Dak - Grown Man

textaz03

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

You act like he is actively petitioning teams and going on tryouts and just can't seem to find work anywhere. When YOU KNOW the Ravens offered him a 3 year deal DAYS after his release, and there is an entire Hard Knocks episode dedicated to the Browns offering him a deal.

He will chose a team in the next few weeks. I don't blame him for waiting to see whos who. He wants a ring. He has his preferences. He wants to play with Brady or the Redskins, and I don't blame him for being picky. - 1

But don't act like Dez is so bad that he can't find work  2.. He had 800 yards and 6 TDs last year. We won't have a WR hit that this year. We dont have a WR half as talented as Dez. - 3

1- He might be waiting for a long time on this one.

2 - so bad on the field? No, the combination of his ego/antics with his declining play is more accurate.

3 - why I hate the coaching as well. Not acquiring WEAPONS but expecting better results.

17 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Even if Dak is in, say, the 20-25 range for starting QBs, he's still a highly valuable asset at $700k/year. From a team-building perspective, the dead money to Romo, Dez, et al and the corollary lack of talent at WR, TE, DT, and S are bigger issues. If we didn't overestimate our ability to draft and actually made forays into free agency, then we'd be in better shape this year to contend with more aggressively built teams such as PHI, LAR, MIN.

That said, if we give Dak $30M/yr in an extension starting next year? I'd say we're screwed. While his durability, ability to make calls at the line, playmaking ability on the run, relationship with his teammates, and intangibles (calm, mature, natural leader) stick out as positive traits, his accuracy, pocket mechanics, and processing speed seem pretty irreconcilable- especially with this coaching staff. Frankly, any team giving that kind of money to a QB that isn't Brady/Brees/Rodgers caliber is screwing themselves, IMO. Look no further than what happened to Detroit and Oakland this Monday.

Unless he's just a complete disaster and we earn ourselves a Top 5 pick, which I still don't anticipate, I'd give him one more year. But don't extend him early. Keep him as underpaid as possible and use our excess cap room to improve the aforementioned areas.

As constructed, our team just isn't that great, but they're not that far away either. This team would/will look a lot different if/when Frederick, Gregory and Irving return. Garrett and Linehan are the biggest problems. A McVay or Shanahan or Pederson wouldn't be churning out sub-250 yard, sub-10 point games with this offensive personnel, IMO. They'd at least have us within range of scoring occasionally, as opposed to going entire halves without crossing midfield.

finally a reasonably well thought out reply on here.

43 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Even if Dak is in, say, the 20-25 range for starting QBs, he's still a highly valuable asset at $700k/year. From a team-building perspective, the dead money to Romo, Dez, et al and the corollary lack of talent at WR, TE, DT, and S are bigger issues. If we didn't overestimate our ability to draft and actually made forays into free agency, then we'd be in better shape this year to contend with more aggressively built teams such as PHI, LAR, MIN.

That said, if we give Dak $30M/yr in an extension starting next year? I'd say we're screwed. While his durability, ability to make calls at the line, playmaking ability on the run, relationship with his teammates, and intangibles (calm, mature, natural leader) stick out as positive traits, his accuracy, pocket mechanics, and processing speed seem pretty irreconcilable- especially with this coaching staff. Frankly, any team giving that kind of money to a QB that isn't Brady/Brees/Rodgers caliber is screwing themselves, IMO. Look no further than what happened to Detroit and Oakland this Monday.

Unless he's just a complete disaster and we earn ourselves a Top 5 pick, which I still don't anticipate, I'd give him one more year. But don't extend him early. Keep him as underpaid as possible and use our excess cap room to improve the aforementioned areas.

As constructed, our team just isn't that great, but they're not that far away either. This team would/will look a lot different if/when Frederick, Gregory and Irving return. Garrett and Linehan are the biggest problems. A McVay or Shanahan or Pederson wouldn't be churning out sub-250 yard, sub-10 point games with this offensive personnel, IMO. They'd at least have us within range of scoring occasionally, as opposed to going entire halves without crossing midfield.

