Think about that. Now's the Time for growing pains, before Baker steps in, so he can have the best situation to see him through his own growing pains. Don't be so caught up in winning this season. Remember, it's 2019-2020 when things should really get cooking.

15 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

@NateDawg and @Fatgerman my two cents.

if if you have to be told what to do each play it kind of craps on the whole earning your stripes thing. 

It craps on Corbett who has done all he can to be out on the field with an excellent college career and an ok pre season where he at least knew the playbook and improved. 

It is a Josh Gordon coddling thing where talent surpasses commitment and working hard. On the pats it would be  bit and Corbett not Harrison despite his talent. 

I agree Harrison movement is exceptional and his strength is great also. I liked a lot of his play and agree with fg a lot or some of it was on tt not his oline. Hanging onto the ball and not moving up the pocket.

Read what I just wrote about the having to be told what to do before each play thing, and think about that before you make up your mind. Also, good point on the escaping backwards thought. Might be.

Archived