Dak - Grown Man

textaz03

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I am explaining why we are where we are. If you want to know where I think we should go, it wouldn't be in a thread created to bash the hell out of Dak by blind homers. 

But that  conversation is for when our season ends. 

Fair enough. I just think the idea that he "needs an OL, not a defense" is not realistic given the current state of the franchise- and football itself, for that matter (effective offensive line starters are so rare nowadays that they rarely hit the free agent market, and collegiate prospects are hindered by playing in 2 point stances all the time in spread offenses- and all of this is compounded by the decreased practice time mandated by the 2011 CBA). I'm not opposed to drafting an OL on Day 2 by any stretch, but we pretty much have to ride it out with Smith-Williams-Frederick-Martin-Collins next year. Letting go of Demarcus Lawrence to sign the next Matt Kalil or Nate Solder would be asinine.

If those 5 come anywhere close to 80/80 in starts, Linehan is gone, and the passing game remains inconsistent at best... well, I suppose that is also a conversation for the future.

2 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Fair enough. I just think the idea that he "needs an OL, not a defense" is not realistic given the current state of the franchise- and football itself, for that matter (effective offensive line starters are so rare nowadays that they rarely hit the free agent market, and collegiate prospects are hindered by playing in 2 point stances all the time in spread offenses- and all of this is compounded by the decreased practice time mandated by the 2011 CBA). I'm not opposed to drafting an OL on Day 2 by any stretch, but we pretty much have to ride it out with Smith-Williams-Frederick-Martin-Collins next year. Letting go of Demarcus Lawrence to sign the next Matt Kalil or Nate Solder would be asinine.

I think your stance is reasonable. And maybe I wasnt clear - Dak needs protection at this point in his career to be a top 10 QB. The Cowboys needs more than just a top 10 Dak to win a lot of games. I recognize defense and other aspects matter tremendously. I have just been speaking to Dak specifically. 

I applaud all of those active in this thread and the couple of other threads as it relates to Dak/O-line, etc.

It has been very entertaining, seriously, no sarcasm. 

It does go to show that there are many stats out on the interwebs that can support many different arguments of the same topic.

I'm on the fence so to speak with Dak.

He is simply very good in some areas and not very good in others. It's a simple as that. What's not so simple necessarily is what needs to happen to get his "not so good" up to "kinda sorta good"(if anything or can it be done).

3 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

I applaud all of those active in this thread and the couple of others as it relates to Dak/O-line, etc.

It has been very entertaining, seriously, no sarcasm. 

It does go to show that there are many stats out on the interwebs that can support many different arguments of the same topic.

I'm on the fence so to speak with Dak.

He is simply very good and some areas and not very good in others. It's a simple as that. What's not so simple is necessarily is what needs to happen to get his "not so good" up to "kinda sorta good"(if anything or can it be done).

FWIW I want to restate my position that I dont fault anyone for being cautious on him. He gives us all some concern. He also gives us hope at times. 

My issues are with people who call/act/suggest he is a Quincy level plague. That is so absurd it makes me upset. 

One more thing on the pressure rate and our "bottom 5 OL"

I think pressure rates are highly misleading in that not all our pressures are created equal. If an OL barely gets a hand on a dude and gets whipped in half a second, there's obviously nothing the QB can do about that. But if it's more like 2.5-3 seconds, then the QB probably should've gotten rid of the ball. Plus exterior pressure can be avoided by stepping up in the pocket, which I think most agree is not a strength of Dak's. Plus what if it's all 1 OL getting beat versus 3 at the same time? That's not really equal either. I do remember plays when half our OL got whipped simultaneously this year, I'm just saying.

I agree our OL has been mediocre this year, and certainly below average in pass pro. You would have to think that'd be the case given that they've had backups all over the place all year. But bottom 5 in pass pro? Idk, man. I have a really hard time believing that that's not partially on Dak. I think PFF does record <2 second pressures, I would be curious to see where we rank in that department.

6 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I think pressure rates are highly misleading in that not all our pressures are created equal. If an OL barely gets a hand on a dude and gets whipped in half a second, there's obviously nothing the QB can do about that.

You mis read. It wast pressure rate. It was 3 former scouts who went through each game to grade pass blocking. We were 28th in pass blocking. 

I am pretty sure the Footballs Outsiders pressure rate had us at 2nd worst in the NFL.

40 minutes ago, D82 said:

If this thread is any indication, at least we'll have plenty to talk about this off-season.

idk...the whole Dak thing has become possibly the dumbest debate I've had to witness on this site. Another 6-7 months worth might push me over the edge. 

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

idk...the whole Dak thing has become possibly the dumbest debate I've had to witness on this site. Another 6-7 months worth might push me over the edge. 

You might have to get off this site and create your 19th spawn.

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You mis read. It wast pressure rate. It was 3 former scouts who went through each game to grade pass blocking. We were 28th in pass blocking. 

I am pretty sure the Footballs Outsiders pressure rate had us at 2nd worst in the NFL.

Well, ****

Colombo's got his work cut out for him

17 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

FWIW I want to restate my position that I dont fault anyone for being cautious on him. He gives us all some concern. He also gives us hope at times. 

My issues are with people who call/act/suggest he is a Quincy level plague. That is so absurd it makes me upset. 

Naw…..he's not really close to the Quincy level. That's Plan just being Plan. We're all used to it.

5 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

We once fought for 3 months on if we should sacrifice an entire draft to move up for USC WR M Williams.

9 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

Naw…..he's not really close to the Quincy level. That's Plan just being Plan. We're all used to it.

@plan9misfit has this indistinguishable ability to drive me bonkers. I think its because I respect that he is a very smart dude, while at the same times hating every thing he says. @The_Slamman used to play goalie for us. 

I just feel like some look at the effect. And others look at cause.

I have a hard time not understanding why something is what it is. 

Archived