That's great in theory, and I would be all for building up the team while Dak is on the cheap, but we don't start capitalizing on that until next year. This is Daks 3rd year, and his whole career we have been strapped for cash. We don't, did not, and will not have a situation like Seattle and Wilson, where we are able to spend money else where because our QB is cheap.

Yeah we haven't brought in free agents, but we have been bottom 5 or 10 in cap space during FA for as long as I seem to remember. 

And it would be great if the FO saw things the way you do but they don't. They aren't making roster decisions as if Dak is a place holder. They are making decisions as if Dak can win by his self. Things like cutting Dez, not offering him a pay cut. It was pretty obvious to me that they wanted Dez out so Dak could lead. That's not a decision that screams "my QB is 20-25 range." 

Furthermore SJ said that they have already planned on Daks big contract, saying that he "sees guys who maybe aren't Aaron Rodgers still get paid, we know that and we have already planned on that."

That was back in May, but yesterday Jerry Jones says that Dak is somewhere in between Goff and Cam. Two former #1 overall picks. That misevaluation, makes me sick to my stomach.

So yeah, fine if you recognize that Dak is a bottom 10 QB and you funnel your roster decisions, and gameplan through different strengths, but they clearly don't feel that way. 

Game on the line week one, and Zeke doesn't get a touch, because he isn't their guy. He isn't their super star. Dak is.

If Dak continues to do poorly everybody and their momma is getting fired before Daks seat gets warm.

There's no way anyone could watch Dak Prescott play football and think he is a good quarterback.  I live in Texas and watch every Cowboys game.  Prescott is closer to Tyrod Taylor as a player, except he's nowhere near the runner that Taylor is.

To be fair, I think the coaching in Dallas is very poor and there isn't many weapons at the receiving positions.  However, Prescott just looks really mediocre at best.

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

There's no way anyone could watch Dak Prescott play football and think he is a good quarterback.  I live in Texas and watch every Cowboys game.  Prescott is closer to Tyrod Taylor as a player, except he's nowhere near the runner that Taylor is.

To be fair, I think the coaching in Dallas is very poor and their isn't many weapons at the receiving positions.  However, Prescott just looks really mediocre at best.

so 25 above average to really good games, followed by 9 poor games (coinciding with key injuries, suspensions and bad coaching) = mediocre at best??

and how many QBs would excel in this situation?

Just now, resilient part 2 said:

so 25 above average to really good games, followed by 9 poor games (coinciding with key injuries, suspensions and bad coaching) = mediocre at best??

If he's not mediocre then what is he?  Look at the body of work over his last 10 games.  He's been mediocre at best.  But hey, if you want to continue to hang on to what happened in 2016 then by all means.  Last I checked, we're in September of 2018, though.

8 minutes ago, showtime said:

If he's not mediocre then what is he?  Look at the body of work over his last 10 games.  He's been mediocre at best.  But hey, if you want to continue to hang on to what happened in 2016 then by all means.  Last I checked, we're in September of 2018, though.

for a good part of 2017 he was fine as well. situations are different and DAK has to play better regardless of situation. But people/fans writing him off so easy is both comical and infuriating IYAM.

@DaBoys, you're probably right. I think we kept the powder dry in FA this year in anticipation of paying Dak, Zeke, D-Law, etc. next spring, rather than spending out the arse to bring in outside free agents for the first time in forever. They seem allergic to that sort of team-building strategy. I think this team's chemistry is too fragile under Garrett.

My hope is that a new coaching staff instills a new philosophy, compels the higher-ups to change their ways. But the build from within approach seems too ingrained into the organization, too much so to even get rid of Garrett. All we can do is hope there's some way out, that we're not in purgatory. But we probably are.

21 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

so 25 above average to really good games, followed by 9 REALLY poor games  = mediocre at best??

Yes. That's damn near the definition.

