Dak - Grown Man

textaz03

9 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Dak is a Golden God. I'm blessed I even get to talk about him

BRO...u made me spit out my tea...thanks for that! :)       The only way this team will find success with DAK is to model his game like CAM, Alex Smith and KAP. He simply too inaccurate and without any touch to run ROMO like plays. Keep the option route. It does concern me if we are going this route that we don't have similar backup QBs. I don't see RUSH or WHITE running option routes if DAK gets hurt.

We can, and have , and will no doubt continue to debate Dak.  We've heard a lot of the arguments. He doesn't put up monster stats.  He threw for under 200 yards again.  His timing is questionable.  His ability to go through his route progression is questionable.  He's got happy feet.  Yet here is one stat I came across this morning that opened my eyes.  In his 34 starts, Dak has 19 games where he has not turned the ball over.  The Cowboys record in those games?  18-1.  To me nothing defines or screams out game manager more than that stat.  If Dak does not turn the ball over we have an overwhelming chance of winning the game.

Design a Dak friendly offense.   Hand that ball off to Zeke. Give Dak decent protection.   Dak will still provide us with some head scratching throws. The stats won't be eye popping but chances are under those conditions turnovers will be limited.  And we will probably win most of those games.  At the end of the day would I like to have a generational type of talent at QB?  Sure.  But we don't have that.  But we do have a QB, who under the right conditions can manage a game.  Who cares if we win with a game manager?  All that matters is what is on the scoreboard.  We still have to evaluate his progress.  If he tanks we have a problem.  What's wrong with pedestrian stats if we manage to win?  The recipe is there for us - a strong running game and a vastly improved defense should keep us in a lot of games.  Lack of turnovers should help us win a few of them.

Remember what Jimmy Johnson said - "It's not how many good plays you make, it's how many bad plays you don't make that wins football games."  The same can be said for a lot of teams.  But it really rings true with the Cowboys and Dak.

Just some food for thought.  Have at it.

4 minutes ago, Northland said:

We can, and have , and will no doubt continue to debate Dak.  We've heard a lot of the arguments. He doesn't put up monster stats.  He threw for under 200 yards again.  His timing is questionable.  His ability to go through his route progression is questionable.  He's got happy feet.  Yet here is one stat I came across this morning that opened my eyes.  In his 34 starts, Dak has 19 games where he has not turned the ball over.  The Cowboys record in those games?  18-1.  To me nothing defines or screams out game manager more than that stat.  If Dak does not turn the ball over we have an overwhelming chance of winning the game.

Design a Dak friendly offense.   Hand that ball off to Zeke. Give Dak decent protection.   Dak will still provide us with some head scratching throws. The stats won't be eye popping but chances are under those conditions turnovers will be limited.  And we will probably win most of those games.  At the end of the day would I like to have a generational type of talent at QB?  Sure.  But we don't have that.  But we do have a QB, who under the right conditions can manage a game.  Who cares if we win with a game manager?  All that matters is what is on the scoreboard.  We still have to evaluate his progress.  If he tanks we have a problem.  What's wrong with pedestrian stats if we manage to win?  The recipe is there for us - a strong running game and a vastly improved defense should keep us in a lot of games.  Lack of turnovers should help us win a few of them.

Just some food for thought.  Have at it.

Valid points, but I would suggest that that stat might be more correlation than causation. When we have to play from behind, Dak, like any half decent QB, is more inclined to push it and force throws. Whoever wins the turnover battle overwhelming wins the contest in the NFL, but that's often because the team that plays better across the board will be in better position to force turnovers.

As you're saying though, this team has clear strengths that can lead them to victories with a defined formula. Our skill players on offense are holding us back and will continue to, but not to the point that we can't be competitive most weeks. We really need the OL to play well, which isn't the given here anymore that it's been in recent years. However, we might just have ourselves one of the top pass defenses in the NFL.

2 hours ago, textaz03 said:

Take out the 75 yarder to Austin and it’s under 100 yards passing. Passing game needs some definite work for sure! 

Perhaps I am the "last man standing" on defending Dak, but throwing out stats like this is nauseating to me. breezing through yesterday boxscores I believe only 1 QB had less pass attempts than Dak (Tannehill) with most QBs having double digits more in attempts. Many with 20+. Dak isn't asked to "gun-sling" all over the place and probably never should be. We have Zeke, for one, limited WEAPONS for another. Dak is also a very stronger runner when he needs to be. I trust him running without (much) fear of injury since he runs like a tank. 

Also as far as I can remember yesterday' game Dak threw 4 balls out of bounds to avoid a sack. One missed connection that Rico should have caught and another he threw too high (Rico). 

It seems like "micro analyzing" every bad pass on Dak has become a trend on here.  Even when he gets the job done, he "gets" it. 

Reminder, how many QBs has Dallas had of quality in the last 30 years?

Build a good team around Dak and we will win.

Our inability to move the ball consistently is going to cost us some (more) games unless they fix it. I get not caring what Daks stats are as long as we win, but letting teams hang around in games is not good.

For instance, we beat the breaks off the Giants last night and almost lost. We held Cam to 16 points and still lost.

We aren't beating Rodgers and Brady, or even Bortles playing like this. 

Our defense is good, and our run game is to, but if we want to get more than a wildcard appearance we need Dak to do more than he did last night. Because his game was just okay. It FEELS like a really good game because for him it was. But it's just a decent game for a good QB.

The fact that he was seemingly gloating about "answering the challenge" after the game was a bit surprising. It reminds of he who shall not be named.  I remember feeling good after a win and telling my stepdad how I thought he who shall not be named finally had a really good game. My stepdad, a Vikings fan, was quick to point out that his good game was 117 yards passing and some rushing yards and a good QB wouldn't be so happy about it.

21 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Perhaps I am the "last man standing" on defending Dak, but throwing out stats like this is nauseating to me. breezing through yesterday boxscores I believe only 1 QB had less pass attempts than Dak (Tannehill) with most QBs having double digits more in attempts. Many with 20+. Dak isn't asked to "gun-sling" all over the place and probably never should be. We have Zeke, for one, limited WEAPONS for another. Dak is also a very stronger runner when he needs to be. I trust him running without (much) fear of injury since he runs like a tank. 

Also as far as I can remember yesterday' game Dak threw 4 balls out of bounds to avoid a sack. One missed connection that Rico should have caught and another he threw too high (Rico). 

It seems like "micro analyzing" every bad pass on Dak has become a trend on here.  Even when he gets the job done, he "gets" it. 

Reminder, how many QBs has Dallas had of quality in the last 30 years?

Build a good team around Dak and we will win.

I am with you. For example Dak had only 1 blatantly bad throw that I remember from last night, yet many here are still pushing the inaccurate narrative. Dak only checked down a few times, yet many here are still pushing the "captain check down" narrative. 

Its like they cant see that schematically most our WRs run 5-15 yard routes meant to spread out the defense horizontally. Its like many here cant grasp the idea that our passing game is to keep us in manageable down and distances, not constant big plays. 

Guess what? 20/25 for 150 yards is a perfectly reasonable state line if all your WRs run 5-15 yard routes and none are YAC monsters. 

2 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

This is true.

The first series great throw from Dak and the last series he was outstanding....everything in between was pretty bad tbh. 

Exactly. We left too many points on the board 

We let them hang around too long. If we did that to one of the top teams we would have lost.

Archived