Playoff Watch

Kiwibrown

12 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Read what I just wrote about the having to be told what to do before each play thing, and think about that before you make up your mind. Also, good point on the escaping backwards thought. Might be.

I wanted to like, but I am spent.

good point 

1 hour ago, Fatgerman said:

You are wrong, in my opinion, and thats not the reality, that's the opinion of you. He is close, IMO!

This article just said everything I just said, but with a negative connotation. And the quote from Bitonio wasn't so much that they had to tell him what to do every play, that sounds like he doesn't even know the playbook. It's more telling him what they're seeing, who he'll be blocking because of disguise, and his checks. This is pretty standard with a rookie lineman starting, especially against an exotic blitzing team like Pittsburgh.

Driven back and the sacks were the same plays, when you repeat them like that, but in two different phrases, you make it sound worse. Example: I slapped your face. I struck you. Sounds like two occurances when it was really just a reiteration of a single slap. I hate that.

Confused? Yes, as any rookie lineman is, especially when his first game is against a team with exotic blitzes and multiple looks and disguises. But experience is the only way to progress with that sort of thing. If he was getting whipped because of inferior ability and technique, I'd agree that he needs to sit and mature, but that's not the problem. He needs experience.

Also, would you rather Tyrod, a rental, take the lumps as Desmond learns, or wait until next year so Baker, our future, can take those lumps?? Think about that. Now's the Time for growing pains, before Baker steps in, so he can have the best situation to see him through his own growing pains. Don't be so caught up in winning this season. Remember, it's 2019-2020 when things should really get cooking.

My opinion vs. yours on this one. You call mine a negative spin while I’ll say yours is overly positive. The numbers (penalties and sacks) suggest the negative. I get what you’re saying about Tie-Rod needing to step up but that was not always on him. To be expected for a rookie, but Harrison looked lost out there to me. Hence, why I feel he has the tools to be very good but is not ready to face NFL starting ends based on his experience. As for your question, I’d rather Harrison wait to play. If we’re trying to ‘win now,’ let’s do it and not go half-way. 

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

My opinion vs. yours on this one. You call mine a negative spin while I’ll say yours is overly positive. The numbers (penalties and sacks) suggest the negative. I get what you’re saying about Tie-Rod needing to step up but that was not always on him. To be expected for a rookie, but Harrison looked lost out there to me. Hence, why I feel he has the tools to be very good but is not ready to face NFL starting ends based on his experience. As for your question, I’d rather Harrison wait to play. If we’re trying to ‘win now,’ let’s do it and not go half-way. 

I think we're playing in the same sandlot basically. The negative connotation was referring to the article, not you.

I'm looking for progress and winning now, but not at the cost of the future. We are the youngest team in the league, boys. Development has to be part of the program. To go all out would be to sacrifice the progress of youth for all veterans now. Fells would play over Njoku. Avery would get no snaps, Chris Smith would get them all. Denzel Ward would be on the bench for a vet instead, like Carrie, because we can't risk rookie mistakes. Slippery slope we're creeping on.

There must be a balance, and development must be very important in that balance. Desmond needs experience to develop, not bench sitting. Great, Denzel didn't make the mistakes that Desmond made today, but what if Michael Thomas takes Denzel to school next week, would he need to be benched after that? Hey, man. Gotta win now, right? I think I've made my point, and you get it. We're all good.

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

I think you’re both right tbh.

Harrison ha some really positive moments, and you can see the natural ability. If he can keep his poop in a group mentally, he’s got a good shot at being a really good tackle.

That said, he looked like a rookie....from a D2 schoool.....who missed a couple years of football. Dude isn’t ready yet, at least not to be depended on.  

I will say the Steelers defense is legit and has a slew of guys who can get to the QB. Let’s see what the kid does with more practice reps and more time in the film room.

Of course if he doesn’t improve, let’s hope Hue has a backup plan for his backup plan’s backup plan.

25 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think you’re both right tbh.

Harrison ha some really positive moments, and you can see the natural ability. If he can keep his poop in a group mentally, he’s got a good shot at being a really good tackle.

That said, he looked like a rookie....from a D2 schoool.....who missed a couple years of football. Dude isn’t ready yet, at least not to be depended on.  

I will say the Steelers defense is legit and has a slew of guys who can get to the QB. Let’s see what the kid does with more practice reps and more time in the film room.

Of course if he doesn’t improve, let’s hope Hue has a backup plan for his backup plan’s backup plan.

Playoff Watch.  I like it.  It fits perfectly in here.

The "Watch" that's coming like a freight train, though, is the Baker Watch.  If Tyrod delivers one or two more performances like yesterday, a riot will ensue.  It will be interesting to see how long Dorsey and co stick with "the plan" of sitting Baker if Tyrod starts costing us games.

After getting beat yesterday, I look for us to get whacked vs. the Saints on the road. The Saints can't afford to be 0-2, they have a huge veteran presence and one of the GOAT QBs, with a balanced offensive attack. If we want to win, we'd better score 35+, and after yesterday, I can't exactly get on board with that. That said, if we win the next two vs. the Jets and Raiders going into a home game vs. the Ravens, I'd love to see a meaningful October game for the first time in ages.

36 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

After getting beat yesterday, I look for us to get whacked vs. the Saints on the road. The Saints can't afford to be 0-2, they have a huge veteran presence and one of the GOAT QBs, with a balanced offensive attack. If we want to win, we'd better score 35+, and after yesterday, I can't exactly get on board with that. That said, if we win the next two vs. the Jets and Raiders going into a home game vs. the Ravens, I'd love to see a meaningful October game for the first time in ages.

This. Some people are now saying the Saints look beatable, mainly due to their defense. Maybe that's the case, but I bet they come out next week with a huge chip on the shoulder and give us a spanking. Tyrod HAS to have a solid game next week though in order to keep his job for much longer after such a terrible display yesterday.

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

This. Some people are now saying the Saints look beatable, mainly due to their defense. Maybe that's the case, but I bet they come out next week with a huge chip on the shoulder and give us a spanking. Tyrod HAS to have a solid game next week though in order to keep his job for much longer after such a terrible display yesterday.

The Saints defense was horrible yesterday.  I had them in a FF league and they lost me 7.3 points.  Lets hope they are that bad next week.  Fitz hung 48 points on them, Tyrod has to be able to do something. 

Archived