Week 2 GDT - Texans @ Titans

TitanLegend

I had the Titans losing this game before the Miami game.

Titans can certainly win this game I’m just not sure they will. 

If Will Fuller comes back please keep Butler off of him

Miller ran well yesterday vs NE so Titans will need to shut him down to have a chance.

If Evans and Landry come back I may start to change my tune for this game but it’s a very big game. 

I’m probably picking with my heart or out of fear or what it’s called that I’m picking out of but it’s just hard to pick the Titans when we havnt beaten a Texans team in a game that’s mattered where both teams are relatively healthy since like 09. Titans won against the Texans last year with them missing Watt Watson and others. 2 years ago the game didn’t matter for the Texans. The only thing really going for us is we are home and that’s where the Titans have won against the Texans when we do win.

Mariota typically doesn’t have back to back bad games so let’s hope he can feel the football and bounce back.

1 hour ago, TitanSlim said:

I know it's only week 2 but this is a must win game if we want to be playoff bound.

This article explains why you don't want to start 0-2 and how this is pretty much an elimination game for both teams.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/starting-0-2-and-week-2-elimination-games

I tend to agree. Things will be looking bleak if we’re 0-2 with a trip to Jacksonville and a date with Philly on the horizon. Especially since we would be 0-2 in the conference. I’m curious to see Fullers status. That’ll change the whole complexion of the game imo.

3 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I tend to agree. Things will be looking bleak if we’re 0-2 with a trip to Jacksonville and a date with Philly on the horizon. Especially since we would be 0-2 in the conference. I’m curious to see Fullers status. That’ll change the whole complexion of the game imo.

Practiced on a limited basis last week so sounds like he will be a go this week. Have to put Adoree on him. All we seen since he got here is Butler struggling with the guys who can burn us deep

13 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Practiced on a limited basis last week so sounds like he will be a go this week. Have to put Adoree on him. All we seen since he got here is Butler struggling with the guys who can burn us deep

Yep, and Butler on Hopkins.

15 hours ago, AteBoxx said:

Remember 2017, we started out 1-3 and turned things around to make the playoffs and win a playoff game. Unfortunately, I could see us starting out 1-3 again, but I'm not going to make my mind up about this team and season too early seeing the way the schedule is laid out.

We didn't start 1-3 last year. You might be thinking of 2016, we started 1-3 and finished 9-7 but no playoffs after that Christmas eve disaster against the Jags where Mariota's leg snapped. 

11 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

I had the Titans losing this game before the Miami game.

Titans can certainly win this game I’m just not sure they will. 

If Will Fuller comes back please keep Butler off of him

Miller ran well yesterday vs NE so Titans will need to shut him down to have a chance.

If Evans and Landry come back I may start to change my tune for this game but it’s a very big game. 

I’m probably picking with my heart or out of fear or what it’s called that I’m picking out of but it’s just hard to pick the Titans when we havnt beaten a Texans team in a game that’s mattered where both teams are relatively healthy since like 09. Titans won against the Texans last year with them missing Watt Watson and others. 2 years ago the game didn’t matter for the Texans. The only thing really going for us is we are home and that’s where the Titans have won against the Texans when we do win.

Mariota typically doesn’t have back to back bad games so let’s hope he can feel the football and bounce back.

Offensively, Dion and Jonnu will be the most important players who will determine our offensive success IMO. On 1/14/2017 in the divisional round, Dion put up 2 TDS in that game against the Texans and they had no answer to him. Regarding Jonnu, I’m not expecting over 100 yards, but he really needs to contribute to around 60-90 yards with at least 1 TD. Texans have always struggled with covering the TE and it’s just really unfortunate Walker got hurt last week — but now it’s time for Jonnu to step up.

Defensively, we need pass rush up the middle to push the pocket. Rushing from the outside isn’t going to do the trick, as this is just going to enable Deshaun to step up in the pocket and even take off for 10-15 yards if/when he chooses to run. Casey needs to have a great game pass rush wise and Daquan Jones/Austin Johnson need to step up and contribute to stopping the run. 

I don’t expect Landry or R Evans to play this week but instead see them making their debut Week 3 against Jacksonville.

If we play our best, I could see us winning 27-24. If we do not play our best, I see us losing 33-13.

Hopefully Lewan is able to make it through concussion protocol. Even though Pamphile stepped up and filled in nicely it would still be nice to have Taylor back. Here is a nice article on Pamphile from the offseason - https://titansized.com/2018/04/04/tennessee-titans-sign-kevin-pamphile-underrated/ :

"One of the big issues for teams in the NFL to navigate throughout a season is injuries, and Pamphile will be a great asset in case there is one. Pamphile can also be used as an added player on the offensive line. He can be the sixth blocker instead of a tight end, a role that Dennis Kelly has played in and done well in. This will help in both passing and running situations. If Pamphile can help open up holes for the running game, Derrick Henry will have a better season, and Dion Lewis will continue his success from 2017. Also, he can help in play action situations to protect Marcus Mariota.
This move was additionally great because it did not cost the Titans too much money. According to 
spotrac, Pamphile has a one-year deal worth a total of $1.4 million. It has $1 million in guaranteed money for the season. This is the kind of undervalued contract that helps teams take the next step. It is not the most flashy move, but Pamphile is a decent blocker that has a nose for defenders. He is also versatile and has the chance to play any position on the offensive line. If there is an injury, it is very possible that Pamphile will be able to step in at any position on the line. This is a great move by Jon Robinson and might end up being the most undervalued move of the off-season for the Titans."

43 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

We’re there any practice updates today? I seen one that Mariota was fine but anything on Evans or Landry?

Players had the day off. Tuesday is their off day. Rehab and community service is pretty much what they do on Tuesday. 

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Players had the day off. Tuesday is their off day. Rehab and community service is pretty much what they do on Tuesday. 

Oh ok got it makes sense to why we didn’t hear anything. I should have known this I’m just out of it mentally from Sunday’s game.

I don’t know why I don’t have much confidence in the Titans on Sunday normally I’m pretty level headed and have something to go off of to get me thinking in the right direction even in games I really don’t think we’ll win.

Its not even the fact we lost teams loose week 1 games all the time and end up fine. Pats lost in Miami week 1 the year they beat the Seahawks in the SB. Pats lost bad to KC last year and still went to the SB so we can bounce back I’m not worried about that.

What worries me is we have zero idea about anything about this team. Mariotas confidence is clearly shaken and just isn’t comfortable. We were told we held back things in the preseason but Sunday was a real chance to catch Miami of guard and we really didn’t see anything we read about in the training camp. Not that we would empty a whole playbook in 1 Game but just expected a little more.

Ironically the only thing I can some what wrap my head around and attempt to think it can turn out fine is the loss of Walker. The guys a true leader, great teammate, tough as nails, a warrior,  a security blanket and all of that so I’m not diminishing anything he is but the rumors of this offense was Walkers catches were going to go down anyway so maybe just maybe this forces them to use Taylor more and maybe we start to see the offense opened up more. The only thing I ask is after we ditch this TE that we just picked up from the Texans go bring back Fasano. Have Stocker and Fasano worry about the blocking so we can start to showcase Jonnu’s athleticism.

Sundays a big game. If Vrabel and co. can go out and beat the Texans and have a good home opener that these fans havnt has since the Justin Hunter catch against the Chargers 5 years ago. 

Titans are capable of beating the Texans. The Texans O-Line isn’t great but our pass rush isn’t great so we would have to get to Watson to have a chance. Watson wasn’t looking to run last week so if we can pressure him he might turn the ball over.

Titans have to find a way though not going to be a good season if we start off 0-2

Archived