2019 NFL Draft/College Thread

ttitansfan4life

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

Plus I’m a firm believer in drafting this best player available & not drafting on need.

Absolutely. Once you start reaching for need as opposed to just drafting the BPA on your board you get in trouble and tend to pass on more talented players just to fill a hole. I'd definitely like to fill some of our major Defensive needs before the draft though if we can to really free ourselves up to truly be able to go BPA.

I'm still trying to figure out what the best route is for us to take with our interior OL this year.  Spain will probably price himself out of town, Kline/Jones are both underperforming, but there aren't a ton of stellar options in FA or the draft. Erik McCoy is probably my favorite center prospect, but I'd be surprised if we actually have the type of interior OL turnover that we probably need to have in one offseason just based off of the overall lack of clear upgrades available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Reading the tea leaves, Hockenson probably won't be there at 19 now.  I can see several teams taking him before our pick.  ( Lions, Bills or Panthers).

It’s all about addressing needs on FA, as we’ve seen Robinson’s isn’t afraid to trade up & get his guy. Conklin & Evans 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Reading the tea leaves, Hockenson probably won't be there at 19 now.  I can see several teams taking him before our pick.  ( Lions, Bills or Panthers).

Many said similar things about Howard (and Njoku too I think).  Some were calling for Howard at 5.. and others even had Njoku rated higher than I know the position has evolved and is as important as it's ever been... but I still think its a position, that like G is undervalued in the draft.  I haven't gone back to research this, but you'll probably find both of those positions as relatively safe, in terms of bust potential... and you'll probably also find heavy value in the mid rounds.

Just lookig at the top TE names, you find most of them drafted outside the 1st round. Gronk, Kelce, Ertz, Walker, Graham, Kittle, etc.  Of course there could be an outlier... but with such a deep draft at the edge and DL position... positions typically/historically regarded with a higher priority.... I don't think has this meteoric rise.  He should still be a first rounder, but he may fall past the teens .  Other than Howard, I wonder what TE was the last to go in the top 20 picks recently? 

Hockenson looks good, but I don't think he's a generational talent... I don't even know if he's more highly regarded than Howard going into their respective drafts. 

19 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Many said similar things about Howard (and Njoku too I think).  Some were calling for Howard at 5.. and others even had Njoku rated higher than I know the position has evolved and is as important as it's ever been... but I still think its a position, that like G is undervalued in the draft.  I haven't gone back to research this, but you'll probably find both of those positions as relatively safe, in terms of bust potential... and you'll probably also find heavy value in the mid rounds.

Just lookig at the top TE names, you find most of them drafted outside the 1st round. Gronk, Kelce, Ertz, Walker, Graham, Kittle, etc.  Of course there could be an outlier... but with such a deep draft at the edge and DL position... positions typically/historically regarded with a higher priority.... I don't think has this meteoric rise.  He should still be a first rounder, but he may fall past the teens .  Other than Howard, I wonder what TE was the last to go in the top 20 picks recently? 

Hockenson looks good, but I don't think he's a generational talent... I don't even know if he's more highly regarded than Howard going into their respective drafts. 

Eric Ebron went #10.  He has proven to be a weapon in Indy. Detroit not so much. 

21 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Good points.  I'd count Firsker as a WR in the roster building process.  Maybe see he can slim down a few pounds.  I love Hockenson. I loved George Kittle coming out too. Something about those Iowa TEs. 

I loved Kittle as well but I think he had production and size concerns. Even then, I still thought he was a 3rd rounder.

I wanted Firkser to try an H-Back role similar to how Washington used Chris Cooley. He wouldn't even have to be as featured as Cooley was as we have other TEs in front of him.

IDK if he'll ever block well enough though, even as a move blocker off the line of scrimmage.

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Eric Ebron went #10.  He has proven to be a weapon in Indy. Detroit not so much. 

The TD's were insane... but his production wasn't completely insane.  He missed 3 games during the 2016 season, but his per game rec and yards were ahead of what he did last year.  His catch rate was also the lowest of his career since his rookie year.  Luck is a significantly better QB than Stafford, so his production could improve... although Ihis TD rate will be hard to replicate (although again, with someone like Luck, anything is possible).