21 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Philip Rivers

Carson Wentz(before ACL idk bout now)

Cam Newton

Russell Wilson(has been excelling with less weapons and way less OL talent)

Big Ben 

Matt Ryan

Andrew Luck

Jimmy G

Deshaun Watson

I think all those guys do better than Dak. Then there's some guys that might do better:

Cousins

Jared Goff

Joe Flacco 

Alex Smith

Jamis Winston (and Ryan Fitzpatrick?)

Sam Darnold

Sam Bradford

Nick Foles

Josh Rosen

Patrick Mohmes

Tyrod Taylor

Probably Mitch Trubisky

Probably Lamar Jackson

Probably Baker Mayfield 

Matt Stafford could probably be better

Case Keenum has a case

Derek Carr could at least compete with Dak

Eli could probably still beat him out for a job if he had our OL.

Andy Dalton could compare

Same with Ryan Tanehill.

So that's 12 QBs that are definitively better and 20 others that are possibly better or just as good. 

32 teams in the league. That's mediocre. At best

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

Yes. That's damn near the definition.

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Philip Rivers

Carson Wentz(before ACL idk bout now)

Cam Newton

Russell Wilson(has been excelling with less weapons and way less OL talent)

Big Ben 

Matt Ryan

Andrew Luck

Jimmy G

Deshaun Watson

I think all those guys do better than Dak. Then there's some guys that might do better:

Cousins

Jared Goff

Joe Flacco 

Alex Smith

Jamis Winston (and Ryan Fitzpatrick?)

Sam Darnold

Sam Bradford

Nick Foles

Josh Rosen

Patrick Mohmes

Tyrod Taylor

Probably Mitch Trubisky

Probably Lamar Jackson

Probably Baker Mayfield 

Matt Stafford could probably be better

Case Keenum has a case

Derek Carr could at least compete with Dak

Eli could probably still beat him out for a job if he had our OL.

Andy Dalton could compare

Same with Ryan Tanehill.

So that's 12 QBs that are definitively better and 20 others that a possibly better or just as good. 

32 teams in the league. That's mediocre. At best

this made me LOL. This is pure speculation at best. but whatever floats your boat. signing out now. will be back tonight.

3 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

this made me LOL. This is pure speculation at best. but whatever floats your boat. signing out now. will be back tonight.

Ok. Pure speculation that guys like Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees would be better than Dak Prescott with our OL and Zeke.  Who are Brady's WRs? Has he had the same ones for 18 years? Nope. Pure speculation on my part.

15 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Ok. Pure speculation that guys like Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees would be better than Dak Prescott with our OL and Zeke.  Who are Brady's WRs? Has he had the same ones for 18 years? Nope. Pure speculation on my part.

Jesus I'm trying to get away in the meantime of course all time Hall of Fame quarterbacks with do better than that that part is not speculation however I am willing to bet or speculate that each one of those four great quarterbacks would do much better in their current system than in the Dallas Cowboys system but that is just my speculation

On 9/9/2018 at 8:04 PM, plan9misfit said:

I never saw the hype wth Dak, and don’t see anything in his game which suggests that he has any business in the NFL.

I must say, while everyone was drinking the kool aid his first year,  you were trumpeting the fact that he wasn't an NFL QB.    I thought he could possibly become a solid nfl starter,  but would need years to develop.   I don't think we have the coaching staff to do that.   That said, it's all Dez's fault! :)

2 hours ago, showtime said:

To be fair, I think the coaching in Dallas is very poor and there isn't many weapons at the receiving positions.  However, Prescott just looks really mediocre at best.

Agreed on all points.  

7 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

I must say, while everyone was drinking the kool aid his first year,  you were trumpeting the fact that he wasn't an NFL QB.    I thought he could possibly become a solid nfl starter,  but would need years to develop.   I don't think we have the coaching staff to do that.   That said, it's all Dez's fault! :)

I’m glad that someone remembers. 

Archived