Dak - Grown Man

textaz03

25 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Go back and watch the last game. Dak had plenty of timing throws with Cooper. A couple outs, an in route. 

Then why did he go away from those timed routes? He played almost scared after the 1st half. That big pass to Gallup in the first was a timed pass and sure he made a few very good ones. After that I think he only attempted a pass past 10 yards only twice I think. Then he played the rest of the game like he was trying not to lose it. Part of me wants to blame Dak for being too cautious and another part was that was what Linehan and Garrett told him to do to limit any TO's.

35 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Go back and watch the last game. Dak had plenty of timing throws with Cooper. A couple outs, an in route. 

I watched Aikman. I watched him stand in the pocket and take a bunch of sacks. I saw him throw a ton of INTs. I saw him often throw for under 200 yards. If Aikman was our QB today, you would call him a statute that takes to long to throw the ball. 

But, when Aikman was on point (often the biggest games/playoffs), the dude was deadly accurate. 

Aikman was one of the most accurate qbs I have ever seen .There is now way Dak could throw the ball the way Aikman could. It’s not even close.  Like you said in the big games Aikman was great. I saw the timing throws to Cooper and Dak still waits until Cooper is open or has some separation . Aikman used to throw the ball to Irvin  on his out  routes or come back routes as Irvin was making his cut. Dak does not do this he usually waits until he sees some separation. 

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Then why did he go away from those timed routes? He played almost scared after the 1st half. That big pass to Gallup in the first was a timed pass and sure he made a few very good ones. After that I think he only attempted a pass past 10 yards only twice I think. Then he played the rest of the game like he was trying not to lose it. Part of me wants to blame Dak for being too cautious and another part was that was what Linehan and Garrett told him to do to limit any TO's.

I already spoke to this in the GDT. Did you read it? 

In the first half they were daring Dak to throw. They were typically playing single high with a run blitz (as @DaBoys likes to point out). With all of our WRs essentially in 1 on 1 coverage, Dak just had to find the open guy. He did awesome surveying the field and taking advantage; i think everyone will agree he easily marched down the field with great throws to Gallup and Cooper. Linehan also took advantage by using the screen game to get the ball to the outsides, stressing the LBs and SS. 

In the second half they played coverage. They would still load the box on first down, but virtually every 2nd and 3rd down they were rushing 4, spying Zeke with a LB and dropping the other 6 guys into coverage. We would often have 3 or 4 WRs against 6 DBs. Nothing was open. And unlike the "gunslinger" he would take the sack or run for it instead of throw a pick. 

We did the same exact thing against the Saints in the second half. Thats why LVE kept coming off the field and Jordan Lewis went on. We were playing coverage. 4 DL, 1LB, 6 DBs. And just like Dak, Drew Brees struggled. 

2 things sucked for us: 1 - Zeke couldnt take advantage of a very light box. And when they run blitzed, he was being to patient which led to many 0 yard/negative runs 2. Our OL couldnt block 4 DL worth a damn (neither run or pass blocking). 

*** The missed deep ball to Gallup is a perfect example of this. It was a go route on first down. The Saints expected us to run every first down. And for the most part we did. Linehans one good adjustment was on that play. Sell the run, hit the go. It was just a poor pass. 

1 hour ago, cromagnum said:

Have not seen WARE94 in a while. He was a big Dak fan. I wonder if he is still as high on Dak as he once was.

Dware94? Think he had some serious problems he was facing outside of this site. Health issues or something. I don't think he has an opinion if he is still dealing with that. Hopefully he's not.

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Dware94? Think he had some serious problems he was facing outside of this site. Health issues or something. I don't think he has an opinion if he is still dealing with that. Hopefully he's not.

Ye him he posted here alot and was always really high on Dak.

9 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I watched Aikman. I watched him stand in the pocket and take a bunch of sacks. I saw him throw a ton of INTs. I saw him often throw for under 200 yards. If Aikman was our QB today, you would call him a statute that takes to long to throw the ball. 

But, when Aikman was on point (often the biggest games/playoffs), the dude was deadly accurate. 

I agree, aikman wasn’t a qb that could improvise, but when on time, was very very accurate

I really think it’s way too early to start thinking any absolutes about Dak this offense and going forward     I know I am having a hard time adjusting to this new game where you take a rookie throw him into the deep end then dump him in two three years if you don’t luck into a Brady. Rather in the past you let the QB grow in your system learn from a vet then eventually take over like you know Rogers.

Dak needs to learn a lot still yes but he has a very strong character and is a born leader with good skills and YES he can throw timing routes and throw deep balls but yes he will miss some passes like all QB.    

What I saw was he was cautious as he saw things that were unexpected in the second half and the coaches weren’t initially prepared for the change in NO D and our OL struggled as well but I think we also can get a little too carried away with being negative about the 2nd half as the team only had THREE drives and one of those drives was a 7 min or so drive and if the game was tied or we were behind I think it would have ended way differently as the coaches went  IMO conservative and scared  once we got red zone area and that helped stall it.  and the other two effectively killed by OL bad play 

9 hours ago, 5x10 said:

I agree, aikman wasn’t a qb that could improvise, but when on time, was very very accurate

One of the best games I saw aikman play was the loss to the 49ers in 94. He took a beating that game but kept slinging it and nearly brought us back to a miracle comeback. Bonehead Barry ended that chance after going nuts on the non PI call o Irvin from Sanders. Those cowboys teams were a machine which unfortunately came apart because of the egos of Jerry and Jimmy. If Jimmy stayed they would have won more super bowls for sure as he was so good at drafting and motivating players. 

6 hours ago, cromagnum said:

One of the best games I saw aikman play was the loss to the 49ers in 94. He took a beating that game but kept slinging it and nearly brought us back to a miracle comeback. Bonehead Barry ended that chance after going nuts on the non PI call o Irvin from Sanders. Those cowboys teams were a machine which unfortunately came apart because of the egos of Jerry and Jimmy. If Jimmy stayed they would have won more super bowls for sure as he was so good at drafting and motivating players. 

Many thought the salary cap era would have doomed him. Not sure I remember that accurately or if true.

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

this passes the eye test. Our OL is atrocious this year.

Curious where 14 ranks among other QBs with a similar amount of drop backs. 

Also, some blame our old OL coach, some blame our OL, some blame Dak... but how much blame does SL get? Seems like the play design is doomed from the start sometimes 

Just now, DaBoys said:

Curious where 14 ranks among other QBs with a similar amount of drop backs. 

Also, some blame our old OL coach, some blame our OL, some blame Dak... but how much blame does SL get? Seems like the play design is doomed from the start sometimes 

I hate SL. Hate. Garrett's biggest flaw has been keeping SL. Ive watched the all22, I dont understand how SL has a job.

Archived