2018 WEEK 2 Ravens @ Bengals TNF

paraven

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

No, he won't.

But I believe a DeLance Turner could be, as he has more speed than Allen. I suggested in a tweet to Ken McKusick, that Janarion Grant also could take snaps at runningback, which he did in college, to take advantage of his speed and ability to make defenders miss in open space.

7 minutes ago, Danand said:

But I believe a DeLance Turner could be, as he has more speed than Allen. I suggested in a tweet to Ken McKusick, that Janarion Grant also could take snaps at runningback, which he did in college, to take advantage of his speed and ability to make defenders miss in open space.

Also no. Why does nobody here like Buck Allen!? Did he bully y'all in high school or something?! The dude is a solid all-around back and yet everyweek people are like "he sucks, let's replace him with this QB or UDFA RB we just called up". 

14 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Also no. Why does nobody here like Buck Allen!? Did he bully y'all in high school or something?! The dude is a solid all-around back and yet everyweek people are like "he sucks, let's replace him with this QB or UDFA RB we just called up". 

I didn't say he sucked, but Buck Allen is the epitome of a player who can easily be replaced by a player with a better skillset. Allens average whether it is in the passing or the rungame shows just exactly what a guy he is, a guy who can move the chains and be a decent red zone option, but doesn't have something he is really good at. He can't win with speed or power, and while he does have nice balance it is rarely enough to break longer runs. 

Turner has shown a knack for breaking big runs. This is a game where breaking a big run could mean a hell of a lot of a difference compared to a Buck Allen who has a 4.0 run average and 3.5 average per pass play.

7 minutes ago, Danand said:

I didn't say he sucked, but Buck Allen is the epitome of a player who can easily be replaced by a player with a better skillset. Allens average whether it is in the passing or the rungame shows just exactly what a guy he is, a guy who can move the chains and be a decent red zone option, but doesn't have something he is really good at. He can't win with speed or power, and while he does have nice balance it is rarely enough to break longer runs. 

Turner has shown a knack for breaking big runs. This is a game where breaking a big run could mean a hell of a lot of a difference compared to a Buck Allen who has a 4.0 run average and 3.5 average per pass play.

So basically you're going to bench our best pass catching back, and short yardage back, for a UDFA PS guy we just called up because he broke a couple big runs in preseason games against 4th stringers?

Come on, guys......we're better than this.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So basically you're going to bench our best pass catching back, and short yardage back, for a UDFA PS guy we just called up because he broke a couple big runs in preseason games against 4th stringers?

Come on, guys......we're better than this.

Why are you acting like I offended your ancestors?

I acknowledge that Turner has a skillset, that might be useful against the Bengals and that he could be a valuable chess piece to use in this game. I would still prefer Allen to handle goal line carries.

And again, Allen can catch passes, but he can't do much after the catch.

1 minute ago, Danand said:

Why are you acting like I offended your ancestors?

I acknowledge that Turner has a skillset, that might be useful against the Bengals and that he could be a valuable chess piece to use in this game. I would still prefer Allen to handle goal line carries.

And again, Allen can catch passes, but he can't do much after the catch.

Earlier you suggested he'd be our RB2, though, not just a "chess piece" to use in very specific and ultimately rare scenarios. There is 0% chance of that happening because of the additional responsibilities that Buck Allen carries, including pass protection/pass catching/short yardage/goalline, etc.

2 hours ago, RavensDefense3 said:

Buck Allen isn't some great player, he isn't elusive, fast and doesn't run with power he's easy to tackle and goes down against the first defender most of the time.

Agree. He's replacement level. Good hands, but no other strong traits for a RB.

With Dixon hurt, we really need Collins to pan out as the RB1.

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

My sense is that Buck never gets extra yards.  He does exactly as expected, nothing more.

1 hour ago, alfalcone said:

My sense is that Buck never gets extra yards.  He does exactly as expected, nothing more.

Exactly. There is no personal reason to dislike Allen. It's just watching what he does when the play goes to him. He's the epitome of inefficient offense. Getting exactly what the line blocks for you in the run game. Getting a short reception underneath that the defense is willing to give up. Not many boneheaded or super negative plays, but constantly underwhelming and wasting snaps and downs. 

I was on island being anti-Buck, but the reverse band-wagon is growing.

3 hours ago, RavensDefense3 said:

Buck Allen isn't some great player, he isn't elusive, fast and doesn't run with power he's easy to tackle and goes down against the first defender most of the time.

Yeah he doesn't do anything at an elite level but he does everything at a solid level, and he's very good at getting short yardage gains and falling forwards.

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

Agree. He's replacement level. Good hands, but no other strong traits for a RB.

With Dixon hurt, we really need Collins to pan out as the RB1.

Collins has panned out at RB1. That's been solved.

1 hour ago, alfalcone said:

Which isn't a bad thing. He doesn't blow blocking assignments. He doesn't fumble. He doesn't hit the wrong hole. He doesn't drop passes. He does what you ask and produces yards/first downs/touchdowns.

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Exactly. There is no personal reason to dislike Allen. It's just watching what he does when the play goes to him. He's the epitome of inefficient offense. Getting exactly what the line blocks for you in the run game. Getting a short reception underneath that the defense is willing to give up. Not many boneheaded or super negative plays, but constantly underwhelming and wasting snaps and downs. 

I was on island being anti-Buck, but the reverse band-wagon is growing.

I think the way to think about Buck Allen is that he is the opposite of Alex Collins, he doesn't create missed tackles or yards after contact https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/alex-collins-emerges-as-lead-back-in-baltimore

Archived