Either way, even after that insane TD production, I wouldn't say it justified his top 10 selection.  Before Ebron you have almost a decade and a half to find the last TE's drafted in the top 10... Vernon Davis (06) and Kellen Winslow (04).  Since then, there have been 6 TEs drafted in the top 25... Brandon Pettigrew, Jermaine Gresham, Tyler Eifert, Ebron, Howard, and Hayden Hurst.  Not exactly a who's who list at TEs.  I think that compared with the value that can be found in those mid rounds, pushes TE's down a bit. 

I wouldn't hate it if we took him at 19... but I think we have way far more pressing needs, and there should be prospects worth that pick at those positions. 

36 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

The TD's were insane... but his production wasn't completely insane.  He missed 3 games during the 2016 season, but his per game rec and yards were ahead of what he did last year.  His catch rate was also the lowest of his career since his rookie year.  Luck is a significantly better QB than Stafford, so his production could improve... although Ihis TD rate will be hard to replicate (although again, with someone like Luck, anything is possible).

Either way, even after that insane TD production, I wouldn't say it justified his top 10 selection.  Before Ebron you have almost a decade and a half to find the last TE's drafted in the top 10... Vernon Davis (06) and Kellen Winslow (04).  Since then, there have been 6 TEs drafted in the top 25... Brandon Pettigrew, Jermaine Gresham, Tyler Eifert, Ebron, Howard, and Hayden Hurst.  Not exactly a who's who list at TEs.  I think that compared with the value that can be found in those mid rounds, pushes TE's down a bit. 

I wouldn't hate it if we took him at 19... but I think we have way far more pressing needs, and there should be prospects worth that pick at those positions. 

Again this is why you should address your needs via FA & draft best player available according to your draft board. Drafting for need 9 out 10 will backfire. 

2 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Again this is why you should address your needs via FA & draft best player available according to your draft board. Drafting for need 9 out 10 will backfire. 

Just in case you didn't read it right.... "I wouldn't hate it if we took him at 19... but I think we have way far more pressing needs, and there should be prospects worth that pick at those positions

Edited by ragevsuall17
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TitanSS said:

I loved Kittle as well but I think he had production and size concerns. Even then, I still thought he was a 3rd rounder.

I wanted Firkser to try an H-Back role similar to how Washington used Chris Cooley. He wouldn't even have to be as featured as Cooley was as we have other TEs in front of him.

IDK if he'll ever block well enough though, even as a move blocker off the line of scrimmage.

Hopefully Arthur Smith has something in the works.   If H-back is not in the plans, maybe he can work as a TE/Slot, similar to how Graham has been used (or was used earlier in his career with NO).

I like Firkser too.  I think he could create some matchup problems if used correctly.

12 hours ago, TitanSS said:

We have too many needs to address even half of them in what may shape up to be a historically shallow FA pool.

Once tags go out and some guys are resigned, it's going to be ugly.

I've been critical of JRob before for putting himself into a corner at the draft.  He's gone in with obvious needs.  He's done a good job of moving around and not reach for that need at his spot (he's traded down/up where he feels his targeted player is worth). 

I see the following as the obvious needs this offseason:

1. DL
  2. Pass rusher
  3. WR
  4. Interior OL

Our DL has gone from a strength not too long ago to just Casey.  Maybe Daquan gets his feet back this season after the '17 injury. Maybe my boy Austin takes a step forward... but those aren't guaranteed.  We can stand to upgrade both starting positions here... 1 for sure.  Wilkerson could maybe be had at a discount.

I really like Correa and Finch, I just don't know if I like them to start... they're great depth/role players though.  I've said it from the start, but this is the one area I would like the FO to shell out the big bucks.  If we go with a value move here (Smith, Barr if he comes in cheaper than I exoect), it could leave some room to also upgrade DL with a decent name.  Maybe allows us to go after someone like Richardson instead of WIlkerson).

We also need another weapon at WR.  Tate, Cobb, Crowder are at the top of my list.  I think we need veteran leadership and that's why I list Tate and Cobb above Crowder, but I really like him and may be my favorite inspite of that.  I believe Tyrell will price himself out, and other outside options like DT or Crabtree don't look too enticing.

We'll need to replace Spain for sure.  A C is also an option, and Jones could slide over to G.  Kline could also be upgraded, especially at his price tag.  It's likely they bring in a value veteran to compete with Levin, Pamphile, and hopefully an early/mid draft pick.