Week 2: VIKINGS (1-0) at Packers (1-0)

swede700

Who will have the most receiving yards?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who will have the most receiving yards?

• Stefon Diggs
    • Davante Adams
    • Adam Thielen
    • Randall Cobb
    • Dalvin Cook
    • Geronimo Allison
    • Kyle Rudolph
    • Ty Montgomery
    • Jimmy Graham
    • Other (Post name in thread)

He hasn't been called out, but I haven't heard any praise given out as there has been for other players on the defense. I would expect a player trying to earn a top of market contract to perform like a top of market player. Those players typically stand out on the stat sheet and on the screen. 

For instance - Barr has played 100% of Defensive Snaps, and has the same number of tackles as Joseph (~80% of defensive snaps). He's not really playing the way you would expect a top tier OLB in a 4-3 defense to play.

36 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I would expect a player trying to earn a top of market contract to perform like a top of market player.

Don't all players try to perform a top of market player? I doubt anyone goes into his career saying, "man, I hope I'm just mediocre to average for my entire career." Only one player can be at the top. Doesn't mean everyone else isn't trying.

38 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

For instance - Barr has played 100% of Defensive Snaps, and has the same number of tackles as Joseph (~80% of defensive snaps). He's not really playing the way you would expect a top tier OLB in a 4-3 defense to play.

You're basing everything entirely on statistical measures, but that's not how teams evaluate.

Say Barr plays his gap, but the play goes to the opposite side of the formation where someone else made the tackle. Did Barr not do his job on that play?

No, I am not, and I'm not saying that Barr isn't doing his job. What I am saying is that Barr isn't going above and beyond like his second contract counterparts on the defense. If he wants to get paid the way that he thinks he should, he needs to do more than "his job" on a play by play basis.

It's the comments from other Vikings fans like "Glad you noticed him on Sunday because we sure haven't this year!" or "You'd expect more production and splash plays for his ability" that lead to the comments I've made about the Barr situation.

I've never suggested paying him major money, but I also don't just want to let him walk no matter what. Maybe he feels he can get more on the open market, but what if he tries that and realizes he made a mistake and wants to sign back here? Is he completely off the table? Are you guys 100% done with him? Because that's the impression I get from most Vikings fans based on comments I read, just because he doesn't make enough splash plays for your liking.

52 minutes ago, Klomp said:

It's the comments from other Vikings fans like "Glad you noticed him on Sunday because we sure haven't this year!" or "You'd expect more production and splash plays for his ability" that lead to the comments I've made about the Barr situation.

I've never suggested paying him major money, but I also don't just want to let him walk no matter what. Maybe he feels he can get more on the open market, but what if he tries that and realizes he made a mistake and wants to sign back here? Is he completely off the table? Are you guys 100% done with him? Because that's the impression I get from most Vikings fans based on comments I read, just because he doesn't make enough splash plays for your liking.

As the owner of the bolded quote I can assure you that I am not done with him as a Viking. I even said later, in this thread, that I'm sure he is doing his job. We expect more of him because we've seen him perform at a higher level is all, at least that is my take. Is it wrong to expect more out of a player who has shown they're capable of it?

52 minutes ago, Klomp said:

If that’s what you’re getting from people’s comments, then I think you’re trying to read far too deep into what people have said. 

I have yet to see anyone write that they don’t want Barr back, or that they’re “done” with him. Everyone has acknowledged that he’s a good player. 

The conversation about re-signing Barr long term, or not, is tied to re-signing other players long term (Richardson/Waynes), and if a choice has to be made, where the priority should be placed. And in this thread, people simply aren’t putting Barr at the top of the list, citing his lack of playmaking ability as the primary reason. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Andrew Sendejo does his job. Would you pay him the same as Harrison Smith?

I think they have very different roles.  Smith is more versatile than Sendejo, and has more responsibility on defense.  He should be paid more.  Yet, the Sendejo/Barr comparison is both good in the sense that they are very competent players in this defense, but also bad, in the sense that they have very different responsibilities, AND Barr is more versatile in the defense.  All I am saying is that Barr is a very good linebacker in this defense.  I am not certain that his production will be as easily replaced as some here imagine.  Is he a top 10 linebacker? No.  Is he better than most? I would say so, and he deserves a new contract.  I won't speculate whether or not it's a contract that would make him happy...but, a new contract offer would be worth it to the Vikings.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said safety Andrew Sendejo‘s form and delivery was correct on a hit that drew a 15-yard penalty. According to Zimmer, an official told Sendejo that “they just want us to throw a flag.”

“[Sendejo] said, ‘What could I have done different?’” Zimmer said on KFAN, via Courtney Cronin of ESPN. “The official said ‘You did everything right. You couldn’t have done anything different. They just want us to throw the flag.'”

Zimmer asked the league office to review Sendejo’s hit on Packers receiver Davante Adams in the third quarter. Video replay shows Sendejo leading with his right shoulder after cornerback Xavier Rhodes made initial contact with Adams, according to Cronin. The penalty, one of 15 called by referee Tony Corrente’s crew, was overshadowed by the controversial roughing the passer penalty on Packers linebacker Clay Matthews.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/19/mike-zimmer-andrew-sendejo-told-he-did-everything-right-despite-flag/

Archived