GDT: Week 2 - Cowboys vs Giants - Loser misses playoffs

Texas_OutLaw7

14 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

NYG - 14
Dallas - 24

Rebound. 

Is there any chance that the starters, Dak, Zeke, Lee, Tyron etc. Were just rusty as hell because they didn't play the final two games of preseason? And then opened on the road?

Funny thing to keep in mind is how our last 4 seasons started out.

2014: opened with ugly loss to 49ers with Romo looking HORRIBLE and rusty. End result was first playoff win in 20 years.

2015: opened with a thrilling high scoring victory over the Giants. Scott Linehan looked great with his perfection of the Romo friendly offense, and the departure of Murray. End result was a 4-12 season

2016: opened with an embarrassing loss to the Giants. Dak and Zekes first game ever and both looked rusty, and unsure. End result was #1 seed in the NFC. 

2017: opened with a statement 19-3 win vs. The same Giants who had beat us twice the year before. Dak finally got the monkey off his back and beat NY.  Zeke doubled his total to 104 yards from his opening day performance a year ago of just 52. End result was a dissapointing 9-7 season that included a  nail biting narrow win in week 17, against an eagles team trying to forfeit.

2018: opened with an ugly, embarrassing loss, that featured TE screens, poor QB and OL play, and Zeke with under 100. End result ....????

It goes back to 2013 even. We opened with a big win over the Giants. Romo was 36/49, Murray over 100 total yards, Witten with 2 TDs, Carr with a 50 yard pick 6, Church with a fumble return for TD, and picked Eli 3 times total with forced fumbles.

We went 8-8 that year.

In 2012 we opened against the Giants again. And beat them again. Romo over 300 yards, Murray over 130 rushing, and Kevin Ogletree with 8 catches 114 yards and 2 TDs. Kevin Ogletree.

Another eventual 8-8 year.

Since the 2012 season the only season openers we have lost are 2014, 2016, and this year.

3 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Let's get some Giants fan in here:
@Acgott, @GMENNATION, @Shockey1979, @ny92mike, @GmenSeattle, @Gmen19851

Appreciate the invite, unfortunately I wouldn't hold my opinion too high as I missed the Dallas game.  Had planned on watching it but had family stop in unexpectedly.  I'll try to catch the replay this week, but watching the highlights (which doesn't paint the picture).  It didn't look like Dallas respected Cam's ability to run the ball.  Something you don't have to concern yourself with Eli Manning's sticky feet.

On Dallas offense, Dak couldn't find open receivers and was forced to take the sacks.  Carolina was also successful in stopping the ground game, which was surprising because I fully expected Zeke to have a solid game.

Again, I'll try to catch the game from last week to provide more to this debate.

Nonetheless, the Giants offensive line is still a train wreck and something they must continue to get better at but Flowers is still the issue.  I wish Eli had more time to throw the ball.  The rookie looked good out there but would have looked a lot better behind a better line.  Until the Giants can correct this we'll never be able to effectively open up this passing game.

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

Appreciate the invite, unfortunately I wouldn't hold my opinion too high as I missed the Dallas game.  Had planned on watching it but had family stop in unexpectedly.  I'll try to catch the replay this week, but watching the highlights (which doesn't paint the picture).  It didn't look like Dallas respected Cam's ability to run the ball.  Something you don't have to concern yourself with Eli Manning's sticky feet.

You are correct. It was baffling. They made the adjustment, and started "expecting" it in the 2nd half, but early on it appeared as though they hadn't incorporated Cam running in the weekly game plan. More coaching woes.

But the defense overall wasn't the problem. They held the Panthers to less than 300 total yards and 16 points. That should be enough to win.

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

On Dallas offense, Dak couldn't find open receivers and was forced to take the sacks.  Carolina was also successful in stopping the ground game, which was surprising because I fully expected Zeke to have a solid game.

I agree with you on Dak, and it definitely made it hard on Zeke. I think everyone expected a big day from Zeke but it may have more to do with carries than anything.  He averaged 4.6 YPC on only 15 touches. So he did okay with his limited opportunities.  I think everyone was expecting 25-30 touches. That's what we had been promised. Yet, we ran more screens to the TEs than we did Zeke, and he didn't touch the ball at all in the final 2 drives. One of which had a 1st and 10 from the 50 with 3 minutes to go. So not a huge rush. And we were never getting blown out so it made no sense for Linehan to abandon the run for the 1,000th time 

7 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I like this signing. Former 2nd round pick. Lots of starting experience. And, let's be honest, probably better than Connor Williams right now.

Most likely. All those concerns about CW's playing strength I remember reading about appear to be real. Not that there aren't a bunch of guys who have had problems with Poe and Short. 

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

Most likely. All those concerns about CW's playing strength I remember reading about appear to be real. Not that there aren't a bunch of guys who have had problems with Poe and Short. 

I read someone wondering why they don't move Collins back inside, as he has the body to handle those big DTs,  and Williams has the quickness to handle DEs. 

Other than "messing with chemistry" I can't really argue against It.

Archived