Injuries thread (Update: Fluellen to IR.)

titans0021

28 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I think it comes down to the type of throws he can and cannot make. If the throw requires a ton of velocity, he can't make it. Dink and dunk/short stuff, he's probably fine on.

It's a question of "Is Mariota who can only throw half the passes in the playbook better than Woodside", and the answer is probably yes.

So thinking about it I can buy going with Mariota as the #2 as you didn't really know he wouldn't be able be good to go until Wednesday/Thursday last week..however, not signing a Matt Moore, Mark Sanchez, etc type this week to back up Gabbert when they'd have the full week to learn the playbook this week is a bit beyond me.

my issue is our passing game was massively handicapped with gabbert. if it's going to be even worse with mariota, how can you possibly justify keeping him active, or feel confident in his ability to play? i know to some extent we were working around our offensive line on sunday, but i dunno....

36 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

my issue is our passing game was massively handicapped with gabbert. if it's going to be even worse with mariota, how can you possibly justify keeping him active, or feel confident in his ability to play? i know to some extent we were working around our offensive line on sunday, but i dunno....

Our passing game was handicapped because we had a practice squad RT and a backup LT in the game against JJ Watt and Whitney Mercilus so pretty much everything we threw was within 10 yards of the LOS.

I thought Gabbert actually played really well yesterday. Drops hurt his stats, and had he not been hit right as he threw a pass, he would have had at least another 25+ yarder to Corey Davis. When he was asked to make intermediate throws he was pretty accurate overall I thought. I feel we got way too reliant on the run game at times, but I understood trying to just hold on to the lead we had. But when we needed a FG to tie and FG to win? Gabbert made the throws he had to make.

I mean Gabbert's issue even on a bad day isn't his arm strength/velocity/etc. He's got one of the better arms in the NFL(the two throws to Sharpe over the middle showed that off quite well,  unfortunately Sharpe only caught one, but fortunately the one he did catch was the far more important one. His issues on his bad days are generally related to decision making.

If we do end up having to start him again vs Jacksonville, I'm hopeful we at least have Lewan back. I wanna see what Gabbert can do when the playbook is opened up a little more. We can all make fun of how awful he was for Jacksonville and what not, but he's never had a good offensive coordinator before either. We seem to have a pretty good one in LaFleur. A week of him getting all the first team reps, a more open playbook thanks to the return of Lewan and potentially Kelly and I look forward to seeing him make some more downfield throws. Cause when he had to yesterday, they were pretty damn good.

Of course this week the secondary we're gonna face is a lot better than the Texans, so that could certainly throw a wrinkle in to things, but based off of how Gabbert played yesterday I'm not very doom and gloom about him having to start if that is indeed the case. If Gabbert can keep making throws like he did and we can give him better time with Lewan and maybe Kelly back, the offense should be OK.

25 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Our passing game was handicapped because we had a practice squad RT and a backup LT in the game against JJ Watt and Whitney Mercilus so pretty much everything we threw was within 10 yards of the LOS.

I thought Gabbert actually played really well yesterday. Drops hurt his stats, and had he not been hit right as he threw a pass, he would have had at least another 25+ yarder to Corey Davis. When he was asked to make intermediate throws he was pretty accurate overall I thought. I feel we got way too reliant on the run game at times, but I understood trying to just hold on to the lead we had. But when we needed a FG to tie and FG to win? Gabbert made the throws he had to make.

I mean Gabbert's issue even on a bad day isn't his arm strength/velocity/etc. He's got one of the better arms in the NFL(the two throws to Sharpe over the middle showed that off quite well,  unfortunately Sharpe only caught one, but fortunately the one he did catch was the far more important one. His issues on his bad days are generally related to decision making.

If we do end up having to start him again vs Jacksonville, I'm hopeful we at least have Lewan back. I wanna see what Gabbert can do when the playbook is opened up a little more. We can all make fun of how awful he was for Jacksonville and what not, but he's never had a good offensive coordinator before either. We seem to have a pretty good one in LaFleur. A week of him getting all the first team reps, a more open playbook thanks to the return of Lewan and potentially Kelly and I look forward to seeing him make some more downfield throws. Cause when he had to yesterday, they were pretty damn good.

Of course this week the secondary we're gonna face is a lot better than the Texans, so that could certainly throw a wrinkle in to things, but based off of how Gabbert played yesterday I'm not very doom and gloom about him having to start if that is indeed the case. If Gabbert can keep making throws like he did and we can give him better time with Lewan and maybe Kelly back, the offense should be OK.

