Dak - Grown Man

textaz03

2 hours ago, quiller said:

I totally rethought my whole approach and this want to draft the best available offensive skilled reciever available 2nd be it TE (1st choice) or WR.   If no one really sticks out to me as a potential game changer then go with a replacement for Heath

and for the record I never was expecting to find a REPLACEMENT for A healthy Smith rd 2.  Instead I wanted a better option then we have NOW to play when Smith  misses his 3-4  games and plays HURT in another 1-2 games  and can also help should our RT be hurt

So in other words, WEAPONS!!!!

I'm down.

9 hours ago, HDsportsfan said:

yea, but we haven't had much luck picking those 2nd round TE's in the past,.

It depends on how you look at it. Were they very successful with us? No. But have we been successful picking quality TEs in the 2nd? Absolutely.

The biggest problem has been Witten imo. Anthony Fasano picked way back in 2006 went on to have a pretty decent career despite only being here two years. He had 7 TDs the very year after he left Wittens shadow. He proved to be a sure handed and durable TE who played all the way up to last season. And obviously Marty Bs' four years here were a joke, but the fact that he went over 700 yards and 5 TDs in three of the next five years, over 600 yards in four of those years, and went over 900 yards once in those next 5 years, leads me to believe Witten had the most to do with his Dallas struggles.

Escobar flashed potential before his injury but yes he to was overwhelmed by Witten. Still he had a 4 TD season with us, just the same as Marty B. 

Witten himself was selected in the 3rd. It's a good spot to get a TE. 

TE is a position that is rarely drafted with a first round pick. There have only been 9 TEs taken with a 1st round pick in the last 11 years. Many times the drafts best TE prospect is a round 2 pick.

In the last 11 years some 2nd/3rd round TEs include:

Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, Jordan Reed, Jermichael Finley, Kyle Rudolph, Zach Ertz, Travis Kelce, Vance McDonald, Hunter Henry, Jace Amaro, Dallas Goedert, Mike Gesicki, Austin Hooper, Adam Shaheen, Mark Andrews, Jared Cook, Martellus Bennett, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, 

Just to give you an idea.

4 hours ago, DaBoys said:

TE is a position that is rarely drafted with a first round pick. There have only been 9 TEs taken with a 1st round pick in the last 11 years. Many times the drafts best TE prospect is a round 2 pick.

In the last 11 years some 2nd/3rd round TEs include:

Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, Jordan Reed, Jermichael Finley, Kyle Rudolph, Zach Ertz, Travis Kelce, Vance McDonald, Hunter Henry, Jace Amaro, Dallas Goedert, Mike Gesicki, Austin Hooper, Adam Shaheen, Mark Andrews, Jared Cook, Martellus Bennett, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, 

Just to give you an idea.

do you have a favorite of this year's class yet???

12 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

I'm down.

Exactly.   I think for the next two years after rethinking and looking hard at basic stats I feel we will benefit more by drafting pass recievers of high quality that can create mismatches down field.    

While I do feel our OL could be a lot better I am okay with using FA help to cover for Smith when he is hurt  and hope that c Williams will also get some work this offseason working on strength and improving technique  and maybe even a tackle work

i also am using the two Seattle games as a basis for this change of mind as well as the dramatic decrease in sack rate I saw when we added Cooper

On 1/8/2019 at 8:20 PM, resilient part 2 said:

I'm down.

I think that’s really the key, here. Quincy’s mediocrity as a player requires is to surround him with a ton of weapons. In my opinion, TE is the far greater need, but any talented receiver would be a benefit to him.

5 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Did you bother reading the article? It's interesting analysis - felt it was (like all stats) flawed. But certainly a better metric than current QBR. 

Most metrics are better than QBR. And, it’s indeed flawed. I can’t think of a single person who would claim that Quincy is a better QB than Tom Brady or Ben Roelisberger.

7 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Most metrics are better than QBR. And, it’s indeed flawed. I can’t think of a single person who would claim that Quincy is a better QB than Tom Brady or Ben Roelisberger.

It's interesting, because that wasn't the push-back I had. In fact, I consider Brady pretty middle-of-the-pack this year. I would have pushed back more on Wentz being as high as he is. Rodgers, I think landed nicely.  He hasn't done as well in years past, but I don't think anyone would take any other QB in the league aside from him.

10 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Brady and Ben have had down years compared to their reputations. 

35 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Brady and Ben have had down years compared to their reputations. 

Very true, especially for Brady this year. I don’t think I’d say that about Big Ben with respect to his stats, but absolutely agree with you if you’re including the win/loss record into the equasion. Regardless though, I think both of them are better than Quincy.

(Warning: very poor “analysis” coming)

If we were to swap QBs with either New England or Pittsburgh, we would likely have had a better win/loss record, their stats would have been equal to or better overall (although it’s difficult to equal 5,100 passing yards and 34 TDs or call it a “down year”) than what they accomplished with their respective teams, and Quincy’s numbers would likely be inferior to what they are now. Some of that is attributed to personnel, some is attributed to the scheme they play in, and the rest is the abilities of the QBs. Quincy is a vastly inferior QB to the other two, regardless of record or numbers.

12 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I think that’s really the key, here. Quincy’s mediocrity as a player requires is to surround him with a ton of weapons. In my opinion, TE is the far greater need, but any talented receiver would be a benefit to him.

please. Every level QB needs weapons. A Rod has taken a dip since losing Gordy Nelson. Look at Brady's games with Gronk vs without. Aikman Had Novacek at least at TE, while Romo had Witten. Dak had no one on a high level until Coop came aboard. Dak may end up top 10 if they give him his "Witten"

Archived