SNF: Bears @ Packers (AKA: The Richest Game in America)

Small Town Values

Who Wins?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Bears
    • Packers
    • Tied Game

2 hours ago, SBLIII said:

When you look at it you have to ask yourself why this is even possible to have such bad backup QBs. They literally cannot score with out AR and that's with Davante Adams, Jimmy Graham and Randall Cobb as weapons. That's a pretty damn good supporting cast. But Hundley has no business even being on an NFL roster neither does Kizer. Both are absolutely awful.

Seeing that there aren't 32 decent starting QBs in this league it is asking a lot to expect teams to have a competent backup.  I suppose if we had signed a veteran like Fitzgerald or had someone like Foles we wouldn't worry so but these guys are the exception rather than the rule.

3 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

im confused by all ybe trubisky hate, he had some really nice throws yesterday. overall thought he looked ok.

i also saw where someone said the pack would be better off trading rodgers and rolling with kizer... this place can be awful sometimes.

I agree with this.  I thought Trubisky looked pretty good for a second year quarterback playing on a huge stage (road game, at night, on national tv, against his team's most hated division rival).  People have to remember that this was Week 1 of the regular season.  Offenses will all start to improve as the season wears on. 

Trubs will be fine. I don't know if he'll ever be a real star, but he has proved he's a worthy starter. He's still a kid who has started a handful of games. Bears fans need to be patient with him and recognize that he will likely improve, but he's going to come up short a fair amount of time in the meantime.

He's lucky he's got such a good defense to help, and that defense won't have to deal with Rodgers every week. 

Rodgers is already a first ballot hall of famer, and now he's just adding to his legend. He's by far the most talented QB I've seen play the game in the 25 years or so I've been watching. He's not perfect, and others have been able to do things he hasn't, and some have more rings, but I've never seen a guy throw the ball so well for so long. 

11 hours ago, TENINCH said:
  • Ian O'ConnorVerified account @Ian_OConnor 8h8 hours ago

Tom Brady once told an NFL coach, if Aaron Rodgers had Patriots' offensive scheme & institutional knowledge on opposing defenses, "He'd throw for 7,000 yards every year. He's so much more talented than me."

There is likely some truth to this as allot of Pack fans believe that in recent years MM has held AR and the team back either with is inability to reel AR in or to expand his playbook to better utilize him.

I also don't think really anyone would argue that Tom Brady is anywhere near the most talented QB ever, considering his physical abilities.

He's never been fast, never had an especially strong arm (it's strong enough), he's accurate but not the most accurate. 

He just doesn't have any weaknesses in his game and does everything at a really high, but not highest, level. He's just so well rounded and consistent that he's near impossible to beat. 

On 9/10/2018 at 7:33 AM, SBLIII said:

When you look at it you have to ask yourself why this is even possible to have such bad backup QBs. They literally cannot score with out AR and that's with Davante Adams, Jimmy Graham and Randall Cobb as weapons. That's a pretty damn good supporting cast. But Hundley has no business even being on an NFL roster neither does Kizer. Both are absolutely awful.

I actually disagree. I think the past several years have proven that the Packers essentially blow without Rodgers, no matter who the backup is. I don't think the backups have been great, but it's been shown that his "high-caliber" weapons aren't necessarily that.

I think Jordy Nelson stands out as a guy who was a GREAT receiver independent of his QB. You could see it. Of course he also benefited from Rodgers.

Cobb, however? When he doesn't have another receiver taking heat off, and DBs can just key on him, he's been immensely disappointing, which pains me to say because he's such a likeable dude. He can't consistently get separation from DBs, and doesn't have the physicality, body control, or athleticism to beat a catch a ball when covered by a good CB.

I think I have yet to get a great read on how good Davante Adams is. Took him a few years to break through, but he's been a TD machine the past couple of years, and looks to be a good outside guy. I think (I'd like to think), that he's closer to being good regardless of QB rather than a product of an all-universe QB, but I'm not sure yet.

And...Jimmy Graham? 2018 Jimmy Graham? Are you high? Maybe he turns back the clock this year, but he hasn't looked like a truly dangerous weapon in like 5 years.

On 9/10/2018 at 10:03 AM, jontat83 said:

Packers have a system that pretty much only Rodgers can operate efficiently and even then it's kind of stale in this era and relies on his brilliance.

We're going on like 5 straight years, and the better part of the last decade (essentially his entire career as a starter), where the Packers' strategy appears to be, "Field a completely subpar squad, don't meaningfully improve the team in any way, and just hope that Rodgers can go God Mode in every single game". The scary thing is, it often gets close to working.

McCarthy should be kicking at least half of his stupid paycheck to Rodgers.

2 hours ago, DannyB said:

We're going on like 5 straight years, and the better part of the last decade (essentially his entire career as a starter), where the Packers' strategy appears to be, "Field a completely subpar squad, don't meaningfully improve the team in any way, and just hope that Rodgers can go God Mode in every single game". The scary thing is, it often gets close to working.

Realistically, he probably should’ve been fired a couple years ago. I kind of feel bad for Aaron, although I do like seeing him lose. 

9 hours ago, DannyB said:

Highly doubt Mac sits Aaron down and says "here is the offense that you're going to run."

I think the iso-matchup based offense is what Aaron likes. I think he wants to extend plays and would regardless of scheme he was in. The fact that his numbers with the calf, hammy and now knee are so insane proves that if he would just trust his receivers a bit more, there would be no stopping this offense. His biggest weakness is that he's so programmed to avoid a turnover that he'll take a sack instead of throwing a ball to a guy like Tae or Graham and trusting him to make the play. It's what's led to every injury I can think of. I don't think he's ever gotten hurt on a 3-5 step drop where the OL got schooled, the OL gets all the blame for the injuries but it's Rodgers holding the ball that's led to all of them.

46 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Highly doubt Mac sits Aaron down and says "here is the offense that you're going to run."

I think the iso-matchup based offense is what Aaron likes. I think he wants to extend plays and would regardless of scheme he was in. The fact that his numbers with the calf, hammy and now knee are so insane proves that if he would just trust his receivers a bit more, there would be no stopping this offense. His biggest weakness is that he's so programmed to avoid a turnover that he'll take a sack instead of throwing a ball to a guy like Tae or Graham and trusting him to make the play. It's what's led to every injury I can think of. I don't think he's ever gotten hurt on a 3-5 step drop where the OL got schooled, the OL gets all the blame for the injuries but it's Rodgers holding the ball that's led to all of them.

I agree. Now - building on your comment - if necessary, do you think Kizer capable of executing a similar "quick release" or "YAC based" passing game?
Could be wrong, but I think he can. I think the tools are there - in which case your first comment comes back into play (IMO): Mac sits Kizer down and says "here is the offense that you're going to run."

Archived