Idk if I share your confidence in Gabbert, but I do in the conservative calls.

Drew Bress had the fastest average release time last week at just over 2.0 seconds.

Gabbert was second at 2.13 seconds.

We clearly came into the game thinking he was in danger of getting killed and we game-planned getting the ball out fast.

It wasn't very effective, and I even complained about it at the time, but one 5-step dropback that leads to a strip sack and we lose. It would be ao easy to see that it wasn't working and try to open up the passing game to move the ball, but it would have been risky, so kudos to them for sticking to it.

For all the praise people have been giving our backup OL, what I saw was an OL that couldn't block anything and a coaching staff that decided to take them out of the game whether we moved the ball successfully or not. JJ Watt literally lived in our backfield whether it was a run or a pass. It was not a well-blocked game for the most part.

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

Idk if I share your confidence in Gabbert, but I do in the conservative calls.

Drew Bress had the fastest average release time last week at just over 2.0 seconds.

Gabbert was second at 2.13 seconds.

We clearly came into the game thinking he was in danger of getting killed and we game-planned getting the ball out fast.

It wasn't very effective, and I even complained about it at the time, but one 5-step dropback that leads to a strip sack and we lose. It would be ao easy to see that it wasn't working and try to open up the passing game to move the ball, but it would have been risky, so kudos to them for sticking to it.

For all the praise people have been giving our backup OL, what I saw was an OL that couldn't block anything and a coaching staff that decided to take them out of the game whether we moved the ball successfully or not. JJ Watt literally lived in our backfield whether it was a run or a pass. It was not a well-blocked game for the most part.

I mean, it's JJ Watt. He tends to do that. haha 

3 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I think it comes down to the type of throws he can and cannot make. If the throw requires a ton of velocity, he can't make it. Dink and dunk/short stuff, he's probably fine on.

It's a question of "Is Mariota who can only throw half the passes in the playbook better than Woodside", and the answer is probably yes.

So thinking about it I can buy going with Mariota as the #2 as you didn't really know he wouldn't be able be good to go until Wednesday/Thursday last week..however, not signing a Matt Moore, Mark Sanchez, etc type this week to back up Gabbert when they'd have the full week to learn the playbook this week is a bit beyond me.

Exactly to the bold part.  He can play. He isn't 100%.  He can make throws but not all the throws our do them all effectively.  He is ultimately a better option than any QB they could bring in, based on what they have seen and what they know about his health.

Which is why they haven't signed someone else or brought up Woodside has been here what a few weeks?  He isn't a realistic option apparently.  And going back to the first point, Marcus isn't too bad where he couldn't play, but he isn't all the way. 

Last week I kept seeing this article on FB comparing Mariota's injury to some dude's who ended his career with a similar injury. I dismissed it as bs, bait click... but with how they're describing it, and thinking back on a bud who suffered a similar injury at work, there's gotta be at least some worry. 

Doctors told him he'd be fine in a few weeks... he was a field guy but was reassigned while it healed .... well, it was 2 years later and he never regained feeling in that hand. No pain, and he was fine for the most part, but there were some tools he just couldn't grip/use and he ran the risk of getting hurt (since he had no feeling) since his job required reaching and installing water meters, etc.

I think that's similar to where Mariota's. He probably feels no pain, probably can do most things... but if he can't grip the ball well or can't do certain things with the ball in hand, there's no improvement there until...well... until there's improvement there. 

5 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Last week I kept seeing this article on FB comparing Mariota's injury to some dude's who ended his career with a similar injury. I dismissed it as bs, bait click... but with how they're describing it, and thinking back on a bud who suffered a similar injury at work, there's gotta be at least some worry. 

Doctors told him he'd be fine in a few weeks... he was a field guy but was reassigned while it healed .... well, it was 2 years later and he never regained feeling in that hand. No pain, and he was fine for the most part, but there were some tools he just couldn't grip/use and he ran the risk of getting hurt (since he had no feeling) since his job required reaching and installing water meters, etc.

I think that's similar to where Mariota's. He probably feels no pain, probably can do most things... but if he can't grip the ball well or can't do certain things with the ball in hand, there's no improvement there until...well... until there's improvement there. 

There is always the glove. I think about Teddy Bridgewater on that workout without the glove and how bad he looked. 

Worst case scenario he needs a glove? 

Archived